Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been postponing and postponing this day but it finally came. The day when Chiqui is going to be neutered and Rosita spayed. I understand those are very common procedures and that I shouldn't worry at all but my only concern is that the vet requires you to bring your babies the night before and then they also need to stay overnight after the surgery.
So I am going to have to take them there on Thursday night, they will go through surgery on Friday and then stay until Saturday morning.

I just keep thinking they are going to have to stay on those cages for so long...
They are not used to be in a crate. Wouldn't they be better at home???

I have talked to some of my friends and they didn't have to leave them for two days at the vet... Maybe I should go to a different clinic... what do you think?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
WOW! I've never heard of that. My vet has you drop off before 8AM the day of the surgery and pick up after 4PM that same day. I've heard of some vets requiring that the dog stay until the day after the surgery but never have I heard them require dropping off the day before. I guess it could be their way of guarenting that the dog doesn't get any food or water after 10PM the day before the surgery.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I had to leave mine overnight, but I didn't have to leave them the night before. Maybe you could call them and ask them why they want to keep them so long. If its just so they won't eat after 10, you can take care of that yourself and you and the babies will all sleep better that way
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is exactly what I have been thinking!!!
maybe I should look for a different clinic.
They told me that it is to control their food intake and to get used to the new environment.
I don't want to be overprotective or too picky... but knowing my own babies I know they will stress being on a cage for that long... 32 HOURS in a crate!!!
Do you think I am being to overprotective?? or is that something that all of your babies had to go through??

Frankly I would much prefer them to get there, have the surgery and then go home the same day as my friends did.

After reading you comments I am going to cancel and go to a different clinic.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would ask what type of anesthesia they use. Report back here and LadyM or JMM will let you know how safe it is and if it is the preferred choice.

My vet likes to keep spays over night because he says they need to be quiet and I can't remember the exact reason.... But it made sense at the time.

The most important thing is that you do not take them home before they are fully awake and able to walk.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Do you think I am being to overprotective?? or is that something that all of your babies had to go through??[/B]
No you are not overprotective.
My vet asks NO food after midnight and drope them off before 9 am. You can get them back sometime after 4 pm after they are fully awake from the anesthesia.
For his knee surgery and his last dental I stayed with Alex in the waiting room until they came to get him for the anesthesia.
JMM likes isoflurane for anesthesia. My vet uses sevoflurane.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
We went through this last January when we had Sassy and Sadie spayed. I've never heard of them keeping the pups for 2 nights, but our vet wanted them to stay the night after spay to keep them quiet. On the surface this seems reasonable. The concerning part to us was that the vet office would be empty and no one would be there with them from 7:00PM until 5:30AM the next morning. My husband (a member of the med. profession) said "absolutely not!" If they were not going to staff the hospital overnight then we offered them 3 choices:
1. Dogs go home with us, we follow all directions to the letter, and we bring them back first thing in the morning for followup
2. We move dogs to emergency hospital where there would be staff during the night.
3. We would seek another vet.

They weren't thrilled, but finally agreed to proposal #1. Everything was fine. We kept the dogs completely quiet and didn't even allow them to play together for 2 weeks. When one was on the ground the other was either in their crate, in their X-pen, or in my arms. Spaying 2 at the same time was challenging, but at least we got it all over and done with!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
My vet, who I have used for 20 years and trust absolutely completely, also keeps them for two nights. Ty was neutered a couple of weeks ago and I was not thrilled with having him gone that long but after talking to the vet I was satisfied that it was the right thing to do.

He went the night before (after dinner) for 2 reasons, one so that they could do the pre-op blood work and the second reason was so they could be absolutely sure he did not have anything to eat or drink from midnight on. I have another dog in my house and I would have felt awful if something had happened because Ty had gotten a bit of his food or eaten something dropped on the floor.

The rationale for keeping them the night after surgery was because they feel they can keep them "quieter" than I would at home. Which I guess is true. I went to visit Ty the day of surgery and he was tucked snugly in his crate with his blanket and toys from home and was snoozing away (I didn't wake him). The next morning I picked him up at 9am and he was his usual bouncy self. They did have someone there during the night.

Ty went home and healed well, we did not have to use any kind of collar to keep him from biting the stitches and all the stitches were the disolvable kind. i was very pleased with the way things went.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have cancelled my appointment and I have gone to a different clinic vey well known here.
I will take them there Thursday morning at 8 AM. They told me that they must not eat anything after 10 PM but they can have water.
They will have the test (blood, liver and kidney test) in the morning and then if everything looks ok they will have surgery. Then I will be able to pick them up after 4 PM or after they are awake (they will call me).

They asked me a lot of questions about my home environment... if there are kids, or a lot of people around, other pets... I guess to evaluate if you qualify to take them home the same night or not. Since I live by myself in a one story house (no stairs) with no other pets, they said it would be fine to take them home and that I should only make sure they don't play with each other afterwards. And since I am taking Friday off I will be home with them for the next three days.
The only thing I forgot to ask them is if I should stop giving them Angel's Glow (probably I should... I'll call them)

See... I feel better now. They are going to be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Yes they can do the blood work the same morning. You just have to bring them in earlier. Did they tell you what kind of anesthesia they are using ? I am sure they will be fine. And good that you are off on Friday to watch them. They probably won't be in a playing mood for a few days being sore. But they recuperate quickly. Let us know how everything went.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't asked yet. I will call them today...

I have been reading on some of your posts that you put on pijamas after the surgery... is there a reason for it? is it to prevent them from licking the stiches?

And just a last question... the vet noticed yesterday that one of Chiqui's testicles is higher than the other. She made it sound like it was not a big deal but is it??
does anybody know if it will be more difficult to neuter???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts