Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
First of all Tuffy (and Toby) will be just fine, try not to worrey.... I know you will though

Tiki was neutered at 6 months with no problems. He was very happy to see me when I picked him up. Be sure to have a doggie car seat or someone to hold him for the trip home. He will probably sleep more and possibly eat less. Other then that just follow the vets instructions regarding licking, feeding, pain killers. He will be back to his old self in no time at all, I was amazed at how quickly Tiki was wanting to run and play, we had to work hard to keep him quiet for the first few days.

Is there anything I should send with him to the vet or have ready for him when he gets home?
A blanket, towel or maybe one of your t-shirts should be enough.
How, if at all, will his behavior change after this?
As I noted we didn't see much change in Tiki... just tired.
How long is recovery? And is there anything I need to be really careful of during his recovery?
Check with your vet, but for Tiki we just tried to keep him quiet for a few days. The day we returned home he didn't want to leave my side so I would put his little bed next to me and carry him from room to room so he wouldn't jump around... probably not necessary for him, but it made me feel better.

Hope this helps.... good luck and keep us posted on their progress

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
with all three, i bought an e-collar (the cone), definitely buy pain meds (it turns out thats optional where i live), give them a shirt or a blankie that you slept on and maybe a tiny toy. it took 2-3 days for them to have their energy back. just make sure they dont jump on or off stuff for a week or a week and a half. ASK FOR SUTURES ON THE INSIDE!!! its totally helpful. if your dog stays still....maybe get a basket and put a blanket in it---for your dog to lay in after surgery. i felt really uncomfortable carrying them in my arms. and they were shaking. it was sad. also when you take your dog home---see if he needs to go potty. he might pee. and make sure children or other dogs dont bother him.
he wont feel too good.
good luck!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good luck today with him, He will do just fine. I remember when I took Morgan in had to get him done, I think it was just as rough on me as it was on him. One more month or so and I will be doing it all over again with Bailey. Not looking forward to it. But been there, done that, so I know what to expect and how to handle it. First time round is always the roughest.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've already decided that when a dog gets surgery---its totally mandatory to get pain meds. it sickens me when they just assume people wont buy pain meds. it was sooo funny when we picked up ellie from her hernia correction surgery. she never growls at people, and the vet tech was carrying her and telling us how she was---and then like after 2 minutes, ellie started growling like she was pissed with the vet tech. lol. it was super cute. but it looked as though she had been crying. what also bothers me is that you drop off your dog at 8 or 9am....they dont do the surgery till 2pm, and you pick up your dog at 5pm. i totally hate that. i even tried asking the doctor if i could pay him more to do our dogs surgery early in the morning so we can pick up at 2 pm or something. the doctor didnt want to do that
i feel sooo bad for the babies when they have to go in.

anyway, i hope tuffy feels great.
OH--i forgot to mention....he might be a little upset with you. Sprite wouldnt even look at me and didnt want me to carry her when she got spayed.
lol. i dont remember what else helped us. if i remember i'll post again.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
the pain meds when you take them home. they give you a weeks worth or something. it was liquid that we gave twice a day with their antibiotics. i spoke to another vet before and they make you buy pain meds for spays but for EVERYTHING else---its optional. i even buy it for when they got their teeth cleaned. lol. but they only gave me the meds for 2 days.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, i've been debating the microchip thing too. the only think that freaks me out is that someone will literally grab sprite or ellie out of my hands. its happened to other people before (i've had like 4 people come up to me and say that i should have a tighter grip on the girls!). well, people probably dont think about it because gruffi acts crazy....and if someone takes the girls (like the vet tech) he cries SOO loud and barks and growls. its really cute. lol. im thinking about doing it(just in case) and if they're ever stolen, hope to god that someone will check if the dogs microchipped. have you guys ever seen this:

http://www.wherifywireless.com/corp_home.htm

if they made something really tiny.....something that could be implanted or put into a tooth or something (i searched for a week on something like that)....anyway, if something like that was invented, i wouldnt think twice about putting it into my dogs. i think i'd pay like $1,000 on that. its hard putting a price on it....since my babies to me are priceless.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am glad to hear Tuffy is doing well.

I know that is a relief to you, though I am sure you are missing him lots!

Please give us a post in the morning and let us know how he does coming home.

Judi

1 - 20 of 44 Posts