Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
One time when I was making tuna salad I dropped a little bit and Peanut came running to get it. He loved the plain tuna, but he didn't throw up. It was just a little bit that I dropped though. I have a couple of lists that I printed out of food and plants dangerous to dogs and tuna wasn't on the list. Did the tuna have something else on it?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i dont recommend it..we learned in toxicology that tuna contains mercury in it. even if we eat enough of it, we can be effected. i have never gone near the stuff, and now i never will LOL.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Feb 19 2005, 11:32 AM
i dont recommend it..we learned in toxicology that tuna contains mercury in it.  even if we eat enough of it, we can be effected.  i have never gone near the stuff, and now i never will LOL.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36331
[/QUOTE]
You just reminded me of that. I learned that in one of my classes a few years ago and I guess it went in one ear and out the other. Thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I heard even pregnant people arent suppose to eat much seafood because of the mercury--someone told me, it would make the baby slower or something.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Pregnant women and children are not supposed to eat more than a few servings per week of salt water fatty fishes like Tuna, Swordfish and Halibut due to high levels of mercury. A great substitute is farm raised Salmon. It has a lot of the same omega oils, but none of the mercury. Free stream Salmon might have similar issues, but the farm raised stuff, while not as tastey, should be ok. I think either the FDA or the Agriculture Department posts recommendations.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
the dogs have had a few times. they love it. but yeah, i heard the mercury thingy too. doesnt that suck. what if you were to get home raised tuna? would that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Feb 19 2005, 12:13 PM
Pregnant women and children are not supposed to eat more than a few servings per week of salt water fatty fishes like Tuna, Swordfish and Halibut due to high levels of mercury.  A great substitute is farm raised Salmon.  It has a lot of the same omega oils, but none of the mercury.  Free stream Salmon might have similar issues, but the farm raised stuff, while not as tastey, should be ok.  I think either the FDA or the Agriculture Department posts recommendations.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36338
[/QUOTE]
Hi, I need to clarify the info on salmon. I have done a lot of research on salmon because it is a good source of protein for me since I don't eat meat. However, I was so disappointed to find out that there is no salmon that is truly safe. However, it is wild caught salmon that is OK to eat in moderation. Farmed, also called Atlantic, is not nearly as safe. It is not necessarily the mercury that is a problem, it is PCBs, dioxins and pesticides.

I've included a link to a story that ran in the June 2004 issue of Nutrition Action Newsletter, published by Center for Science in the Public Interest, an advocacy group that lobbies the gov't to require such things as food labeling, etc. Here is a quote from the article, "We found that farmed salmon contained seven times higher levels of PCBs, dioxins, and pesticides than wild salmon, says David Carpenter of the State University of New York at Albany, one of the principal researchers."

I recommend that everyone who eats salmon read this article so you can make healthy choices. The article is in PDF format:

Article About Salmon

Here is the home page for Nutrition Action where you can find all sorts of information on foods, vitamins, etc.:
Nutrition Action Newsletter

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Many people give their dogs sardines or canned mackeral once or twice a week for a healthy coat (fish oils are good for that).

Whitefish is usually the kind of fish used for a dog that is on a homecooked diet with fish.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 19 2005, 03:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Feb 19 2005, 12:13 PM
Pregnant women and children are not supposed to eat more than a few servings per week of salt water fatty fishes like Tuna, Swordfish and Halibut due to high levels of mercury.  A great substitute is farm raised Salmon.  It has a lot of the same omega oils, but none of the mercury.  Free stream Salmon might have similar issues, but the farm raised stuff, while not as tastey, should be ok.  I think either the FDA or the Agriculture Department posts recommendations.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36338
Hi, I need to clarify the info on salmon. I have done a lot of research on salmon because it is a good source of protein for me since I don't eat meat. However, I was so disappointed to find out that there is no salmon that is truly safe. However, it is wild caught salmon that is OK to eat in moderation. Farmed, also called Atlantic, is not nearly as safe. It is not necessarily the mercury that is a problem, it is PCBs, dioxins and pesticides.

I've included a link to a story that ran in the June 2004 issue of Nutrition Action Newsletter, published by Center for Science in the Public Interest, an advocacy group that lobbies the gov't to require such things as food labeling, etc. Here is a quote from the article, "We found that farmed salmon contained seven times higher levels of PCBs, dioxins, and pesticides than wild salmon, says David Carpenter of the State University of New York at Albany, one of the principal researchers."

I recommend that everyone who eats salmon read this article so you can make healthy choices. The article is in PDF format:

Article About Salmon

Here is the home page for Nutrition Action where you can find all sorts of information on foods, vitamins, etc.:
Nutrition Action Newsletter
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36364
[/B][/QUOTE]
Wow. Thanks for posting that link. Now I don't think I'll be eating any more salmon either. I don't even want to know what's in that cream cheese to go with my lox!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 19 2005, 11:52 AM
I heard even pregnant people arent suppose to eat much seafood because of the mercury--someone told me, it would make the baby slower or something.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36337
[/QUOTE]

Oh man i hear about this from my sister all the time, she wants to have a baby so she refuses to ever eat fish again (i am sure its over kill never eating it again but she just dosnt want to take any chances), like every time i am talking to her she mentions it, she dosnt want anyone to ever eat fish lol if i even mention i was eating tuna she freaks and tells me i am gonna die....i have had tuna for lunch the past 3 days so shhhhh lol

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Feb 19 2005, 09:40 PM
Sher, I heard the same thing too about the farmed salmon containing the higher percentage of PCB's and other chemicals.  There are several salmoning farming operations along the coast here.  Much controversary surrounding them too!  Not only what they feed the salmon but also the fact that there are several hundred salmon in one small area, think of all that salmon poop!  Too many salmon in one small area!  At least when salmon are swimming freely there is not a build up of salmon poop in just one small area, it is dispersed throughout the ocean and salmon migrate over a very large area.  I will eat the wild salmon but definitely not the farmed salmon

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36450
[/QUOTE]

Same here... I won't touch the farmed. It is so misleading though... that they call it Atlantic Salmon. Even the finest restaurants in town will tout their Atlantic Salmon and it is nothing but poison. And packages of smoked salmon, which I love, will have "Atlantic Salmon" in the ingredients.... yuk. I just hate that this has happened because salmon is such a healthy fish... so good for us but due to farming, PCBs, etc. it now has been made to be harmful. Such a bummer!

I actually used to eat salmon three times a day... I'm still doing a lot of reserch because there is a company in Washington, Vital Choices, Vital Choices Web Site, that touts the purity of its wild salmon but I need more info before I will feel comfortable getting it from them and eating it more than a couple times a week.

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Feb 19 2005, 05:52 PM
Last week, I gave up all meat and dairy and everything that had any of that in it (except honey).  I've heard too many things.....  Meanwhile, I'm doing great with this new vegan lifestyle!  Turns out I may have been lactose intolerent for years and just didn't know it till I gave up the dairy!  Cookie is also off the barf diet.  She won't eat fruits or veggies, so it isn't the best choice for her.  She's on a commerical kibble now and no more runs.  Noodle is eating whatever the heck I give him and positively thriving on it.

Saltymalty, cream cheese is made with milk.  Milk has blood and pus in it. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36397
[/QUOTE]
i AM QUITE MIDDLE AGED
mANY YEARS AGO i STARTED A MACROBIOTIC DIET..THIS EXCLUDED DAIRY AS WELL AS MEATS ET ALL.
i DID FINE FOR A WHILE AND THEN BECAME VERY SICK. i HAD TESTS DONE..IT TURNED OUT THAT i WAS ALLERGIC TO SOY.
bY THEN SIY WAS A HUGE PART OF MY DIET.
So..I would suggest that if you want to make a gigantic change in diet that you have a hair test done for allergies and see what you are allergic to.

The way the mechanism works for dogs is..most like ly they are allergic to the protein they ingest daily (like chicken) but for people when you change your diet and per chance land up eating something that is highly allergic to you...but often something that was NOT part of your diet..u can get in trouble.
get my drift?
If u need more information..please pm

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I started eating all these vegtables and soy as my husband is vegitarien. Who has time to cook two meals. I like sea food and he still has sea food but no meat at all.
It worked for 1.5 years and then I noticed I would get really sick if I have a lot of vegtables /tofu , and I like tofu. This year I found out my body does not like mike anymore.
I also suffer from migaine so I have to really read everything I eat and rember what I had yesterday or the day before , Or I will have noting but pain for weeks.

Deffinetly have the test Vita sugested, it will save you a lot of trouble

·
Registered
86 Posts
my elmo loves tuna,i think that like with us it should only be eaten in moderation because of the mercury,i give it to elmo 1 to 2 times a week,the portion is about 85g.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts