Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we were away, Sisse was at the puppy sitter. Wonderful gal, she took such good care of Sisse. She came back clean (she even bathed her), smelling sweet and VERY tired!! There was another Malt baby there at the same time, they played VERY hard and just loved one another.....anyway, we received a call on Saturday from the puppy sitter that she had noticed a bulge on her belly right where her umbilical cord would of been. She had taken her to our Vet immediately and they said she developed an umbilical hernia. They don't know why it happened but said the area must of always been "weak" and maybe with all the puppy playing being done that it herniated. It is okay for now, but when she goes in at the end of the month they'll repair that when they do her spay. We are just to watch it to make sure it doesn't get bigger, if it does, they may have to do her spay sooner than anticipated. Has anyone ever had this problem with their baby?? It does not seem to bother her at all.....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I've had a couple of cats and one dog with an umbilical hernia. I believe it has something to do with the way the mother bites the cord off, but don't quote me on it - it's been a long time. Anyway, it's no big deal and they usually just repair it during the spay.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Parker had one when he was a pup..its not a big deal unless it is really big (big enough for the intestines to go through and get strangled) when i brought parker in for his neuter we fixed it then (i actually put the last stitch in heheh). now u wouldnt know except for the scar which she would have after her spay anyways.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sis has not gained anything, in fact, she lost a little bit. She was at 6 lbs on Saturday at the office our Vet said.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Beastie was born with a small umbilical hernia, which the vet said was no big deal. She said it would just take a couple of stitches at the same time he got neutered. So now it's fixed, and it healed without any problems.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Carol Ann@May 3 2005, 02:37 PM
Beastie was born with a small umbilical hernia, which the vet said was no big deal. She said it would just take a couple of stitches at the same time he got neutered. So now it's fixed, and it healed without any problems. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59393
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carol Ann, it's comforting to know it's not a big deal!! I get a little
when anything happens!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
l.e. was born with an ambilical hernia too. the vet says that it can be taken care of when she gets spayed. when did your all's puppies get spayed? i've heard different things from different people, but with l.e. little hernia i don't really want to wait too long. does anyone if this is a complicated procedure?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 6 2005, 08:03 PM
i got lucy spayed at almost 6 months
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60599
[/QUOTE]

i think i'm going to spay l.e. at 6 months too. my vet made me feel pressured about all the stuff coming up in the next few months for l.e. he suggested waiting until she's six months because of her size and to wait and see if she loses all her baby teeth. so i guess my poor baby could have her hernia, spay, teeth pulling and microchip all at the same time. Poor baby
i'm going to be so worried for her while she's away. at least i have about two more months until i have to take her in.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by elliesmomie+May 10 2005, 04:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 6 2005, 08:03 PM

i think i'm going to spay l.e. at 6 months too. my vet made me feel pressured about all the stuff coming up in the next few months for l.e. he suggested waiting until she's six months because of her size and to wait and see if she loses all her baby teeth. so i guess my poor baby could have her hernia, spay, teeth pulling and microchip all at the same time. Poor baby
i'm going to be so worried for her while she's away. at least i have about two more months until i have to take her in.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61443
[/B][/QUOTE]
ie,, oh i feel so bad for them Summer too will have all that done at once. i feel like such a :
mean person

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa@May 11 2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by elliesmomie+May 10 2005, 04:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 6 2005, 08:03 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61443

[/QUOTE]
ie,, oh i feel so bad for them Summer too will have all that done at once. i feel like such a :
mean person
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61540
[/B][/QUOTE]

i hope she doesn't hate me too much. she already is scared to go to the vet because they pricked her really bad at her 12 week shot appointment. i guess they pricked her in her muscle because she "was a wiggle worm". needless to say i'm taking her to another vet that has a great reputation with small breeds for her spay, etc. when is summer getting spayed?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shrekkie has an umbilical hernia, too. He turns 6 months at the end of May. He's going in for his neutering and hernia removal on May 31. The vet explained the procedure. She said it's fairly routine and that he should heal quickly.

I'll have him microchipped then, too. I don't think he'll need teeth removed, they all look fine-but the vet will check and remove any if necessary.

I know we'll be anxious when he goes in and through his recovery--but I know that I'll feel so much better when all this is done and I know that he's on his way to a healthy adulthood with all puppy visits and necessary surgeries taken care of!
Shrek is such a sweetie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts