Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brushed him each and every night but he still had nightmare-ish matts in him.

Our Vet suggested getting him clipped and then starting again from square one because they were impossible to brush out. Thankfully his hair is growing back quite quickly - when we picked him up from the groomer he was a different dog!

BEFORE

AFTER

But we've learned our lesson and are extra vigilant now. We're just hitting summer in Australia so now we've got grass seeds and burrs to contend with. Plus it's getting hot so we're kind of glad he ended up cut short.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats good that you shaved him though......it would've been sooo traumatic for javier to lay down and get all the mats taken out.

he looks super cute!!!!

Cathy

P.S. i love it when their ears are cut short......
he'll look like a tiny puppy again if you did do that. lol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We had to do that to Harley a couple of weeks ago. He does look like a little rat. I have been keeping sweaters on him for now untill his hair grows alittle more. But I will be brushing him daily from now on! He looks like he lost at least 3 lbs.....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awww. I had to have Sylphide shaved twice this summer, once in May and once in August. We keep her face, ears, topknot and tail in long coat. Even with daily brushings she was matting up badly after her spaying in her neck, underarm areas and in some other patches. Her groomer said it was a combination of side effects from the anaesthesia and "blowing" her puppy coat. Anyway, it grows in SOOOOO fast. She's back to medium coat and we're back to LONNNGGG grooming sessions

Sylphide felt a little funny the first time she got shaved, for about a day. The second time, she loved it and I could tell she felt great (racing all around the groomers in a happy mood). It's too cold for her to be shaved or in a shorter cut right now--we are at subzero temperatures. She'll be in a medium coat until at least the end of Spring. I'll keep it long if I can keep the mats out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You know, Malts look gorgeous in long coats, but as cute as pie in short or puppy cuts. Either way, you can't possibly go wrong, and hair does grow back. They are all adorable!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts