Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many vets did you go threw until you were finally satisfied? Or were you lucky with your first choice?

I was recommed to my current Vet by 2-3 people. I went just twice but the second visit just didn't sit right with me. I can't really put my finger on it. Only negative thing I can say was that the second visit I felt VERY RUSHED out the door. When the vet came into the room HE just seemed very rushed, asked me very few questions, looked at Chulita, gave her, her shots and was ready to walk out the door....meanwhile I had a question. and when I had a question and didn't understand his answer he just seemed to answer me...with this tone...sort of..don't know......it may of been just me.

Another thing I don't like so far is that you DON'T have the same doctor everytime you go so you dont' get to build a relationship with them. I was telling someone about my current vet this morning who owns 3 dogs and she gave me a business card for her Vet and Highly recommened me to him..another friend of mine takes her cat there and also recommened this same place to me. My friend with the Cat USE TO go to my current vet and didn't care for it much and switched vets when she got a new cat.

Anyhow..........I just called because Chulita is due for he( I HOPE) LAST set of shots next month. ALREADY I LIKE that they have SATURDAY hours for us working Mommies.
Hopefully THIS PLACE WILL BE THE ONE FOR ME AND CHULITA.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I went through two. The first one was a one-doc practice. I could call him at home anytime; he took Rosebud (my first Malt) home with him after surgery. BUT she was burned on the operating table during surgery; she stopped breathing on the operating table (due to a bad combination of drugs, I later found out) and eventually he hired emotionally challenged people through a work program with a social services agency and they teased the dogs, etc. Even with all that, it was hard to leave. He was a very caring guy and I felt loyal to him for some reason.

Luckily, I got up the guts to write him a letter telling him why I was leaving, which was due to the emotionally challenged workers-- One left a dog in the sink and the vet's wife dropped by and found the dog hanging out of the sink by the neck restraint. I had a friend who was a vet tech there and he told me all this. So, I asked him who was considered the best vet in town and he told me and I went to him.

I am so glad I did. It is like night and day. But he takes no calls at home; would never take a dog home with him. But I am very, very happy with him and the practice. He's a very bright guy who communicates well. I particularly like the way he interacts with K & C and with me. That is important to me.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina@Nov 22 2005, 02:24 PM
how many vets did you go threw until you were finally satisfied?  Or were you lucky with your first choice?

I was recommed to my current Vet by 2-3 people.  I went just twice but the second visit just didn't sit right with me.  I can't really put my finger on it.  Only negative thing I can say was that the second visit I felt VERY RUSHED out the door. When the vet came into the room HE just seemed very rushed, asked me very few questions, looked at Chulita, gave her, her shots and was ready to walk out the door....meanwhile I had a question. and when I had a question and didn't understand his answer he just seemed to answer me...with this tone...sort of..don't know......it may of been just me.

Another thing I don't like so far is that you DON'T have the same doctor everytime you go so you dont' get to build a relationship with them.  I was telling someone about my current vet this morning who owns 3 dogs and she gave me a business card for her Vet and Highly recommened me to him..another friend of mine takes her cat there and also recommened this same place to me.  My friend with the Cat USE TO go to my current vet and didn't care for it much and switched vets when she got a new cat. 

Anyhow..........I just called because Chulita is due for he( I HOPE) LAST set of shots next month.  ALREADY I LIKE that they have SATURDAY hours for us working Mommies. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122352
[/QUOTE]
The vet clinic I'm on is my 3rd since getting Lexi. I really, really, really like the one vet. When I took Nikki in to be spayed she remember Lexi had a problem pooping when she got spayed over a year ago. I actually had them put in my file that I would prefer to see this vet unless she is not available. I've seen her everytime except once when I forgot to remind them. I think the vet I like was on vacation too. She also takes her time and has never once rushed me. She always asks if I have any questions and will answer them all. She is always telling me to call if I have anymore.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Nov 22 2005, 03:34 PM
I went through two. The first one was a one-doc practice. I could call him at home anytime; he took Rosebud (my first Malt) home with him after surgery. BUT she was burned on the operating table during surgery; she stopped breathing on the operating table (due to a bad combination of drugs) and he hired emotionally challenged people through a work program with a social services agency to work for him who teased the dogs, etc. Even with all that, it was hard to leave. He was a very caring guy and I felt loyal to him for some reason.

Luckily, I got up the guts to write him a letter telling him why I was leaving, which was due to the emotionally challenged workers-- One left a dog in the sink and the vet's wife dropped by and found the dog hanging out of the sink by the neck restraint. I had a friend who was a vet tech there and he told me all this. So, I asked him who was considered the best vet in town and he told me and I went to him.

I am so glad I did. It is like night and day. But he takes no calls at home; would never take a dog home with him. But I am very, very happy with him and the practice. He's a very bright guy who communicates well. I particularly like the way he interacts with K & C and with me. That is important to me. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122362
[/QUOTE]

My friend on the train said that her Vet is VERY FRIENDLY with dogs and interacts with them etc. etc... which is more than I can say for the current place I go to. I have printed reciepts with what shots were given to her, the date, her weight etc. That should be enough to bring with me right? I really don't feel like telling my current place that I'm TRYING another vet and asking for her "records". What if the new place does not work out? Then I will back over by them and wouldn't know how to look at them in the face. LOL They don't have much of a record on Chulita..I have only been there for 2 visits. I just called and her stool samples came back negative. The new place told me to bring a stool sample with me as well.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Nov 22 2005, 03:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-bklynlatina
@Nov 22 2005, 02:24 PM
how many vets did you go threw until you were finally satisfied?  Or were you lucky with your first choice?

I was recommed to my current Vet by 2-3 people.  I went just twice but the second visit just didn't sit right with me.  I can't really put my finger on it.  Only negative thing I can say was that the second visit I felt VERY RUSHED out the door. When the vet came into the room HE just seemed very rushed, asked me very few questions, looked at Chulita, gave her, her shots and was ready to walk out the door....meanwhile I had a question. and when I had a question and didn't understand his answer he just seemed to answer me...with this tone...sort of..don't know......it may of been just me.

Another thing I don't like so far is that you DON'T have the same doctor everytime you go so you dont' get to build a relationship with them.  I was telling someone about my current vet this morning who owns 3 dogs and she gave me a business card for her Vet and Highly recommened me to him..another friend of mine takes her cat there and also recommened this same place to me.  My friend with the Cat USE TO go to my current vet and didn't care for it much and switched vets when she got a new cat. 

Anyhow..........I just called because Chulita is due for he( I HOPE) LAST set of shots next month.  ALREADY I LIKE that they have SATURDAY hours for us working Mommies. 
The vet clinic I'm on is my 3rd since getting Lexi. I really, really, really like the one vet. When I took Nikki in to be spayed she remember Lexi had a problem pooping when she got spayed over a year ago. I actually had them put in my file that I would prefer to see this vet unless she is not available. I've seen her everytime except once when I forgot to remind them. I think the vet I like was on vacation too. She also takes her time and has never once rushed me. She always asks if I have any questions and will answer them all. She is always telling me to call if I have anymore.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122364
[/B][/QUOTE]

When you went to your current vet did you have to bring copies of your dogs records from the previous vets????

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 22 2005, 02:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Nov 22 2005, 03:34 PM
I went through two. The first one was a one-doc practice. I could call him at home anytime; he took Rosebud (my first Malt) home with him after surgery. BUT she was burned on the operating table during surgery; she stopped breathing on the operating table (due to a bad combination of drugs) and he hired emotionally challenged people through a work program with a social services agency to work for him who teased the dogs, etc. Even with all that, it was hard to leave. He was a very caring guy and I felt loyal to him for some reason.

My friend on the train said that her Vet is VERY FRIENDLY with dogs and interacts with them etc. etc... which is more than I can say for the current place I go to. I have printed reciepts with what shots were given to her, the date, her weight etc. That should be enough to bring with me right? I really don't feel like telling my current place that I'm TRYING another vet and asking for her "records". What if the new place does not work out? Then I will back over by them and wouldn't know how to look at them in the face. LOL They don't have much of a record on Chulita..I have only been there for 2 visits. I just called and her stool samples came back negative. The new place told me to bring a stool sample with me as well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122371
[/B][/QUOTE]

I did get all the records from my old vet when I switched. That's why I wrote a letter and told the vet how much I appreciated the care he had given Rosebud, etc. and told him where I was going. I wanted to be able to look him in the eye if I ever saw him. They faxed over all the records to the new vet. Truly, I'm sure they are used to people coming and going and shouldn't be offended if you ask for copies of the records. If you don't like the new vet, you may want to keep looking rather than going back to the old vet who you know already that you don't like.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 22 2005, 02:43 PM-->

[/B][/QUOTE]
I think you can just ask for a summary print out and give that to the vet. Or just take your print out.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 22 2005, 03:52 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2005, 02:43 PM

[/QUOTE]

I did get all the records from my old vet when I switched. That's why I wrote a letter and told the vet how much I appreciated the care he had given Rosebud, etc. and told him where I was going. I wanted to be able to look him in the eye if I ever saw him. They faxed over all the records to the new vet. Truly, I'm sure they are used to people coming and going and shouldn't be offended if you ask for copies of the records. If you don't like the new vet, you may want to keep looking rather than going back to the old vet who you know already that you don't like.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122375
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm such a whimp when it comes to these things. I'm going to call next month and ask them for her records.
She was there just for 2 visits and to get shots so there is not much on her records. I may be just fine with what I have...which are the prints out of what was done...date, weight, what shots were given that day.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 22 2005, 02:45 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 22 2005, 03:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bklynlatina
@Nov 22 2005, 02:24 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122364

[/QUOTE]

When you went to your current vet did you have to bring copies of your dogs records from the previous vets????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122372
[/B][/QUOTE]
The first time I went there was when Lexi got spayed. I don't think I took any of my records. I had them at home though. When I got the reminder card in the mail from one of the old vets I just made an appointment at the new vet and told them what it was for.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 22 2005, 02:59 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 22 2005, 03:52 PM

I'm such a whimp when it comes to these things. I'm going to call next month and ask them for her records.
She was there just for 2 visits and to get shots so there is not much on her records. I may be just fine with what I have...which are the prints out of what was done...date, weight, what shots were given that day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122378
[/B][/QUOTE]
Do the prints show when she is due for them again? What you have is probably fine. I try to keep all of those print outs in a folder at home. THat way I knew everything that was done and when.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I/We are currently on our third clinic. The first one, I feel was partly responsible for the death of my doxie (the vet wouldn't listen to me when I kept telling her something was seriously wrong), plus you never saw the same vet.

The second clinic was much like the first, never saw the same vet and they were terribly rude! They charged for EVERYTHING! I know I have said this before, but it still blows me away...I asked the vet a question and his answer to me was, "I can't answer that because I am the vet and I KNOW the answer." What kind of answer is that in response to the question, "What do you think is the best treatment?"

Finally, we found this vet. She is so nice. I went to her knowing nothing about her or her business. She had just opened her practice and sent out flyers to our neighborhood. One thing that I do like about her practice is that she only deals with dogs. I think that is not only a smart marketing move, but she also concentrates on one type of animal.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Nov 22 2005, 04:03 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 22 2005, 03:52 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122378
[/QUOTE]
Do the prints show when she is due for them again? What you have is probably fine. I try to keep all of those print outs in a folder at home. THat way I knew everything that was done and when.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122382
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I'm thinking...what I have should be good being she was only there twice and only for shots. There's no "medical history" on her yet.

Well when I went for the first visit in October...it said next NEXT VISIT NOVEMBER?? - Just like that. Then I got a reminder card to set up an appt in November so I called and set it up. Now it says NEXT VISIT DECEMBER??? so I guess I will ger a reminder card late this month early next month do set up an appt for December. She got her shots on November 11 so I set up her appointment for December 10th.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
How old is she. THis is probably her last sent of puppy shots. I would recommend NOT getting the rabies shot at the next visit. Wait 3 weeks then go back and get it. You will probably have to pay for the office visit but this is better for the puppy. I got Lexi's done at the same time as the last puppy shot and she was really out of it and throw up that night. I spaced Nikki's out and she was fine besides being sore.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I bring my Max to a big place called South Shore Animal Hospital. It's only a few blocks away from home. They are open all sorts of hours with Sundays for emergencies.

They have different vets. I had two different vets for both his last visits. I liked both, but I liked the second one better. She was extremely thorough and filling me in on EVERYTHING I need to know for having a puppy. Even stuff I already knew. At my vet place, you are welcomed to request a specific vet. I think I will request my second one, so that I can form a relationship with her and she gets to know Max.

I love my vet office because all the assistants come running to say hello to Max and want to hold him and kiss him, etc. I think it's great for him, he LOVES the attention. He also gave kisses to the Vet after his boosters. I was happy about that. Dont want the office to traumatize him.

My Vet also reccomended to get the rabies shot after all the other shots on it's own. This way we know if he has a bad reaction, we will know what gave it to him.

You have every right to change vets if you don't feel comfortable with them. I would keep a set of records on his health for myself at home. My place has everything computerized. So, when they hand me a bill, everything that was done is listed on it. This way I have records of everything.

Hope you are happy with the next one you choose.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
we went thru one (highly recommended) vet prior to finding Dr B in Atlanta. the first vet we were recommended, was very specialized in small breed dogs. he misdiagnosed buttercup's (SEVERE!!!) ear infection for DEAFNESS. after talking to our second opinion vet, i was like "Is he KIDDING????" i was just outraged. he misdiagnosed another dog we had with us, and it was just ridiculous. he no longer practices in the state of georgia.

our second vet was awesome. small clinic. Dr B specialized in small animals, but also took in some patients who were larger breeds due to their "smaller brothers and sisters" at home. we loved everything about them. they NEVER once made me feel like "paranoid dog mom". that's very important.

coming up here, i asked an owner of 3 pugs where he took his dogs, and he recommended a clinic that has about 4-5 vets. every time i've been there, i always ask others in the waiting room who their favorite vet is, and every single person has said "love 'em all. NEVER a bad experience with ANY of them." good to hear! LOL buttercup loves Dr Nick, but apparently ALL the females do.... LOLOLOLOL

trust your gut. you can ALWAYS have your "new" vet call the "old" vet and ask for them to fax over your dog's records. this is my chicken way of getting records. especially since i hate admitting that i didnt take very good notes or keep many of my receipts from buttercup's initial vet visits. bad dog mom me, i know....

good luck in vet searching!!!!!

ann marie and the "i luuuuuuuub Dr Nick, he's PRETTTTYYYY like ME!" buttercup

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We have been to probably over 12 vets in the last 2 years. I know, its outrageous!! But we have moved around at least 3 times since having Miko and we live part time in 2 different cities (its a long story -- but its due to school reasons). In addition, if I am not comfortable with a vet, I move on!! Its way too expensive to get poor care for my dog. The few vets I have really liked were internal medicine specialists and although I am not sure, I think this specialty means they do a residency after vet school like we do in med school. I think that its important to talk to people with little dogs and see who they are happy with and to shop around to some extent especially if your pup has a health issue of any sort.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 22 2005, 05:02 PM
How old is she.  THis is probably her last sent of puppy shots.  I would recommend NOT getting the rabies shot at the next visit.  Wait 3 weeks then go back and get it.  You will probably have to pay for the office visit but this is better for the puppy.  I got Lexi's done at the same time as the last puppy shot and she was really out of it and throw up that night.  I spaced Nikki's out and she was fine besides being sore.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122409
[/QUOTE]

She turned 4 months old on November 7th. When she came from the breeder it looks like she came with 2 sets of shots already....she got shots at 7 weeks and then again at 10. I may be reading the card wrong. But since then she has gotten another 2 at my current vet. ISN'T THAT TOO MANY SHOTS already!!! Again I may be reading the card wrong. I made sure to bring with me when I went to my first Vet visit so they could see what shot were given to her already. I was trying to figure it out again last night.

Well I will keep that in mind when I go to the NEW VET if he is just going to give her a Rabies shot then she will be fine but if he's going to give her another set of shots AND the Rabies all at once I will ask him if he could give the Rabies seperate.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by MaxMommy@Nov 22 2005, 06:37 PM
I bring my Max to a big place called South Shore Animal Hospital.  It's only a few blocks away from home.  They are open all sorts of hours with Sundays for emergencies.

They have different vets.  I had two different vets for both his last visits.  I liked both, but I liked the second one better.  She was extremely thorough and filling me in on EVERYTHING I need to know for having a puppy.  Even stuff I already knew.  At my vet place, you are welcomed to request a specific vet.  I think I will request my second one, so that I can form a relationship with her and she gets to know Max.

I love my vet office because all the assistants come running to say hello to Max and want to hold him and kiss him, etc.  I think it's great for him, he LOVES the attention.  He also gave kisses to the Vet after his boosters.  I was happy about that.  Dont want the office to traumatize him.

My Vet also reccomended to get the rabies shot after all the other shots on it's own.  This way we know if he has a bad reaction, we will know what gave it to him.

You have every right to change vets if you don't feel comfortable with them.  I would keep a set of records on his health for myself at home.  My place has everything computerized.  So, when they hand me a bill, everything that was done is listed on it.  This way I have records of everything.

Hope you are happy with the next one you choose.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122444
[/QUOTE]

That's one of the thingst that I DON'T like about my current vet it getting whatever vet is available for the appt. I want to have ONE vet see Chulita all the time to build a relationship with me and get to know her. I was told by both my friends that you can make all appointments with the one vet you like. :D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Nov 23 2005, 01:19 AM
we went thru one (highly recommended) vet prior to finding Dr B in Atlanta.  the first vet we were recommended, was very specialized in small breed dogs.  he misdiagnosed buttercup's (SEVERE!!!) ear infection for DEAFNESS.  after talking to our second opinion vet, i was like "Is he KIDDING????" i was just outraged.  he misdiagnosed another dog we had with us, and it was just ridiculous.  he no longer practices in the state of georgia. 

our second vet was awesome.  small clinic. Dr B specialized in small animals, but also took in some patients who were larger breeds due to their "smaller brothers and sisters" at home.  we loved everything about them.  they NEVER once made me feel like "paranoid dog mom".  that's very important. 

coming up here, i asked an owner of 3 pugs where he took his dogs, and he recommended a clinic that has about 4-5 vets.  every time i've been there, i always ask others in the waiting room who their favorite vet is, and every single person has said "love 'em all.  NEVER a bad experience with ANY of them."  good to hear!  LOL  buttercup loves Dr Nick, but apparently ALL the females do.... LOLOLOLOL 

trust your gut.  you can ALWAYS have your "new" vet call the "old" vet and ask for them to fax over your dog's records.  this is my chicken way of getting records.  especially since i hate admitting that i didnt take very good notes or keep many of my receipts from buttercup's initial vet visits.  bad dog mom me, i know....

good luck in vet searching!!!!!

ann marie and the "i luuuuuuuub Dr Nick, he's PRETTTTYYYY like ME!" buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122561
[/QUOTE]

LOL!! Your funny...about your "whimp way" of getting a copy of the records. I guess I can do that...but I was thinking lastnight and said to myself....YOU KNOW WHAT??? It's your dog, you pay alot of money for these visits and you don't have to explain why you would like a copy of your dog's records..LOL So I'm just going to call and TELL THEM to please make a copy of her record for me and THAT'S IT. If they ask me why...I'm just going to say because I would like to keep a copy of what tests have been done on her at home.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 23 2005, 08:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 22 2005, 05:02 PM
How old is she.  THis is probably her last sent of puppy shots.  I would recommend NOT getting the rabies shot at the next visit.  Wait 3 weeks then go back and get it.  You will probably have to pay for the office visit but this is better for the puppy.  I got Lexi's done at the same time as the last puppy shot and she was really out of it and throw up that night.  I spaced Nikki's out and she was fine besides being sore.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122409

She turned 4 months old on November 7th. When she came from the breeder it looks like she came with 2 sets of shots already....she got shots at 7 weeks and then again at 10. I may be reading the card wrong. But since then she has gotten another 2 at my current vet. ISN'T THAT TOO MANY SHOTS already!!! Again I may be reading the card wrong. I made sure to bring with me when I went to my first Vet visit so they could see what shot were given to her already. I was trying to figure it out again last night.

Well I will keep that in mind when I go to the NEW VET if he is just going to give her a Rabies shot then she will be fine but if he's going to give her another set of shots AND the Rabies all at once I will ask him if he could give the Rabies seperate.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122603
[/B][/QUOTE]
I think some vets don't trust the breeders and will give the shots again. I think that is what the vet I went to when I first got Lexi did. But I was actually glad he did. I have since found out Lexi's breeder was a puppymill. I got papers from the gov that says that they found out the vaccines she was using were expired.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts