Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to take Belle for a walk, but it is sort of a pain because she spends all of her time with her nose to the ground and picking up every little thing she sees to eat. If it is a leaf or something like that I'm OK with it but sometimes it is a tiny rock and I spend all my time watching her and it takes away from the walk. How do you stop your little ones from doing this or is it something she will outgrow as she gets older? My husband and I are beginning to think maybe a muzzle but that sounds too harsh. Is there anyone else dealing with this? ~ Jackie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Peanut used to do that too. What I did was teach him the 'leave it' command. We practiced with toys and treats. After he picked up the toy or treat, I would say leave it, and nicely take it from his mouth. It took practice, of course, but now when he wants to pick something up off the ground all I say is 'leave it' and he ignores whatever had his interest. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Yes, Kallie did that, too. I think what you have to do is just walk... don't stop... that's what I see most of my neighbors doing... when they walk, their dogs aren't sniffing around or anything... they are doing a constant brisk walk. It may not be as much fun for Belle but I think it is safer. I don't like mine walking in the natural areas where other dogs do their business... who knows what germs, diseases, etc. are there. And Kallie wants to sniff other dogs' feces and that could spread disease to her. And of course who knows what is on the ground that she would try to eat. I got off on the wrong foot totally with her for walks and now it is hard to do the brisk walk thing with her. We don't go for a walk that often, though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Ruby Jean does this too-in our own yard-she wants to smell everything and then put it in her mouth-I'm going to start teaching her the leave it command. ~Thanks for sharing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teaching her the "leave it" command, that sounds great. Thanks. I try to keep walking with her but it feels like I am always pulling on Belle to keep her walking and stay away from the checking the ground for something to put in the mouth. I have been doing the "no" but that hasn't worked. I agree that if I could use Belle for a vacuum around the house that would be great, but unfortunately my husband often isn't as careful as he should be about the wood he puts in the wood burning stove, there are little tiny pieces that have fallen from the wood that Belle finds as gourmet meals so I always have to do a check and vacuum before I let her roam around the house supervised. She can be faster than me which isn't always good. That's where the name White Lightening comes in. Tomorrow if it isn't raining too hard we will try the "leave it" command. We live on a cul de sac and are very near a trail so I am able to keep her away from other dog feces. :new_Eyecrazy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Maltese Adora-Belle@Feb 27 2005, 08:46 PM
Teaching her the "leave it" command, that sounds great.  Thanks.  I try to keep walking with her but it feels like I am always pulling on Belle to keep her walking and stay away from the checking the ground for something to put in the mouth.  I have been doing the "no" but that hasn't worked.  I agree that if I could use Belle for a vacuum around the house that would be great, but unfortunately my husband often isn't as careful as he should be about the wood he puts in the wood burning stove, there are little tiny pieces that have fallen from the wood that Belle finds as gourmet meals so I always have to do a check and vacuum before I let her roam around the house supervised.  She can be faster than me which isn't always good.  That's where the name White Lightening comes in.  Tomorrow if it isn't raining too hard we will try the "leave it" command.  We live on a cul de sac and are very near a trail so I am able to keep her away from other dog feces. :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38262
[/QUOTE]

You may want to go for some training for her to learn the "heel" command and how to walk without stopping to pick up things, etc. Now, I have never excelled at getting this right with mine but I always have admired others who have!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
How old is your pup... cause kodie is in that phase too now.. he even does it in the house... he picks up fuzzies on the carpet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Originally posted by Maltese Adora-Belle@Feb 27 2005, 06:26 PM
I love to take Belle for a walk, but it is sort of a pain because she spends all of her time with her nose to the ground and picking up every little thing she sees to eat.  If it is a leaf or something like that I'm OK with it but sometimes it is a tiny rock and I spend all my time watching her and it takes away from the walk.  How do you stop your little ones from doing this or is it something she will outgrow as she gets older?  My husband and I are beginning to think maybe a muzzle but that sounds too harsh.  Is there anyone else dealing with this? ~ Jackie
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38242
[/QUOTE]

lol Maxi likes to (I SAY TRY )because i stop him every time he likes to rub his side of his face on worms dont ask me what this means cause i have no idea he also likes to grab the fallen branches..sometimes its a pain to me because i have to keep my eye on him 24/7 I find myself the entire walk going stop it stop it
but he loves to be outside so i guess it goes with the walks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 28 2005, 07:25 AM
How old is your pup... cause kodie is in that phase too now.. he even does it in the house... he picks up fuzzies on the carpet!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38400
[/QUOTE]
Belle will be 7 months old on the 5th of March. Sounds like I will just have to be vigilant and wait for her to outgrow this. Yep, Belle also picks up anything she finds on the carpet, no matter how minute it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Maltese Adora-Belle+Feb 28 2005, 11:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Feb 28 2005, 07:25 AM
How old is your pup... cause kodie is in that phase too now.. he even does it in the house... he picks up fuzzies on the carpet!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38400
Belle will be 7 months old on the 5th of March. Sounds like I will just have to be vigilant and wait for her to outgrow this. Yep, Belle also picks up anything she finds on the carpet, no matter how minute it is.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38469
[/B][/QUOTE]
man... kodie is almost 2yrs old!!! hahaha... kodie is slower than normal dogs when it comes to development... sooo.. he maybe just behind in this phase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
Heehheheh,thats how Kirbie got his name.When we first got him he tried to pick up everything he found on the floor.My daughter Jamie said...you gotta name him Kirbie after the vaccume cleaner!!!!So Kirbie it was!!!!!!He out grew it as he got a litle older.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Our floors have never been so clean!! Either Joe or I vacuum every day now, just in case there is anything down there we can't see because for sure she'll find it!! LOL, that's one reason Sis is not outside off the porch yet (plus she has not had all her shots yet). We know when she has something in her mouth she isn't suppose to have, she runs right into her casita and lays in her bed with her BACK to the door, hiding with it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Feb 28 2005, 10:46 AM
Heehheheh,thats how Kirbie got his name.When we first got him he  tried to pick up everything he found on the floor.My daughter Jamie said...you gotta name him Kirbie after the vaccume cleaner!!!!So Kirbie it was!!!!!!He out grew it as he got a litle older.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38483
[/QUOTE]
Ahhhh too funny!
That's really cute!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by sheila2182@Feb 28 2005, 09:46 AM
Heehheheh,thats how Kirbie got his name.When we first got him he  tried to pick up everything he found on the floor.My daughter Jamie said...you gotta name him Kirbie after the vaccume cleaner!!!!So Kirbie it was!!!!!!He out grew it as he got a litle older.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38483
[/QUOTE]
I love it! That's such a cute name and how clever of your daughter to think of naming him after a vacuum cleaner.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top