Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
We never have him off a leash outside so we can't say. He does aggressively growl sometimes when he sees people outside.

Thanks,
I have the same exact thing going on here with Rocky. I need to sign him up for obedience classes right away. My neighbors probably don't like him now. =0(

·
Registered
847 Posts
Dianne, I'm not sure what sorts of facilities are around you for training, but I go to this place where they had puppy classes for Leila. The trainer taught loose leash walking, positive greeting behaviors, and other puppy manners basics (which it sounds like Rocky needs). If you can find a nice, calm puppy class like the one we took (NOT the sort where the dogs run wild the whole time), I would definitely consider that over an obedience class, to start. I think the obedience class would probably focus more on commands, which are all well and good but if you don't even have the basics down, that's going to be the most important place to start. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I would recommend finding a local trainer that uses positive reinforcement and start working on this asap. You can find some qualified trainers at APDT or CCPDT.

Saying "no" and tugging on his leash is not going to help at all. That will only make him that much more reactive. You will need to do some behavior modification and teach him the RIGHT thing to do. The best way to learn how to do this and do it effectively is to have a trainer work with you and your dog.
Thanks, I checked out APDT and got two trainers calling me that are so close by! They even come to the house. I have to see what they charge. Do you know the average rates? I don't have any idea.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Rates vary by where you live. If you get a couple rates and they are similar, its a good bet they are within the norm for your area.
JMM, if you call local trainers that come to your house, what questions should you ask them?

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
JMM, if you call local trainers that come to your house, what questions should you ask them?

HUGz! Jules
How to Choose a Dog Trainer

When someone contacts me, one thing that shows me the owners are serious is their inquiries about the type of cases I see, how I treat them, and if they can talk to my clients. When I taught group classes people were always invited to watch. I haven't done group classes in a while so I find inviting someone to watch me train one of my dogs in a class is another good way to demonstrate my methods and expertise. I think "openness" is important in selecting a trainer.
The people who ask price and how long this will take first tend to be the people I will end up wasting my time with. Personally, I'd rather not waste my time than get paid to be frustrated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My problem is that Fred is NOT a barker--instead, when I walk him and he sees another dog, he wants to go over and starts this horrific whine, kind of crying--it sounds like he is hurt--he will pull on his harness and keep this noise up--I just quietly say no, and keep on walking--but he will not calm down until I am past the other dog or person. He does not appear to be frightened--just keeps this noise up until I go over to the other dog--(which I rarely do-as the other dog is put off by the noise and I am afraid of the other dog biting him )He is not nervous in his "space" or with anyone who comes over. I have hesitated taking him to our nice park where there is a walking path because of this. When he sees another PERSON, after he gets to them he will want to be loved and is not aggressive at all. Jackie--any advice?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My problem is that Fred is NOT a barker--instead, when I walk him and he sees another dog, he wants to go over and starts this horrific whine, kind of crying--it sounds like he is hurt--he will pull on his harness and keep this noise up--I just quietly say no, and keep on walking--but he will not calm down until I am past the other dog or person. He does not appear to be frightened--just keeps this noise up until I go over to the other dog--(which I rarely do-as the other dog is put off by the noise and I am afraid of the other dog biting him )He is not nervous in his "space" or with anyone who comes over. I have hesitated taking him to our nice park where there is a walking path because of this. When he sees another PERSON, after he gets to them he will want to be loved and is not aggressive at all. Jackie--any advice?
Its hard to say without seeing him. The whine could be anxiety in general, appeasement to the other dog (I'm excited to see you but I promise I'm the submissive one), or simply excitement. His body language would reveal the answer and your plan of attack highly depends on the reason behind his behavior. You deal with excitement much differently than you do a dog with puppy-ish social skills.
Has he ever been off leash with other dogs? If so how does he react?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jackie, I spent 17 days at Christmas with my son in Dallas. He has three rescue dogs--one Husky mix, and two Pitts--all three are remarkably well-behaved. My son is a marvelous pet owner. Fred and the larger Pitt, Annie, played like mad. She has a gentle dispositon --yes, I know what they say about Pitts, but this dog is beautifully socialized. Fred showed no problems--but this was IN the house. I have no doggie park where I live, just a nice walking path at our park and dogs must be on leash, so he has never been off harness. After reading your post, I am beginning to think Fred's behavior may be excitement as well as being submissive. I thought I would take him to the park tomorrow-his first time-and see how he does with a lot of people. He loves to walk, in fact, wants to run like mad on his leash. Am I doing the right thing by just continuing to walk by the other dogs or people?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I couldn't tell you without seeing him what the motive...but the behavior is not appropriate and should be modified. What technique is best again, depends on his motive.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'm saving this...thanks for the tips, very useful. Rocky barks when he is outside in our backyard, but not consistently. He still barks at other dogs on walks. I am calling a trainer tomorrow. He is getting used to walking around Petco and seeing other dogs. We took him today and he did bark at one dog, but when a sheep dog came by, he went nose to nose with her and didn't bark. Maybe he knew he was out of his league..usually he doesn't have a clue! He doesn't have the name Rocky for nothing...he definitely has some attitude to go with that name. LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
hi my maltese has started barking at 6 30 in a morning which is fine on a week day as we all get up then but can i stop her barking on a weekend? i don t know why she s barking as she has a litter tray as she s only small so she s not needing potty maybe she s hungry? any advice please.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Dogs don't do weekends. They don't go "Oh, its Saturday! I'll sleep in." I find getting up, pottying the dog, and providing them with a food toy will get you a bit more sleep.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
jackie , my dolce continues to bark nonstop when they ring my apt buzzer and will bark til the person comes in the house , it doesnt matter if its someone that lives in the house or not , its not at the person but at the buzzer and the doorbell once upstairs. funny thing is dolce does not bark at other dogs , he doesnt bark at ppl , he doesnt bark when outside , just the bell. i have tried every single thing u have suggested and nothing. I try the interrupt , coins in can , the stern no, the clicker , the toy , even ringing the door to try to desensitize , absolutely nothing works , the only thing that will shut him down is if he gets picked up. Its like if the bell freaks him out. .. i dont know what else to try , hes been with us over a yr and he still hasnt stopped that habit. granted its the only time he becomes a little madman but still it drives us crazy .

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Jackie, thank you so much! It's one thing to sort of 'know' how something should be done to having thorough instructions, so it's so appreciated to have everything spelled out so clearly. Best of all is hearing that a dog can be trained no matter what age or prior circumstance. Our pom is a really reactive yapper, though fortunately not excessively so, so I'm definitely going to work on him.

With Cozette I've used the "stop" command. I trained her to give me her attention whenever I say stop. Sometimes she whips her head around so fast I think she's going to get whiplash, LOL. Funny though that this does not work for our pom, so I'll adjust my training to how you described in scenario #1-- that definitely sounds like that will work for him.

Cozette does this funny "talking" when I correct her-- I guess it's her way of telling me what she thinks, LOL. I don't know how to explain it other than to say its sort of vocalizing in her throat- not a whine and not a bark. Each of our dogs is so individual, it's quite fun hearing how they all respond.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I would try immediately removing Dolce. Put him in his crate in another room with the door shut. I guide by a leash. Keep a slip lead handy. The second he goes off, give him a "you lose", remove him. He gets to chill alone for 15 minutes. Then bring him out. If he barks, right back he goes. Your verbal marker gets matched with being removed. You must be 100% consistent and remove him every single time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thanks, kong toy given when poppy started barking at 6 30 sat morning after she d been fed and watered and i left the radio on and i managed another hour in bed.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts