Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, Bella (three years old) and Harley (4 months) get along great in the middle of the day when Bella is feeling energetic, but early in the morning and late at night, Bella trys to hide from Harley and gets really sad when she won't leave her alone. Also, I'm getting kind of sad because Bella and I are sooo close and we never have any alone time anymore. When I try to cuddle with Bella, Harley jumps on her and makes her run off. I thought of going on short trips (post office/park) with just Bella, but I haven't yet because I don't want to hurt harleys feelings. I feel like such a witch complaining about such lovely dogs, but I'm getting concerned, I love them both so much and can't bear to see either of them unhappy. My brother comes home in November, so I know it will be better then and they will both get more individual attention, but what can i do to keep Bella happy until then?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How about making one of those playpens K&C's Mom posted directions for a while back so Harley has a special place to go for a time out? That way Bella could get a break and have alone time with her mommy. I would also continue to take her with you on outings and let Harley stay home.

It's just like having another baby. You have to be extra specially aware that it can be a tough adjustment for the "firstborn" and put extra effort into making sure that your first baby doesn't have to give up special one-on-one time.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
What I've done a couple of times is to take one with me when I ran an errand. I would routate it so the other didn't feel left out. Also in the morning Lexi likes to cuddle for a minute or so. So when I give them their food (they start by eating in their crates while I shower) I put Nikki in first and then cuddle with Lexi for a minute.

The pen idea sounds like a good idea. I'm going to start introducing Nikki to mine. Hoping she will start to like it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
bellasmommy, you have described my boys too. Peanut is fine hanging out sometimes, but Tic is always bouncing off the walls. When Peanut doesn't want to play, Tic will constantly try to jump on him and nudge him and just bug Peanut for attention. What I do is pull out Tic's fav toy or chew treat and toss it down the hall or to the other side of the room. That way Tic takes a break from Peanut and it gives Peanut and I a bit of alone time. As Tic gets older it's becoming easier, he is beginning to understand that Peanut won't always play with him and so he's learning how to entertain himself.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, you've given me some great ideas. I think I'll put them both on a leash and go check my mom's mailbox outside(shes out of town) and they'll both enjoy that, and then I'll take just Bella to the post office to get my mail. Bella and I used to go to the Post Office all the time, so I know it will make her feel special again to go just the two of us at least twice a week. I think the play pen is a good idea too, I could put Harley in the play pen for a few minutes every morning and cuddle with Bella. I know I won't be able to stand having Harley trapped like that for more than a few minutes, but it will probably mean a lot to Bella. I'm still working on housetraining with Harley too, so maybe that will help with that too if I put her pee pad in the pen first thing every morning. By the way, Harley has to go for puppy shots on Friday and I think I'm going to take both of them to the vet so bella won't see me running out the door with out her. Do those of you with two schedule their vet appointments for the same day? I haven't decided yet. I know it will be a shock to my wallet if I start taking them both at the same time, but I think it might be easier in the long run, what do you think?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It's hard to get both the boys to the vet at the same time because Peanut is afraid of the vet and he tries to run out the door and Tic loves the vet so he tries to run in the door and I just end up tangled in the leashes
It's easier to do it all at once for me though. The first time I went with both boys the $$ shocked me, but the vet now only charges me for one office visit even though there are 2 dogs. The vaccines and everything are normal price, but whenever they can swing a discount they will offer it :D If only one dog has an appt I like to avoid bringing the other because I just feel like it's unnecessary for them to walk in there (paranoid about germs). It's very clean, but you never know who walked in the door right before you do.
I don't let the boys walk on the sidewalk in front of the vets because that's where all the other dogs do their business, so again, I'm just paranoid.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh oh, I didn't even think about the unnessary germ exposure, maybe I'll just take them both if they both have an appointment. Thanks for the reminder, I'm paranoid too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts