Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rock got a hold of what I think is a turkey bone. He seems to have chewed it up a bit. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by AshRike@Feb 4 2005, 03:11 AM
Rock got a hold of what I think is a turkey bone.  He seems to have chewed it up a bit.  Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Ashley
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33290
[/QUOTE]

Yikes I was just headed off to bed and saw your post. How much do you think he ate? and was it cooked?
If it was cooked and it is all splintered, I might call the emergency vet for some helpful advice... Their Gi tracts are more acidic than ours and can break down foods more rapidly, but splintered bones in the GI tract can be dangerous....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how much he ate. I thought he was chewing on a rawhide. So he had it for about 10-15 minutes.

The turkey was cooked, I think. He seems fine and playful, but I'm going to call the E Vet.

Originally posted by KathleensMaltese+Feb 4 2005, 02:35 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AshRike
@Feb 4 2005, 03:11 AM
Rock got a hold of what I think is a turkey bone.  He seems to have chewed it up a bit.  Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Ashley
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33290

Yikes I was just headed off to bed and saw your post. How much do you think he ate? and was it cooked?
If it was cooked and it is all splintered, I might call the emergency vet for some helpful advice... Their Gi tracts are more acidic than ours and can break down foods more rapidly, but splintered bones in the GI tract can be dangerous....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33291
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I called the E Vet and they said that there wasn't anything I could do since it's been over an hour and a half. He said he'll probably be fine and should pass it okay, but if he starts throwing up or passing abnormal stools to bring him in. So, I guess I'm up for the night and praying that he's fine.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awwww. I'm sure he'll be fine.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww...good luck and keep us posted.

My friend's new puppy...a Schipperke (sp?) ...got into the trash and got a chicken bone out...he had to have surgery on his throat or something b/c it got stuck in there...hopefully, since Rock seemed to have eaten it all, and several hours have passed...he is fine.
Brinkley sends lots of hopeful licks and wiggles.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
My friend's Bichon got his paws on a chicken bone and chewed it up a bit. The Bichon is fine and I'm sure Rock will be too. Just keep a close eye on him for a while to make sure he's not acting weird or having any kind of symptoms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. He's running around and playing like a wild man. In other words, his normal self...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by AshRike@Feb 4 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks everyone.  He's running around and playing like a wild man.  In other words, his normal self...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33321
[/QUOTE]

Good, I'm glad he is back to being himself!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again everyone. I'm just so happy that nothing happened to him. He's still looking around for the bone in the backyard though. And I wouldn't let the poor thing out until the sun came out and I triple checked to make sure there were no other pieces out there for him to chew.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad he is okay...my moms dog got a hold of a ckicken thigh bone and didnt quite chew it enough. it made it all the way to the end of the intestinal tract and got stuck. the vet had to glove up and pull it out. (o the things I have to look forward to when I get out of vet school!)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by AshRike@Feb 4 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks everyone.  He's running around and playing like a wild man.  In other words, his normal self...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33321
[/QUOTE]

Good to know!!! Give him hugs!

Originally posted by LadyMontava@Feb 4 2005, 04:19 PM
glad he is okay...my moms dog got a hold of a ckicken thigh bone and didnt quite chew it enough.  it made it all the way to the end of the intestinal tract and got stuck.  the vet had to glove up and pull it out.  (o the things I have to look forward to when I get out of vet school!)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33475
[/QUOTE]

:eek: Like that bulldog on the cell phone commercial?! Where he swallowed the cell phone and the tech listened and he was on hold AND roaming!

Anyway, glad it's you and not me signed up for that job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts