Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some bad news. Uno doesnt look like he is gonna be a therapy dog. I have been working with him from day one and a trainer from a local therapy org has been training him for over 3 weeks. He does great in some areas but others there is little improvement. I dont think he has the personality of the other therapy dog pups we have placed. The trainer and I both agreed that he will probly need to be placed in a normal home.

I would love to have his owner be a member of SM whom ever he goes to will know about this site. I have heard of a few people who were interested. If yall know of anyone looking for a Male with a TON of energy let me know.

He's a love muffin but he needs attention. He is well on his way to beng potty trained. He misses when he poops but hes got the pee thing down

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Thats alright, I'm sure he'll find a great pet home
It would be great for a SM member to bring Uno home!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
We wish you and Uno well in finding the perfect home for him. I, too hope it will be with a SM member, but as long as he goes to a good home who will love him unconditionally high energy and all that will be great. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by puppylucy@Sep 11 2005, 07:26 AM
awww...
i'm so sorry.

idea!! - why don't you keep him? lol i'm sure you've already thought about that..but.. why not?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98429
[/QUOTE]
I love Uno but I'm staying with my parents and they wouldnt like another dog in the house. I also plan to have my next malt be show quality so I can start with my new hobby. I thought about keeping him and getting another Maltese, but keeping two in show coat is enough. I like my maltese to be natural and in coat. He is a bit to high energy for my taste in Maltese.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 11 2005, 06:47 PM
Is it really possible to tell that at this age?????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98570
[/QUOTE]
It is possible to tell if they have therapy dog qualities at this age. We take into consideration that they are puppys. Prissy was never a hyper or a in your face dog. I know that she is not the norm. You have to think of it like this I could keep him another 4 weeks or so to tell if I really wanted to keep him. You also have to remember the older he is the less desireable he is to most people wanting a puppy. Its hard enough being a boy. Now is not a good time in my life for a puppy. He would be much happier with someone who could give him the one on one attention he needs.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Did you think any of Uno's high energy "in your face" personality is more a result of being an only puppy than a real inbred personality trait? Multiple puppies in a litter play constantly and tire one another out. He's never had a buddy to play with.

It's shame you have to decide so soon about his suitability for therapy work, but I do understand that male puppies are harder to place.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I never have been able to understand the preference for girls!! I adore my little guy and think his personality is a match for any little girl!! What I ment by my question was can you really tell at 10 or 12 weeks what their ultimate personality will be as an adult? Isn't that the old nature vs nurture argument?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
If I didn't live so far away ( NY) I'd love to take Uno!!
I thought I had a little boy of 3 years old, but owners changed their mind.. daughter had a fit so Mom decided to keep Mikey... supposedly with agrrement daughter would take on the responsibility of caring for him.
Since thought Mikey was 'done-deal" as we were supposed to pick him up yesterday.. I lost out on the other little puppy also.
I can't travel far so Uno is too far way.. but if anyone knows of a little available malt.please contact me.
I have been searching the rescues but not sure I'm emotionally ready to take on an already 'special needs" pooch at this time ( went thru so much with my little girl) or an older one and that seems to be what is available at the moment
Thanks!
Terry and my sweet Angel Missy

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Terry, I am so sorry that Mikey didn't come to live with you after all. I personally think these people are cruel and insensitive, knowing what you have just been through losing with Missy, telling you you could pick Mikey up yesterday, then changing their minds.

If you are seriously interested in a rescue, contact Mary Palmer with Northcentral Maltese rescue. The dogs you see listed on Petfinder are the ones that are harder to place, like special needs or senior dogs. Most of the dogs they take in are never even posted on Petfinder as their perfect home is already waiting for them. Most rescue groups pre-screen potential adoptioners, then place them accordingly.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 12 2005, 10:20 AM
I never have been able to understand the preference for girls!! I adore my little guy and think his personality is a match for any little girl!!<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98742
[/QUOTE]
I agree 100%! I doubt I will ever get a girl dog again! Toby has the perfect personality for me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I try to tell people that boys are just as good dogs as girls are. If you have them neutered whats the difference? We have a few hopeful homes. I just want to pick he best home for him. I think hi energy has alot o do with him being the only pup. He plays and plays. I'm just worried that a person will have him crated up all day at work and then expect him to want to cuddle when they get home. Prissy is a very mellow malt but he is one that will need a daily long playtime to wear him out. I havnt been walking him becaue I dont want to take him in public until he has all shots. I think walking him would be a great release of energy. He lacks the focus they look for in therapy. He is like a little ADD puppy. One min hes here then hes there. Just a really active guy.

Shiner our min pin was like this and the olny way we could handle it was to take him on a run and play with him for a few hours then he would sleep through the night. He is the smartest min pin just very playful and in need of a job. This is what makes him great at Agility. This pup needs a home that understands a puppy needing an active life.

He had his last therapy training class today, and a trip to the vet to get is 1st set of shots. He weighs a solid 3.4 lbs he will not be a tiny maltese I'm thinking around 8 lbs or so. I havent heard a peep from him since we got home he is a great puppy you just have to wear him out.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by sassy14830@Sep 12 2005, 06:26 PM
I try to tell people that boys are just as good dogs as girls are. If you have them neutered whats the difference? We have a few hopeful homes. I just want to pick he best home for him. I think hi energy has alot o do with him being the only pup. He plays and plays. I'm just worried that a person will have him crated up all day at work and then expect him to want to cuddle when they get home. Prissy is a very mellow malt but he is one that will need a daily long playtime to wear him out. I havnt been walking him becaue I dont want to take him in public until he has all shots. I think walking him would be a great release of energy. He lacks the focus they look for in therapy. He is like a little ADD puppy. One min hes here then hes there. Just a really active guy.

Shiner our min pin was like this and the olny way we could handle it was to take him on a run and play with him for a few hours then he would sleep through the night. He is the smartest min pin just very playful and in need of a job. This is what makes him great at Agility. This pup needs a home that understands a puppy needing an active life.

He had his last therapy training class today, and a trip to the vet to get is 1st set of shots. He weighs a solid 3.4 lbs he will not be a tiny maltese I'm thinking around 8 lbs or so. I havent heard a peep from him since we got home he is a great puppy you just have to wear him out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98932
[/QUOTE]

I think it is great that you understand his personality and what his needs are. That can really help in finding the right home. I wish all breeders did this.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
SASSY14830- I too am sorry I'm so far away!!!!!! (I'm in NY too) My boys are bundles of enery and I like it that way!!!! Uno would not lack for activity at my house!!!!! Good luck finding a home!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts