Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I believe you shouldn't get their vaccines AND rabies at the same time. You should wait about a month between the two.

I'm sure someone else will post here - if not there are other posts that can be found by doing a search

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Hi Rebecca!

When I get vaccines done, the vet always splits them up. So, I would recommend doing the rabies at another vet visit. With their tiny systems, it's safer to split them up into several visits. When you have the girls spayed, the vet will check their teeth usually at that time and extract any needed baby teeth. Now, that my babies are over 1 yr old, I do titer testing only....no vaccines. We only do the rabies vaccine, now, as it is required by law. Hope that helps a bit, I'm sure others will come along with more detailed information. :)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Hi Rebecca. Good luck at the vet visit - hope all goes well! I was just going to say the same thing as Marsha - I would wait a few weeks between other vaccines and the rabies for sure. From what I've read, for these little ones, it's best to wait at least two weeks between shots, but especially the rabies. If you do a search for vaccine protocol, you'll get a bunch of results on here. The one I've seen mentioned here a lot if Dr. Dodd's vaccine protocol.

The liver test that is often discussed here is called the bile acid test and I believe it's best to get it done after 16 weeks of age. There's tons of info regarding that on here - I would look at the pinned threads in the health section. I don't have a maltese yet so I don't know much about the bile acid test but I do know I've seen several threads here discussing it. I would definitely get your pups tested if you can, just for peace of mind.

Good luck! Let us know how the vet visit goes!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You have your pups listed as 14 weeks of age. The last DHPP should be given at/after 16 weeks. Doesn't make sense that you'd do the last DHPP now...
Always separate vaccines by at least a few weeks.

I would have basic bloodwork and a bile acid assay (pre and post) done after 16 weeks but before they are spayed. Any remaining baby teeth can be pulled when they are spayed. They're just really starting to get into teething now, so give them a few more months.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
So many little ones have adverse reactions to vaccinations. Especially rabies. Please wait until your girls are at least 4 months of age for that one.
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Rebecca, scroll down this page to the sticky from Dr. Jaimie about vaccinations, that should help you.
xoxoxoxo

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I'm not arguing or disputing or disagreeing or anything but.... can I get some direct links to where you guys are getting this info? I searched vaccination protocol and it's not necessarily giving me the information I am finding here.

Their vaccinations have been separated by three weeks each time and what I have read is that they need to be separated by three to four weeks. I also haven't seen anything that says the final vaccination has to be at or after 16 weeks; everything has said between 12-14 weeks or between 14-16 weeks, depending on the site. Like I said, I also did put in a search of the entire board and it's not showing me where to find direct articles or anything; it's only showing other's opinions and takes on it.

Like I said, I'm not saying any of you are wrong... I just want to know where to find this information for myself! I was happy that tomorrow would be their last appointment for a while!
Please take the information given to heart. What is appropriate for a large breed pup of the same age is not for the fluffs. The vaccine dose is the same for a 35# pup as it is for yours that weigh what 2 1/2# each - it's a shock to the system.

JMM gave you professional advice - she is a vet tech. The best thing you can do for those babies is cancel the appointment for tomorrow, reschedule for about 3 weeks from now, and separate the rabies shot from the other. You won't find this information for yourself b/c what you read is generalized to cover all breeds. You have been given breed specific guidelines from a professional - free of charge. However, if you think what you have read on some website is better information, by all means go by that. I hope Tinker Belle, and Tiger Lilly won't have to suffer the consequences of a misguided decision.

Is this harsh? Perhaps. My only interest is in those pups.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
They were born August 1st. I might be doing the math wrong but as of tomorrow... November 17... aren't they literally just days short of 4 months?

I'm still researching rabies and vaccinations online. A lot of sites are saying rabies is required/recommended by 4 months but is done at 3 sometimes. Like I said, the pups will be just days away from 16 weeks...? As for vaccinations, everything is saying 14-16 weeks, I haven't found anything that says it has to be at or after 16. I'm not trying to be difficult and I may not be looking in the right places...? I just want to know what I should do.
Take the advice you have been given - no one here has anything to gain - your pups will be the winners though.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I don't have a link, but I can tell you from personal experience that when I took Daisy and Gracie in for their rabies shot last year (their first...they turned 1 year in October), Daisy was fine and Gracie had a bad reaction. Called the vet and he had me dose her with some children's benadryl - he said they had changed the vaccination and lots were having reactions. Gracie was throwing up and throwing up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Max had it done at the same time and he was fine. It depends each dog reacts to the meds differently so if you want to be safe and cautious. Do the vaccine and do the rabies a few weeks after. I am just trying to use commone sense. But remember the final choice is yours.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
What I am looking up is specific Maltese vaccinations, not general breeds. My pups are almost four months and right around four pounds. They have had two vaccinations before, each three weeks a part, as recommended. No issues or reactions whatsoever.

I checked our the Dr. Dodd's. I had found that on my own as well and that particular one says vaccinations at 14 weeks... 16 or 18 weeks is optional. The pups are nearly 16 weeks now... days away actually... so isn't it time for their final vaccination?

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone. I also am not stupid. I am researching small breed, small breed puppy, particularly Maltese vaccination recommendations. All of these sites say not to be scared to ask questions about vaccinations and that's all I am doing now. I don't want to just do what you guys tell me to do. I want to understand that this is the best option and why it is. Again, no disrespect, just looking for information.

As for rabies, I probably will push it off, just for the sake of not having them do two shots at once. Dr. Dodd's recommends 20 weeks... I have seen 4 months most commonly and 3 months as acceptable. My county requires 4 months but I suppose I will wait and license them later. My vet also recommended at 4 months.

I'm not trying to over-vaccinate but I want them to be protected. While they are indoors most of the time, we do live in the country, near the woods, and there are other dogs around.
it is good you are doing your research as it is more than most do. Ultimately it is up to you but with toy breeds better to be very cautious.

Vaccine reactions are not always immediate and can come out in the form of epilepsy and autoimmune diseases after the fact like my dee dee with hypothyroid and allergies. I did not know about all this stuff back then so the fact that she was fine before the vaccines and at 6 mos was a total mess cannot help but think the two were tied together sadly. She has been titered since she was six months for this reason and has done fine. A plumber came in my home and his dog was in the hospital with parvo and all she had was her puppy shots up to 6 mos and she was fine.

These are small bodies so over taxing them all at once is a recipe for disaster. You may get lucky or you may end up like me dealing with a dog with life long issues. I just did what vet told me back then but now I educate myself more and try to do what is best and try my best to do the right thing for them.

Just because a dog did not have a reaction the first time does not mean they will not the next time.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What I am looking up is specific Maltese vaccinations, not general breeds. My pups are almost four months and right around four pounds. They have had two vaccinations before, each three weeks a part, as recommended. No issues or reactions whatsoever.

I checked our the Dr. Dodd's. I had found that on my own as well and that particular one says vaccinations at 14 weeks... 16 or 18 weeks is optional. The pups are nearly 16 weeks now... days away actually... so isn't it time for their final vaccination?

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone. I also am not stupid. I am researching small breed, small breed puppy, particularly Maltese vaccination recommendations. All of these sites say not to be scared to ask questions about vaccinations and that's all I am doing now. I don't want to just do what you guys tell me to do. I want to understand that this is the best option and why it is. Again, no disrespect, just looking for information.

As for rabies, I probably will push it off, just for the sake of not having them do two shots at once. Dr. Dodd's recommends 20 weeks... I have seen 4 months most commonly and 3 months as acceptable. My county requires 4 months but I suppose I will wait and license them later. My vet also recommended at 4 months.

I'm not trying to over-vaccinate but I want them to be protected. While they are indoors most of the time, we do live in the country, near the woods, and there are other dogs around.
Yes, this is a hard balance... they require spaying very early in Vegas now too...but the best thing is to have a good relationship with your vet and trust that they are looking out for your dogs too and will advise you to wait if necessary. Maybe your dogs don't get bad reactions, like you said, as other people's dogs have. Vaccinations is a tricky subject - in fact, one I would like to learn a lot more about myself. As some mentioned above, they overdose most dogs - giving the same amount of vaccine to a great dane as they would to the tiniest chihuahua (the chihuahua *or maltese or other small toy sized dog* obviously not needing the same amount. Titre testing is something I am very interested in and wish they would do more of : Blood Test for Dogs to Test Immunity; Don't Over-Vaccinate! | Truth4Dogs

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
My Lola had the regular vaccinations at the expected normal time, then had the rabies about a month later as recommended by my vet. She isn't in to much of a risky situation so she has only had the minimal standard vaccines.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Yes, this is a hard balance... they require spaying very early in Vegas now too...but the best thing is to have a good relationship with your vet and trust that they are looking out for your dogs too and will advise you to wait if necessary. Maybe your dogs don't get bad reactions, like you said, as other people's dogs have. Vaccinations is a tricky subject - in fact, one I would like to learn a lot more about myself. As some mentioned above, they overdose most dogs - giving the same amount of vaccine to a great dane as they would to the tiniest chihuahua (the chihuahua *or maltese or other small toy sized dog* obviously not needing the same amount. Titre testing is something I am very interested in and wish they would do more of : Blood Test for Dogs to Test Immunity; Don't Over-Vaccinate! | Truth4Dogs
Yes, the law is 4 months! If I were to have a pup here, I guess I'd be breaking the law because I would not spay/neuter at 4 months. Spay/neuter by all means, just not that early.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts