Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
When I purchased my little Maggie at 6 months old..she had a little umbilical hernia. Have any of you had dogs with such a problem. I don't think it's anything serious (kind of like a little marble on top of the skin on her belly). I was just wondering at what point do you usually get it fixed?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have both dogs and cats with umbilical hernias. It's no big deal. They usually fix it when they spay or neuter.

FYI, my friend who got me hooked on Maltese got a puppy with an umbilical hernia. The breeder pointed it out to her and reduced the price of the puppy by $100 (10 years ago so it would be more today).

If you got a health guarentee, you might want to speak to your breeder since it will add to the cost of Maggie's spay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by Kissyfur@Apr 6 2005, 09:02 AM
Hi there,
When I purchased my little Maggie at 6 months old..she had a little umbilical hernia. Have any of you had dogs with such a problem. I don't think it's anything serious (kind of like a little marble on top of the skin on her belly). I was just wondering at what point do you usually get it fixed?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49585
[/QUOTE]

Palbert had an umbilical hernia... but I had it fixed when he went into surgery for his luxating patella. Had he not needed surgery for something more important, I wouldn't have made an appointment just for that after talking to my vet. He basically said it wasn't serious.

Now, something that you need to know for your little girl: it's a more serious condition for girls. This is because, if she gets pregnant the hernia can expand when their belly gets bigger.

So all in all, if she's not getting pregnant, then I would only schedule to get it fixed, when she's getting another surgery, like spaying etc. It's always good to do multiple procedures in one sitting due to them being under, which is always a dangerous thing.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shrek has a small umbilical hernia, too. It was the first thing our vet and I discussed when I took him in for his puppy check up the day we got him. He'll have it removed the day he goes in for neutering. As our vet explained it, it's more involved (invasive) than a male neuter but less so than a female spay.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Summer has one too.. Vet said ok but must fix if we want to breed. or when she gets fixed. Was thinking I would like to breed her but I think she's going to be to small would not risk her for anything we have just fallen in love with her

1 - 6 of 6 Posts