Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have two questions.
I have been doing a lot of researching on ranges and came across interesting things in the reviews.

Question 1) is it true you can not do canning such as tomatoes on a smooth top range.
I want to get a smooth top range and I do plan on doing canning. So I hope this one is not true.

Question 2) Is it true when broiling in an oven on the top shelf ,you should leave the oven door open.
I could just see the fire alarm going of every ten seconds.

Feel free to add any other helpful cooking tips or Humm? questions

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
As far as #2 is..my mama always propped her oven door open while broiling so I have always done the same as well...not sure the reasoning behind it..but I do

·
Registered
751 Posts
As far as canning on a smooth top range it is not recommended. Cast iron pans are also not recommended.

Part of the problem is the bottom of a canner usually is larger than the size of the burner. There are other reasons for not canning. Having sold appli. for years I can tell you that we saw many customers that regretted canning or using cast iron on their ranges.

I have been to several seminars giving by manufactures of ranges and was told even though the book says you "can" it that should not be done. As one Rep. told me, "you can cut on it but if you do it will ruin it."

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as canning on a smooth top range it is not recommended. Cast iron pans are also not recommended.

Part of the problem is the bottom of a canner usually is larger than the size of the burner. There are other reasons for not canning. Having sold appli. for years I can tell you that we saw many customers that regretted canning or using cast iron on their ranges.

I have been to several seminars giving by manufactures of ranges and was told even though the book says you "can" it that should not be done. As one Rep. told me, "you can cut on it but if you do it will ruin it."[/B]
What if you just use regular stainless steel 18/10 pot. Currently I do not own a canner but I have a large pot that works well and is deep enough to hold the bottles. Will a regular large pot cause the same problem. What will actually happen. Sorry I only read once not to do it but they never said why. Will he stove top crack .
So what is one to do if you need to do canning an you only have a smothe top range.
gee they make it so hard to get the right applicance.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have "Le Creuset" cast iron pots (2) and 1 pan. I have used them on my smooth top. I wonder what the reasoning is behind why you should not use them. I don't do canning, so cannot say anything about it. If the burner is smaller then the pot, the only thing I see is that it will take longer for the water inside the pot to boil and the heat might not be distributed evenly.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I know nothing about canning but broiling...maybe. lol

I had never heard of leaving the door open during broil until about two years ago. I has always had it closed on my oven. Well my Mother In law got a new oven hers had went out. Well we were over there and she was broiling and it kept buzzing at her and going off so she got out the book that came with it and it said while using the broil on the oven the door must be left ajared a few inches and we were like yeah right and the smoke will kill us. But there was no smoke and it worked great. So I guess I would say it might depend on the oven. Hers will only work with the door open some but mine is fine closed.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
No info from me about canning. I have always left the door ajar when broiling. I think the directions tell you to do so.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if the cast iron will scratch the stove. They say you should not slid your pots back and forth. But if it because the burner is not large enough they have those stoves were you can select a larger area for cooking.
I wish I knew why for both questions. I have been looking around but the norm for sales people are men and the ones i have talk to do not do canning.

I was going to purchase a canner but now I will wait as I also heard all the pot you use on a smooth top must also be flat.
Here is the pot I use for canning corrently.
Supreme 16-Liter covered Stockpot

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Sorry, but I cannot comment on canning because I've never done it. As far as broiling with the door open vs. closed...I think it depends on the type of oven. I have a range with a vent from the oven. I also have a commercial range hood that I turn on whenever I broil. I do not leave the door open when I broil. If you have a wall mounted oven, that might be different.

My mother had a smooth top electric stove (I use gas) in her beach house and that would take forever to boil a pot of water with her regular pots. She bought a set of inexpensive pots from Home Shopping with a flat disk on the bottom and those things would boil water in no time at all. She also sent a set of the HSN pots to me and honestly, I prefer them to my All-Clad (I don't even believe it). They are highly polished stainless steel inside and they clean up beautifully in the dishwasher. I am so afraid to put the All-Clad in the DW for fear of ruining the pots. So they sit on my pot rack, looking pretty and collecting dust. The HSN pots were about 1/5 the price of the All-Clad, and I swear she sent me every pot they make. I must have at least 100 pieces. And they were very inexpensive. I think all totaled came to about $250 (as opposed to almost $1000 for the 14 pieces of All-Clad).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Sorry, but I cannot comment on canning because I've never done it. As far as broiling with the door open vs. closed...I think it depends on the type of oven. I have a range with a vent from the oven. I also have a commercial range hood that I turn on whenever I broil. I do not leave the door open when I broil. If you have a wall mounted oven, that might be different.

My mother had a smooth top electric stove (I use gas) in her beach house and that would take forever to boil a pot of water with her regular pots. She bought a set of inexpensive pots from Home Shopping with a flat disk on the bottom and those things would boil water in no time at all. She also sent a set of the HSN pots to me and honestly, I prefer them to my All-Clad (I don't even believe it). They are highly polished stainless steel inside and they clean up beautifully in the dishwasher. I am so afraid to put the All-Clad in the DW for fear of ruining the pots. So they sit on my pot rack, looking pretty and collecting dust. The HSN pots were about 1/5 the price of the All-Clad, and I swear she sent me every pot they make. I must have at least 100 pieces. And they were very inexpensive. I think all totaled came to about $250 (as opposed to almost $1000 for the 14 pieces of All-Clad).[/B]
I have the All-Clad and they do fabulously in the DW. However, that is for the ones that are stainless on the outside, too. I bought a large pot that I thought was all stainless but when I took it out of the box, it was the All-Clad with the dark coating on the outside. Well, I kept it and it does say not to put it in the dishwasher because it will ruin the finish... and let me tell you... whoa... does it ever. I cannot stand to wash pots and I put everything in the DW so I figured that no one sees the pot but me and I can live with a beautiful interior and a bad exterior. The DW makes it look really horrible. Why anyone would design a pot that cannot be put in the DW is beyond me!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

My mother had a smooth top electric stove (I use gas) in her beach house and that would take forever to boil a pot of water with her regular pots. She bought a set of inexpensive pots from Home Shopping with a flat disk on the bottom and those things would boil water in no time at all. She also sent a set of the HSN pots to me and honestly, I prefer them to my All-Clad (I don't even believe it). They are highly polished stainless steel inside and they clean up beautifully in the dishwasher. I am so afraid to put the All-Clad in the DW for fear of ruining the pots. So they sit on my pot rack, looking pretty and collecting dust. The HSN pots were about 1/5 the price of the All-Clad, and I swear she sent me every pot they make. I must have at least 100 pieces. And they were very inexpensive. I think all totaled came to about $250 (as opposed to almost $1000 for the 14 pieces of All-Clad).[/B]
I have the All-Clad and they do fabulously in the DW. However, that is for the ones that are stainless on the outside, too. I bought a large pot that I thought was all stainless but when I took it out of the box, it was the All-Clad with the dark coating on the outside. Well, I kept it and it does say not to put it in the dishwasher because it will ruin the finish... and let me tell you... whoa... does it ever. I cannot stand to wash pots and I put everything in the DW so I figured that no one sees the pot but me and I can live with a beautiful interior and a bad exterior. The DW makes it look really horrible. Why anyone would design a pot that cannot be put in the DW is beyond me!!
[/B]
I have the All-Clad Ltd. with the dark, grey-ish finish on the outside. Even with hand washing, the finish isn't as nice as the stainless. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought them. I guess I liked the look more than I thought about the function. Anyway, they are wonderful pots, but just such a pain to clean. I also have several pieces of Le Creuset that I got on closeout from ShopNBC. They were an absolute steal. I think I paid no more than $25 a pot. I have four little ones with lids that are the perfect size for French onion soup. I use the large one I have for stews and soups.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
No clue about canning...I have the flat top and love it.

In my old house, I had a Jenn-Aire range and with it I had to leave the oven door open to broil. In my new house, the oven door has to be closed. I guess a lot of it depends on the brand. The one I have now is not a Jenn-Aire but I can't remember what it is.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

[/B]
I have the All-Clad Ltd. with the dark, grey-ish finish on the outside. Even with hand washing, the finish isn't as nice as the stainless. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought them. I guess I liked the look more than I thought about the function. Anyway, they are wonderful pots, but just such a pain to clean. I also have several pieces of Le Creuset that I got on closeout from ShopNBC. They were an absolute steal. I think I paid no more than $25 a pot. I have four little ones with lids that are the perfect size for French onion soup. I use the large one I have for stews and soups.
[/B]
Yep, that gray-ish finish does not hold up in the DW... that's for sure! You should see my pot... it is just so horrible on the outside but gorgeous inside!! But if you ever get the all stainless style, it does great in the DW. Hmmm, I'll check out LeCreuset... I use the gray All-Clad for soup so, the ones you have sound great.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you get stainless steel polish, not jewelry polish, but the stainless steel or copper pot polish.. it should clean up the tarnishes dark looking color on the out side. All you need to do is damp a cloth, not wet just lightly damp put the power polish on it and buff it will come back like new. I kid you not. I left my kettle on during on of my meeting and the water boiled out. When I went to turn it off course my nice kettle was all brown on the out side it looked 50 years old. I refused to throw it out. I really loved it . It took me a year to find one I really liked .I wish i had a picture of how bad it was ... well I used that and it looks like brand new.. no more brown burnt spots. I also used it on one of my pot I put in the dishwasher and it looks like new again. Normally it would only take like 5 min to clean up.. but if you been doing this for a while spend like 10 - 15 min buffing and it will be like new again... you won't be disappointed. The sell the cleaner for Capalon or any major name brand pots.. stainless steel or copper only.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok , I decided to read my manual for my current range. for Question #2
You think i would have done that first

My whirlpool stove that we currently has said you can leave the door slightly open or closed... If closed then the temperature will regulate by turning on and off.. (Now I know what the clicking noise is after 5 years. ) lol

My Range is a regular one not fancy stuff just has auto timer on or off for 11 hours. Apparently you can set it to turn off after the meal is done. (Tried it out today... not bad... ) to bad it does not do that for the stove top.
Anyway the instruction book also covers convection ovens.. Smooth stove tops. so I read the whole book.
It said you can do canning on smooth top but you must order there special canning kit. Also I read that some company sells special pots for canning on smooth stove tops
this is what I found on the internet.Canning on smooth stove tops

Well I guess I’m happy because I plan on getting a kitchenaid smooth stove top that is the same company as whirlpool, so I think they would have the same instructions. I will make sure I call there customer service before I buy it to make sure.

my only question that now popped in to my head is can I use my stove top corningware on smooth top. One more Hum ? question.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I think the reason they say to leave the door ajar when broiling is so that the temp inside the oven will not get hot enough to cause the heating unit to go out. By leaving the door ajar the heat will escape and the heating unit stays on, thus broiling.

The extent of me broiling inside my oven is heating and browning store bought dinner rolls
and I always leave the door closed. Heck I burn it with the door closed imagine what I could do if I left the door ajar

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the reason they say to leave the door ajar when broiling is so that the temp inside the oven will not get hot enough to cause the heating unit to go out. By leaving the door ajar the heat will escape and the heating unit stays on, thus broiling.

The extent of me broiling inside my oven is heating and browning store bought dinner rolls
and I always leave the door closed. Heck I burn it with the door closed imagine what I could do if I left the door ajar
[/B]
Sassy's mommy your so funny
lol
That's why I had to ask that question... I'm sure Iwould burn my home down , if it left it open

1 - 17 of 17 Posts