Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All!!
Archie is 5 months old, and we have schedule apt for neutering next month when he turns 6 months.

We had apt with vet yesterday, he said Archie has one undescended testicles.
he asked us to cancel neutering apt and schedule another one when he turns 7.5 months so to let testicle drop itself.
He has started marking around house, humping toys, kids and also lifting his legs.
What do you guys suggest? Should we wait or go ahead at 6 months?
Thanks!!

Myra

·
Super Moderator
10,186 Posts
current thought on neutering is to wait until around a year to allow optimum bone growth. I’d definitely wait and encourage you to research the current information on neutering. As for the marking, you can put a belly band on him with a pad in it. He will still lift and try to mark but he will go into the pad which you then throw away, if you have several, you can keep them clean by washing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
current thought on neutering is to wait until around a year to allow optimum bone growth. I’d definitely wait and encourage you to research the current information on neutering. As for the marking, you can put a belly band on him with a pad in it. He will still lift and try to mark but he will go into the pad which you then throw away, if you have several, you can keep them clean by washing.
Thank you so much for you reply!
I am just worried about his testicle not in place..other than that I can work on things. Thank you.... I will buy belly band.

·
Premium Member
24,021 Posts
Some do some don't. My Tyler had both undescended so we had the surgery. Both his testicles were in his abdomen. I'm the VP of American Maltese Association Rescue and we've had many dogs come in with cryptorchid issue and their neuter is more like a spay. The main danger if you don't have them neutered they can end up with testicular cancer down the road. You also have to be extremely careful if he goes unneutered for a year that he doesn't get around an unspayed female and mate. It doesn't take much time and you don't want to be responsible for a dog having a litter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some do some don't. My Tyler had both undescended so we had the surgery. Both his testicles were in his abdomen. I'm the VP of American Maltese Association Rescue and we've had many dogs come in with cryptorchid issue and their neuter is more like a spay. The main danger if you don't have them neutered they can end up with testicular cancer down the road. You also have to be extremely careful if he goes unneutered for a year that he doesn't get around an unspayed female and mate. It doesn't take much time and you don't want to be responsible for a dog having a litter.
We schedule his neutering at his 6.5 months. It is too much of risk like you said. We met his vet yesterday and he can feel other testicle move from abdomen to little lower.. praying it goes in it’s place by his 6 months.

Thank you so much for your reply!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts