Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I see a report about this on the news, my stomach just rolls!!! Such an awful disaster from Mother Nature!!! SO many dead and missing...and absolutely no warning. Terribly scarey!!!
So far the death toll is over 23,000.
Lots of prayers and hugs to all those families that have people missing and/or dead.

Here is the link from MSNBC from today.Tsunami Report

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have read some of the reports, seen them on tv.... Nate Burkus from Oprah was in Sri Lanka when this happened. His friend is missing.
He and his friend were washed out of their room, Nate was able to hold on to the pole and then climb on a roof, his friend was not so fortunate. It is so sad
I mentioned this to a good friend a few months ago...flooding, major hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis...is someone up above us trying to tell us something?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Triste@Dec 27 2004, 06:31 PM
I have read some of the reports, seen them on tv.... Nate Burkus from Oprah was in Sri Lanka when this happened. His friend is missing.
He and his friend were washed out of their room, Nate was able to hold on to the pole and then climb on a roof, his friend was not so fortunate.  It is so sad
  I mentioned this to a good friend a few months ago...flooding, major hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis...is someone up above us trying to tell us something?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25621
[/QUOTE]

:eek: My grandmother says the same thing!!! Especially when things like this (eathquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes) happen that are so out of OUR control!! But then she adds in things like the murder of that lady in Misourri, Lacey Peterson, 911, and the incomprehensible acts of violence that we as humans commit. She says they are all signs that should NOT be ignored. She tells me to go and read Revelations every time something like this happens. Very scarey!

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's just awful, I have been reading the paper and watching the news, and the photos just break your heart. The death toll and injured numbers are astronomical. It always seems to be the poor and the young ones who are hardest hit. What a tragedy. It really does make you realize just how fragile life is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I feel so sick right now... I just read more about this stroy on Yahoo! news and found out that most of the deaths were children...
-_- My heart is aching right now for the parents, i want to cry...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Dec 27 2004, 06:31 PM
He and his friend were washed out of their room, Nate was able to hold on to the pole and then climb on a roof, his friend was not so fortunate.  It is so sad

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25621
[/QUOTE]
I dont know if anyone is religious but someone that is religious told me that all these natural disasters are the beginning of the end of the world.. :eek: They also told me its in the Bible... I dunno how true this is but that scares me!
But if you notice even the weather seems to be different. We are going to have 60 temp. this weekend in NJ and that never happens in DECEMEBER! Not to mention its around 17 degrees outside right now!

It is so horrible to watch the news reports from the areas where all those people were killed. I dont think anyone caught the wave on film... which could be a good thing... so we dont have to see that!
My heart goes out to all those people... I couldnt even imagin that happening here! I live 10-20mins away from the Atlantic Ocean! My family would be taken if that happened here.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have family friends that live in Thailand, they were supposed to go on vacation to some lake up north for the holidays but we dont know if they ever went, we are all crossing our fingers that they did becuase we really dont have any way to reach them and see if they are ok yet its just so scary thinking about these gaint wave

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 28 2004, 08:44 AM
I dont know if anyone is religious but someone that is religious told me that all these natural disasters are the beginning of the end of the world..  :eek:  They also told me its in the Bible... I dunno how true this is but that scares me!
  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25722
[/QUOTE]

I doubt it... Don't worry....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Dec 28 2004, 11:26 AM
Whenever a natural disaster strikes, people start talking about the end of the world.  I imagine that they worried about it back when the black plague struck and for every disaster before and after that.  It's a silly thing to worry about.  You are much more likely to get bitten by a mosquito and feel itchy.  People sometimes ask me if I'm scared living this close to North Korea because oh, my, what if they invade?  *roll eyes*  The upcoming yellow dust season concerns me.  But it's useless to worry about the big things.  If they are going to happen, they are going to happen whether you stress out over it or whether you just enjoy your life.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25759
[/QUOTE]

Hear! Hear! My parents were involved with an apocalyptic cult in the late 70s and the 80s who were convinced that the end of the world was near. They had "safe zones" set up across the world of places that supposedly wouldn't be hit by natural disaster. That's why my folks initially moved to the US. Well, the END date was set fo 1985--and it didn't happen, then 1991, and it didn't happen, then 1999, etc...I know all these people that set themselves up in the desert to be completely self sufficient, ready for the end...they spent most of their lives preparing for the end. Not me! My philosophy of life is similar to DMZ--I want to enjoy life while contributing as much as I can to society. And when the end comes...off I go

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I was more or less trying to say that everything happens for a reason....and even if it WAS the end of the world coming....you shouldn't be worried...unless you are scared to see what the man upstairs has in store for you after his coming (should you believe in God that is.) I really don't want to offend or assume that everyone here would believe or be religious...as everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

edited to add, we had -12 for Christmas morning and yes that is abnormal for Indiana but not out of our range for the season. We are going to have 50 by Friday. I look at it as some help w/ the melting process

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Triste@Dec 28 2004, 03:22 PM
I was more or less trying to say that everything happens for a reason....and even if it WAS the end of the world coming....you shouldn't be worried...unless you are scared to see what the man upstairs has in store for you after his coming (should you believe in God that is.) I really don't want to offend or assume that everyone here would believe or be religious...as everyone is entitled to their own opinion! 

edited to add, we had -12 for Christmas morning and yes that is abnormal for Indiana but not out of our range for the season. We are going to have 50 by Friday. I look at it as some help w/ the melting process 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25833
[/QUOTE]

I heard ya girl...
I don't think anyone was offended, just sharing opinions.

As much as we don't like to think about it...for those of us that are Christian...God can and has become angry with his people in the past and has punished them for their sins. (lots of Old Testament examples) It is not something to take lightly. Not saying necessarily that these recent events are signs that it is the end of the world...but we should definetely consider them as attention getters. At least, that is the way I believe.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
They are expecting the death toll to rise ...nearly double...b/c of future disease from lack of sanitary conditions. I am saddened to hear that there is criticism going on about how much each country is giving for relief effort.
We should be learning from these experiences, not placing blame and anger. We should be more reverent of Mother Nature and also make sure that our loves ones are aware that they are loved as we don't know when our time is up.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I heard it was now 156,000.... horrible. My dear friend, who I spent Christmas with, is involved with the American Red Cross. Little did we know that she would be involved in helping with a disaster of this magnitude.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Lilly521@Dec 30 2004, 10:34 AM
Just wanted to say that those friends of mine in thiland they said the wave came right up to their property but didnt even damage anything  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26283
[/QUOTE]

They are very lucky!
I watched bits and pieces of the ABC news report last night...it was almost more than I could stomach.
Still seems SO unbelievable! My sister said she heard in one news report that the quake was so strong that it affected the rotation of the earth! What in the world?! I don't even want to think about the ramifications of that!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Dec 30 2004, 12:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Dec 30 2004, 10:34 AM
Just wanted to say that those friends of mine in thiland they said the wave came right up to their property but didnt even damage anything  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26283
They are very lucky!
I watched bits and pieces of the ABC news report last night...it was almost more than I could stomach.
Still seems SO unbelievable! My sister said she heard in one news report that the quake was so strong that it affected the rotation of the earth! What in the world?! I don't even want to think about the ramifications of that!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26350
[/B][/QUOTE]

My brother heard that the quake and tsunami moved an island 66 feet! How the heck do you move an island?!?!?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts