Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get Nelson out more, now that this insane heat we've had all summer is lessening. (boo summer is coming to an end) :angry: That and really trying to train him how to behave on walks, he is quite embarassing. However...

He actually did a little better on a walk today, UNTIL stupid people had their dog on their porch UNTIED, and it ran down the steps at me and Nelson across the street minding our own business. Nelson is terrified of dogs, as having hardly any interactions with them, he barks at them and I have no idea what he'd do to it. So out of fear and panic I picked him up and this other dog was like chasing me through the yards jumping up on me, down the street. While the stupid owner took their darned good old time getting their dog, while they were shouting just ignore him. Yeah...I'll just ignore your large dog that is jumping up on me to get to my 7lb dog.
Not to mention thank god a car wasn't driving by when their dog ran across the street to get to me. I don't know if Nelson was that upset by it as it happened so fast, but I was all frazzled. I've only had that happen 1 other time with Andy, and it was 2 Goldens. It's just that Andy didn't have this fear of dogs like Nelson. And he tries to bite you if you keep him from something, so I'm lucky I or the dog didn't get bit in the process.

But I can't believe people are so irresponsible. Like tie him up!!! I feel like we took a giant step backwards today. Because he was doing so good on the walk till that point. Has that ever happened to any of you before, and what did you do?

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
There is a law in our town that a dog cannot run loose but no one seems to abide by it. We have two gorgeous, hugh Great Danes that live down the street and run loose all the time. My babies are scared of them. They are nicely behaved and very regal looking but because of their size, they are afraid. If one of them would jump on me, I would not like it.:angry: I am sorry you had to encounter that on your walk today. It does make you not want to take your little one on a walk.............

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Wow, I've never had that happend. Poor you and poor little baby. What I did, especially with Mia, was walk her on a lead in the house, just to get her used to it. They do get a good bit of interaction with other dogs, but the people have them on a leash. Their favorite is Lilly, a pug, who is always behind a fence.

I'm sure you were frazzled, and I would have been too. But our babies pick up on these things.

I would get back out there, bring little treats and along the way, is give him a couple. I point out happy things along the way, they can hear it in my voice.

I only had one mishap. I have a fenced in yard, and had my two babies out there. At that time, they were only gosh, maybe 4 or 5 pounds, and my neighbor, decided to plop their baby Betty in my yard. Betty is a herding dog, that they adopted at a shelter. She is the same age as my two, but 5 or 6 times the size. So all three were not on a leash. Naturally Betty wanted to play with my two. I went over and felt Betty, and told my neighbor, I love her, but I am so sorry, for right now, her body weight and sturcture and playfulness is just too much for my two.

Now if my two see Betty, and Betty is on a leash, they are fine, and we even go visit her. Betty cries for my two :(.

I would not be pleased at all if what happened to you happened to me, but I would get back out there, and happily ask your little guy if he wants to go for a walk, and bring some treats.

Sorry, this happened to you. I live in a very strict state, and so far I've never seen a dog without a leash on.

Don't be discouraged, just start again, and don't let this occurence take the joy of walking away from you and your precouis boy.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
How awful for you!:sorry: and glad that you and little Nelson did not get hurt. I am fortunate where I live as almost all the neighbors are good about obeying the leash laws. We have a lot of dogs in our neighborhood, and the majority tend to be big dogs. I avoid large dogs at all costs, even when the owner tells me their dog is "friendly". The reason for this is even if a friendly large dog wants to "play", a playful bite, or just stepping on one of my girls could result in serious injury or even death. My sister-in-law's poodle was stepped on by a Great Dane that crushed her foot and it took months and many trips to the vet before it healed. The Great Dane was a nice, friendly dog. When I walk my girls, I always look around and a big dog encounter is always at the back of my mind. I try to walk them at "non-peak" times as the big dogs are usually out walking early in the morning and late in the afternoon. I am very protective of my girls as they are so tiny.:heart:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the worst part was, I had seen the dog when we were walking UP the street, but it was in the house. So I had no idea when we were walking back DOWN the street, it'd be out loose on the porch. It happened so fast.

Or like what if I was a small child walking up the street and this dog came running at me, that can be traumatic for a child. I mean the lady apologized, I just hope it doesn't happen again. I was very upset. Now it makes me worry like what if that happens and it's a pit bull or something. I remember reading something on here about a pitt bull attacking and killing a Maltese on a walk. Or you get badly injured in the process too, of trying to get the dog off.

People are just so irresponsible. A dog outside should always be tied up, if not in an enclosed yard or something. I mean their dog coulda been killed had a car been driving by, its a semi busy road its kinda like a shortcut road. Atleast 5 drove by while we were walking. UGH, I just hope it never happens again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts