·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Tmbs

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but it's up to YOU to deworm your dog. You have had her what... 6 mos? At least? Honestly, I don't think it's fair to blame your breeder for it when you've had Delilah so long. If she had worms when you got her as a puppy, ok, I can understand it - but even mentioning this in a thread is not really fair to your breeder IMO.

So sorry to hear about the fleas!! That must be so frustrating. I freak when I see one flea on them - I dont' know what I would do if the meds didnt' last the whole month!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I think Delilah has worms!:smilie_tischkante: I know she has never been dewormed, as Debbie doesn't routinely deworm. I was just sitting down to groom Delilah and when I flipped her around to remove a dingle berry. I see these teeny tiny little white things all in her fur. I'm pretty sure those are teeny worms! What kind, I can not tell and of course my vet is closed! So first thing in the morning, we are going to the vet! I'm not even going to make an appt, I'm just showing up!

I have been using monthly flea and heartworm meds on Delilah and she does not go outside, unless I am holding her. I have to say, these fleas meds are not worth a hoot. They work for 2 weeks and then after that I start noticing fleas a few fleas on her. I do not like that at all! I don't like putting unnecessary chems on her, but what other choice do I have? I've used revolution and this past month I used vetcor3d, which seemed to work a little better than the revolution, but she still had fleas after 2-3 weeks!

We haven't treated our yard yet, as I don't know what I can safely use. Because of the kids and cats who go inside/outside, as well, as our Sheltie. The cats are on revolution and Macie is on confortis.So tomorrow I am asking for the Drontal for Delilah and might as well pick up doses for the cats and Macie. Now I have to go and strip all her bedding and wash it all and her too!

What do you ladies in the South and other hot, humid areas do?
Oh have you tried Capstar for fleas? I've used it on occasion. What about Comfortis? I am not too knowledge on flea prevention because it's not something I thankfully have to deal with on a regular basis (thank goodness!)

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I totally agree with Stacy. It is completely customary to take a new puppy to the vet upon taking ownership of the pup. The first thing any vet will do is a stool sample. And please be aware that if you have small children the transmission of dog worms to children is a common occurrence and can take a toll on their health. So when there is a dog in the home, maintaining her health is not just important for the sake of the animal, but for the well being of the children as well. When the worms are actually visable on the outside of the dog, the parasitic load is very large. She needs to be treated immediately and you should have a conversation with your kids Pediatrician as well!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
A breeder told me she only uses Brewers Yeast with Garlic and has never had any fleas or ticks. Everytime I have been to her house I have never seen a dog or puppy scratching or any sign of fleas/ticks. Started Ollie on it this past Thursday. He gets one tablet a day (one tab. per 10 lbs.) He weighs 8.5 lbs. If you go to Banfield, I'm surprised they didn't do a stool check the first time you took Delilah in. Hope you get things worked out. Oh, I just used my last dose of Advantix and am considering trying something else next month.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh no,no I know it's NOT Debbie's fault, not blaming her what so ever. I was just saying. My vet wanted to deworm her back when I first got her and I had asked Debbie her about it, and she said that she didn't think I should deworm her at that time. So no fault on Debbie at all!! I was just saying I know she doesn't routinely deworm, because she has never had a reason or a problem. I never had a reason either, obviously until now. But will be doing so every 6 months as the vet recommends. So please DO NOT misconstrew (sp) or take out of context what I said.

We just got back from the vet and I made sure they did a through exam on her. Just tapeworms :( but it is now taken care of. Now on our way to Home Depot to find out what we can use for the yard and house, safely. I have always used Raid Fumigators in the house. I just hate that it goes everywhere and gets on everything. Going to call the kids Dr to. And spend the next couple of days washing everything in hot water.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh have you tried Capstar for fleas? I've used it on occasion. What about Comfortis? I am not too knowledge on flea prevention because it's not something I thankfully have to deal with on a regular basis (thank goodness!)

Stacy they gave her a capstar. I can't do confortis unless she is 5lbs plus. (She is 3.6 lbs now). Though the Dr is going to check with the manufactuer of confortis, to see if we can give her a half a dose. They will get back to me in a few days. I can't stand seeing a flea on her and I freak. I was really more freaked when I seen those nasty parasites and to think they are in her :( :( I feel horrible. But somehow have to find a way to safely nip it in the bud. I don't want to put to many chems on or in her. KWIM?

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tmbs

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Oh no,no I know it's NOT Debbie's fault, not blaming her what so ever. I was just saying. My vet wanted to deworm her back when I first got her and I had asked Debbie her about it, and she said that she didn't think I should deworm her at that time. So no fault on Debbie at all!! I was just saying I know she doesn't routinely deworm, because she has never had a reason or a problem. I never had a reason either, obviously until now. But will be doing so every 6 months as the vet recommends. So please DO NOT misconstrew (sp) or take out of context what I said.

We just got back from the vet and I made sure they did a through exam on her. Just tapeworms :( but it is now taken care of. Now on our way to Home Depot to find out what we can use for the yard and house, safely. I have always used Raid Fumigators in the house. I just hate that it goes everywhere and gets on everything. Going to call the kids Dr to. And spend the next couple of days washing everything in hot water.
And vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Place the bag, or bagless container contents in a plastic bag and seal it tight! :)

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts

Not quite sure why you would not de-worm when the vet told you to? Did he do a stool sample to confirm the diagnosis? Not sure why a vet would want to de-worm a dog that was not tested? And I don't know about that every 6 month business either. You need a stool sample to confirm the presence of parasites. If they aren't there, you don't need to treat! And BTW, since you have a multi dog house, you need to have the other dogs tested as well.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
She has tapeworms. A few shots will take care of them. I'm in Florida, Spookie is on Confortis year round, we have fleas all year. Your fluff got the worms by eating an infected flea. You need to treat any other animals, your yard, and house. Talk to your kids doc, everbody keep hands out of mouth.

I bought a6 month supply of the 2-10# size of Confortis and cut them in half, been doing that since she was about 4 #. She is now 7 /2 I intnd to keep her on the half pill.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but it's up to YOU to deworm your dog. You have had her what... 6 mos? At least? Honestly, I don't think it's fair to blame your breeder for it when you've had Delilah so long. If she had worms when you got her as a puppy, ok, I can understand it - but even mentioning this in a thread is not really fair to your breeder IMO.

So sorry to hear about the fleas!! That must be so frustrating. I freak when I see one flea on them - I dont' know what I would do if the meds didnt' last the whole month!
She was NOT blaming the breeder.....she just was saying her breeder does not routinely de-worm. There's nothing wrong with that.

My vet uses "interceptor" for worms. It works well. Good Luck I hope he is worm-free soon.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Tmbs

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Here's what happened to us:

Deb: {calling vet's office} OMG!! I've NEVER dealt with worms before.

Bianca: {vet assistant} What do the worms look like? Do they look like white rice?

Deb: YES!! I thought something was odd, but didn't have my glasses on.
So, I picked up the turd, took in the kitchen, put my glasses on, and looked closely. Holy Cow!! This little grain of "rice" stretched out, and darn near kissed me on the nose!!

Bianca: That's easily treatable, and the main cause is eating a flea

Deb: I haven't seen a flea in YEARS

Bianca: Perhaps because your dog ate them. Do you know which dog?

Deb: Yep, it was Raul, or Coby. No matter, I want them ALL treated

Bianca: Well, let's not get carried away, as this type of "worm" is not easily transmitted.

Deb: Okay, I cannot say for SURE whose butt the worm-infested poop came from. We are treating them all.

Bianca: Okie Dokie you freak

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Tmbs

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's what happened to us:

Deb: {calling vet's office} OMG!! I've NEVER dealt with worms before.

Bianca: {vet assistant} What do the worms look like? Do they look like white rice?

Deb: YES!! I thought something was odd, but didn't have my glasses on.
So, I picked up the turd, took in the kitchen, put my glasses on, and looked closely. Holy Cow!! This little grain of "rice" stretched out, and darn near kissed me on the nose!!

Bianca: That's easily treatable, and the main cause is eating a flea

Deb: I haven't seen a flea in YEARS

Bianca: Perhaps because your dog ate them. Do you know which dog?

Deb: Yep, it was Raul, or Coby. No matter, I want them ALL treated

Bianca: Well, let's not get carried away, as this type of "worm" is not easily transmitted.

Deb: Okay, I cannot say for SURE whose butt the worm-infested poop came from. We are treating them all.

Bianca: Okie Dokie you freak

Deb you always mange to crack me up with a smile! I agree, everyone is getting treated! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Laura Fleas-tapeworms go together.. and the awful thing about fleas is what does the pet owner feel OK with to control them. I have to treat my yard evey other year. My suggestion is to educate yourself well about fleas and esp because you live in the south.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts