Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay. so i was rubbing lucys tummy a few minutes ago and i found a BUG! :eek: it was small and black and crawling really fast.

anyways.. what exactly do fleas look like? if she does have fleas, i'll be really mad, cuz we use the flea medicine stuff..

yuck.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: Sounds like a flea...actually, I am surprised you saw it...most of the time they "flee" so fast.. (
a little "flea" joke...
) that you can't see them...I usually find Brink's in the bath..

I would give her a bath and see if you find more. My vet told me that finding a "few" with topical treatments was normal...they are going to get on the dog, they just won't live and reproduce or whatever.
If you find she has more than a "few", I would go to the vet and get a Capstar pill. This will kill them in just a few hours. Then treat her and your house...
Fleas suck!
Sorry....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Do you see any flea dirt on Lucy? Little black specks that look like grains of pepper? Check her skin, especially on her rump around her tail area. Flea dirt is actually their poop. If you wet it, it turns from black to red since its ingested blood. That would indicate a infestation, rather than one stray who jumped on.

What brand of preventative do you use?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you see any flea dirt on Lucy? Little black specks that look like grains of pepper?[/B]
uhoh. yes, about 10 big ones and 5 little ones. mostly on her upper/middle back

i actually just killed (one of?) the fleas though. surprised they weren't faster.

ewwww what do i do?!

What brand of preventative do you use?[/B]

k9 advantix or advantage.. whatever its called

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
When was the last time Lucy was treated with Advantix? Maybe she needs to be retreated?

Sometimes fleas can get into your carpeting and hatch there. You can use a professional exterminator if you think you have an infestation. I had a problem a few years ago and read that Adams flea powder (not spray) for carpets is the best. I got some and sprinkled it on the carpet, worked it in with a broom, then vacummed it up after leaving it on for as long as the directions said. The treatment lasts a year. It did the trick for me.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When was the last time Lucy was treated with Advantix? Maybe she needs to be retreated?[/B]
about 2.5 weeks ago.. surely it lasts longer than that?

Sometimes fleas can get into your carpeting and hatch there[/B]
thats exactly what the vet tech suggested when i talked to him..

my only question is, why don't i see little black bugs in my carpet

thanks so much for your help
i'll look into that flea powder. did you have to order it?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just a thought...where did you get your Advantix? There has been a lot in the news lately about counterfeit flea products that don't work.

I got the Adams flea powder at Petsmart a couple of years ago. It's a pretty common brand, but not all pet stores carry the carpet powder. I'd call a few places. I think the article said that if you couldn't find Adams, that Zodiac carpet powder was good also. No, you don't want to have to order it. Gotta kill those little buggers now!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 26 2005, 11:27 AM
Ewww, Jessica you're so brave :new_Eyecrazy: My vet has this big rubber flea model in her office and that thing makes me itchy just looking at it.  It grosses me out because they are so small....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65524
[/QUOTE]

lol.. i couldnt stand the thought of my lucy being itchy. she was like gnawing on her back

hahahah those little buggers think they're so fast but i'm hunting them down :lol:

isn't that snazzy?!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 26 2005, 11:32 AM
Just a thought...where did you get your Advantix? There has been a lot in the news lately about counterfeit flea products that don't work.

I got the Adams flea powder at Petsmart a couple of years ago. It's a pretty common brand, but not all pet stores carry the carpet powder. I'd call a few places. I think the article said that if you couldn't find Adams, that Zodiac carpet powder was good also. No, you don't want to have to order it. Gotta kill those little buggers now!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65536
[/QUOTE]

i got my advantix at the vet
any chance they're counterfeit?

thanks for the advice - i'm calling my parents right now to have them pick up some carpet powder
i hope i get rid of these nasty things soon.

another question though (gosh you must be so sick of me)- will i have to do it under the bed, and move the couch, etc?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy+May 26 2005, 11:46 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@May 26 2005, 11:32 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65536
i got my advantix at the vet
any chance they're counterfeit?

thanks for the advice - i'm calling my parents right now to have them pick up some carpet powder
i hope i get rid of these nasty things soon.

another question though (gosh you must be so sick of me)- will i have to do it under the bed, and move the couch, etc?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65554
[/B][/QUOTE]
Don't know. I wanted to remind you to wash all of Lucy's beding. So if she sleeps in your bed you will need to wash everthing.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 26 2005, 10:14 AM
When was the last time Lucy was treated with Advantix? Maybe she needs to be retreated?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65472
[/B][/QUOTE]

You don't see them on the carpet b/c they find a warm body to jump onto..

Good luck.
It sounds like she has a pretty bad case of them.

I am serious about the Capstar pills. I would go to the vet and get a few, give her a bath in flea shampoo and then re-treat her with the flea meds. Three weeks in-between won't hurt her...especially if she's got fleas on her. We had an awful time last fall with them. I was using Frontline and changed to Advantage. It did the trick. It took several months to kill them all in the house though...about the time that spring was coming. So far I have only found one on him this spring, so hopefully the Advantage is doing the trick!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by tlunn+May 26 2005, 12:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 26 2005, 10:14 AM
<div class='quotemain'>When was the last time Lucy was treated with Advantix? Maybe she needs to be retreated?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65472
[/B][/QUOTE]

You don't see them on the carpet b/c they find a warm body to jump onto..

Good luck.
It sounds like she has a pretty bad case of them.

I am serious about the Capstar pills. I would go to the vet and get a few, give her a bath in flea shampoo and then re-treat her with the flea meds. Three weeks in-between won't hurt her...especially if she's got fleas on her. We had an awful time last fall with them. I was using Frontline and changed to Advantage. It did the trick. It took several months to kill them all in the house though...about the time that spring was coming. So far I have only found one on him this spring, so hopefully the Advantage is doing the trick!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65570
[/B][/QUOTE]

yuck... do I have fleas?~!

i'll talk to the vet about the capstar.. i called a while ago and they didnt say anything about them

i'm gonna sound dumb.. are advantage and advantix the same thing?

fleas are so gross. i feel so dirty.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.