Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Leila and I went in to a vet appointment today because I was planning on having her spayed ASAP. I waited this long hoping she would gain a little weight and we would be settled into our new home. I had noticed she seemed a little swollen down there, but didn't think too much of it, when the vet today told us she will probably go into heat any day now. She suggested waiting until after the heat to do the spay, due to bleeding risk.

So, now I am waiting through the first heat. Sure, I wish things were different, but now I've got to deal with the situation at hand.

Now, what to expect? The vet said to expect a personality change, more licking down there, the other female dog in the house may sniff her more down there, and some spotting of blood or blood-tinged discharge. She said some dogs bleed a lot more than others; some you can barely see any blood as they lick most of it away themselves.

I'm looking for any advice in coping through this heat and any heads-ups so I know what to expect. I am hesitant to have her walking around in a 'diaper' due to matting/heat, but what about the furniture/carpets/blankets?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!

By the way, Leila is 2 lbs, 10oz today at almost 8 months.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'm sorry Leila is going into heat...it shouldn't be TOO bad, but it isn't fun. lol

I don't have experience from any of my own dogs going into heat, but I once babysat a Chihuahua that was in heat and there was quite a bit of blood. She had a couple of little diapers that she wore and I'm glad she did because there definitely would have been blood on our rugs/furniture.

Just go ahead and get a diaper and just deal with it...Leila just got a haircut didn't she? There shouldn't be too much matting (if any) since I know you will brush her out once or twice per day. You can also shave the insides of her back legs down a little and also trim her bum area shorter if you think that would help. The Chi I sat for bled for 2 weeks or so, and it slooooowly tapered off.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Most importantly, do not let her outside without a leash and you. I'd keep her in if she will go on pads. You may have dogs visiting from all over.
Otherwise, just be careful to put a blanket or sheet down for her if you hold her or have her on furniture.
She may get nesty and more luvy dovy. Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
When Ava's in heat, I don't do anything really. She takes care pretty much of everything by herself. But beware, you may have a spot to clean up here and there. I don't use anything because of the knots it would cause. Near the end, she turns into a "hot" momma and tries to lure the boys!! She's shamless!!! :w00t: At that point, I keep her in an xpen when I'm not home. Of course they can't get her pregnant, but they're bigger than her and could penetrate and hurt her. If there are no male dogs around you can get through it....and it's not that long, even though it seems like it.:unsure: After that you may have to wait a month or so before getting her spayed.

I'm waiting till Ava's hair cut before her spay.....good grief, i'm hoping she doesn't go into heat during this wait.... :blink:

good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I don't do anything 'different' when my girls are in heat, except maybe put a blanket over my bed so they don't get blood on it. Typically, they keep themselves pretty clean. i dont' worry about diapers or panties or anything.

Luckily I don't have any male dogs so it's not that big of a deal when i have one in heat!

Personality changes are minimal, from what I've experienced.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
No personality changes in the girls at my house either. No diapers either. But there is serious attention paid to who goes where, when and how because I do have an intact male. My girls do not go for walks out in public while they are in season ... no reason to torment all the intact males of the canine world. Put a blanket on the sofa or bed or wherever Leila is hanging out and that should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i experienced an accidental heat and like others, didn't use diapers, only a towel or blanket on my bed. when i took reina for a walk, i put a onsie on her with a small panty liner. for the most part she kept herself clean.

i'm not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but the heat lasts 3 weeks. there may be bleeding only 1 week-10 days, however, but she is still fertile so you have to be careful. also, our vet recommended waiting for 2 months AFTER the heat ended, to ensure that her hormones had leveled off.

i did experience a BIG personality change. reina only had eyes for our neutered male and he only had eyes for her. if he wasn't paying attention to her, she went up and pestered him (with her bottom in his face!). it was so sad because usually they are totally focused on me. but as soon as her cycle ended, much to his surprise she wanted NOTHING to do with him. and sure enough, about 2 months later she started to play with him again, so i assume the hormones leveled off. and we got her spayed with no problems.

good luck with your adorable little one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts