Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When comming home from work I got a ticket. I came up to a stop sign (this particular stop sign is in such a place you have to stop or you may hit someone). Well the cop says I did not stop but I just ran through it. Well when I got home I called the number to set up a court appearance and they did not have me on file. Well I have to call tommrow and see about the ticket.
I hate it when people say I did something when I did not. I am not the person that would just lie (if I had ran the stop sign I would of said sorry and paid the fine). My driving record is completely clean. There is nothing on it at all not even a parking ticket.
When I go to court on this is there anything I should bring? What can I expect at trafic court?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
aw I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I can't offer you any advice on traffic courts, but I hope everything will turn out okay! You have to be so careful on the road around here these days, the cops are really trying to bring in some revenue haha. Remember to come to a complete stop or count to 3 at the stop sign next time!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this -- it sure does ruin a good day, doesn't it?

There is a very small chance they will just drop the ticket, but most likely they will cut it in 1/2 for you. In my state (WA), you get your court date and then the day you go in you are put in a room with lots of other people with traffic violations (when I went there were about 20 others). There are a few people at the front that you talk to one by one and sit down with them to discuss your situation. Everyone can hear you in the room (lol) but it's not a big deal. They do the math, usually cut the ticket in 1/2, and send you on your way. When I went, they offered to lower the ticket fee, or offered to drop the ticket if I kept a clean record for 1 year past the date of the ticket -- I opted to just pay the 1/2 fee. lol

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have been to traffic court for a ticket somebody else got and I wanted to see if they really got the ticket. Your odds ? It will be your word against the word of the police guy who gave you the ticket. I would go to court just in case the guy does not show up. If he does not show up, your ticket will be dismissed. If he does show up, good luck. What kind of stop did you do ? Really stop, stop, like not moving ? or rollover stop ?:HistericalSmiley:If you did a rollover stop, I have some bad news for you. You are going to get stuck with your ticket. Happened to a friend of mine in her subdivision by the cop who was supposed to watch for bad guys in the subdivision. The cheapest way to get out of it is probably to take Defense Driving and it will not show on your record. Or take a lawyer. But lawyers are not cheap.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I know of several people who have gone to traffic court and the police officer simply didn't show up. Then, the ticket is automatically dropped. I always figured it would be worth going just for the off chance that that happens. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Sometimes the officer won't show up but if you just show up anyway they usually lessen the ticket or if it carries points (moving violation --which this might be) they usually will drop the points so you don't have that on your license. I got a ticket in a little town where the speed limit went abruptly from 40 to 15 with a down hill and no warning. They just sit there and rack up the tix. They did throw out my points and I think lowered the $. Good luck. There are also sites on the internet that tell you how to prove your case...and they're free. Just google.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
If the cop doesn't show up, it gets thrown out here too. Getting a lawyer (at least where I live) usually means you get out of the ticket. Costly, yes. But better than having a conviction on your record and having your insurance rates go up. I've received in the mail two red light tickets for no turn on red and paid $100 each for my "trangressions." I was GUILTY (though I really didn't notice the no turn on red signs, it was still my fault) and not happy so I can only imagine how you feel.

Deb

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Here In NY the officer can postpone it 5 x . They did it to my son and showed up the sixth time :unsure: I thought that was outrageous, especially since they only tell you the officer postponed as your actually standing there waiting for the case to start :angry:

Good Luck

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It just makes me made. I came to a complete stop, then hit the gas hard. Why in the world would I run a stop sign if a cop was comming up? This particular place if you do not stop you will hit someone.

You actually have to look both ways to turn right. People back out of the post office into your lane and if you do not watch you will hit them. Then you have people comming up in your lane. How can you look both ways while driving?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
If the cop doesn't show up, it gets thrown out here too. Getting a lawyer (at least where I live) usually means you get out of the ticket. Costly, yes. But better than having a conviction on your record and having your insurance rates go up. I've received in the mail two red light tickets for no turn on red and paid $100 each for my "trangressions." I was GUILTY (though I really didn't notice the no turn on red signs, it was still my fault) and not happy so I can only imagine how you feel.

Deb
Those STUPID camera really tick me off! They have installed several around my area, and for me, they are more of a nuisance. SEVERAL times, I see them "flash" and then I panic if that was me or not who just did something illegal and didn't know it! Sometimes I think they are more of a hazard!

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I would just call my lawyers office and inquire about it. The only thing I would worry about is points on my insurance and you have to pay it for x amount of years and it can be costly for a stop sign violation or it is in my state.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
This is a bummer! If I were you, I would take those photos that you posted to court to show the traffic judge. Hopefully it will get thrown out and/or cop doesn't show up.
If they fine you, then I would appeal it and get a lawyer. Those podunk towns that don't generate a lot of revenue to begin with, are crooked as all get out. Good luck!!

I got a ticket coming back from Edisto Beach a month ago. in Walterboro, SC. I had to drive 2 1/2 hours back down, just to take this safty class to reduce the ticket from 341.00 to 30.00

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Well I called a lawyer. They said it would 1,500 dollars. I am going to talk to someone about it this evening and see what they say. But I think I am going to hire a lawyer because I do not see it being fair to lay under something that you did not do.
WHAT????? :smpullhair: $1500 to represent you for allegedly going through a stop sign???? That is totally insane!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts