Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just received a prepaid box to return the counterfeit FLP! I requested the box on the day of my post....these guys don't get in any hurry. Anyway, I'm going to trash to box b/c I don't want anyone else to get it!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi, I know this is an old post and I am new to SM. Not sure if this is the right stream? I wanted to talk about potential hazards of using these types of products to control fleas and ticks. As a life long dog and critter keeper I understand the constant battle of keeping these pests away from your fuzzy kids.

I was always a little bothered by having to apply such a harsh agent on my animals but enjoyed the convenience of these products, trusted the so called research and kept my fingers crossed that they would not have any adverse reaction to the product. I thought I was doing the right thing. I have had a change of mind when lil maya came into our life. After years of traditional vet care, that sometimes seems driven by drug and food manufactures instead of patient centered care, I decided to seek out a holistic vet. She said No Way to these products for small and very small dogs. I listened. Pet flea treatments can be dangerous, more safety steps in the works, EPA says — Environmental Health News

These products can have very bad outcomes on many dogs, especially small dogs. So much so that the EPA became involved....see link. The way it was explained to me was that these products basically poison the animals blood stream. Even though it is applied topically it is absorbed systemically. They work by giving a blood meal to a pest that is full of the poison that then kills the pest by ingestion. So you are essentially giving your dog a poison to give to a pest via its blood stream. SCARY STUFF. I do not even like to put OFF/DEAT (known carcinogen) all over my skin.

So what is the alternative? I have been using peppermint, lemon oil, glove extract spray that I mix at home and spray on all the fur kids in my home. You can also get premixed solutions at better pet supply merchants. I mist them 3 or 4 times a week in peak season. Plus they all have a wonderful natural aroma and smell sweet and clean.

I was a little skeptical myself. I started this in the beginning of may. Both my dogs attend daycare 2-5 days a week while I am at work, and run the dog park 2-3 days a week. So far not 1 flea not 1 tick. That is better results than I had with frontline. My shichon is a digger and a woods explorer. We would always find dead ticks on him after using frontline, because the nature of the product is, that it does not repel ticks & fleas just kills them after they bite. So even a dead tick has a chance to transmit disease (lyme, tick paralysis) before being killed by the poison, because it has to bite before it is killed. Not the optimal result I want for protection.

So read the link and google the topic and see what you think. I am not trying to tell you how to take care of your precious ones or practice as a Vet...just want to let you know that there is an alternative out there that is as good, if not better, with minimal risk of harm. The results have been better for me and will be much safer for my little dog.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I agree, it is very scary !

Can you give the recipe that you use, how much of each product for the mixture ?

·
Premium Member
17,197 Posts
In principle I agree & have been using essential oils all season, but this week I resorted to sharing half a vial of FLP between Kitzel & Lis, because the ticks are back in Athens in full force! I took several tiny, tiny ones from each of them. Kitzel had a severe reaction to Advantic so did not want to use it. He also had Ehrlichiosis once & I don't want that again. Although FLP & Advantic uses different ingredients he had a mild reaction to FLP last night---only a rapid heart-beat. Lisi tolerated it well although she was allergic to her last injection!
Most ticks (the adult ones) carry tick-borne diseases here so I need to do everything I can to prevent this---it requires a month's antibiotic treatment which I also find revolting, and can be hard on the liver.
So, while I agree in principle sometimes I resort to a more drastic, desperate measure to prevent an even worse outcome.:smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey, Thanks for your responses! I was a little skeptical myself, but my results this year have shown me that I made the right decision. I live in Minnesota, we have had one of the worst tick seasons on record, especially for deer ticks! As I have said not one tick yet, but it is not as convenient as spot treatments. You must be diligent in treating every 2-3 days with a mister. I have used it daily as the mist for combing instead of a conditioner spray. Both dog coats are in good condition, soft and silky naturally with essential oils instead of chemicals. Here are some recipes and links.
Tick Repellent for Dogs Goes Natural and Trouble-free with Essential Oils
http://www.youngliving.com/en_US/index.html
Here is a good premixed solution
http://http://www.vetsbest.com/
Please feel free to message me for any advice or you can discuss this with your Vet. They should be open to working with you and educating themselves on this topic.

Here are some recipes I use as well. We use the scarf when we go to dog park, it is 30 acres of woodland!
/Users/leanne/Desktop/Fleas.doc

·
Registered
423 Posts
Having a problem getting my recipe posted. So here I will try again. Hope this works.

Fleas & Ticks REPELL Fleas & Ticks… NATURALLY!
Here are some suggestions that work:
• Cut up 4 lemons, pour 4 cups of BOILING water over them, let set overnight, then strain and put juice into a plant mister type sprayer, then spritz your pets when going out and about. Put remaining juice in refrigerator.
• Get a bandana — then either Cedarwood oil, Penny Royal oil, or Eucalyptus Oil (you decided on what smell you like). Put a couple of drops on the bandana, then seal it in a zip lock bag overnite. Next morning tie bandana around dogs neck. Replace when the smell dulls. I make a couple at a time.
• Use a flea comb to check for fleas and to nab any ticks. It also can nab deer ticks — comb around head, neck, ears, armpits, between back legs. If you catch one, dip comb in a jar of rubbing alcohol to kill them.
• Give “BUG OFF” garlic tablets daily from SPRINGTIME inc. (Springtime, Inc. | All Natural Supplements for Horses, Dogs, and People. Springtime, Inc. manufactures and sells direct to the consumer. We use only the finest ingredients. Chondroitin sulfate, Glucosamine HCL, MSM, Boswellia, Garlic, Vitamin C, Biof). I do this along with one of the others. I give them from April 1st to November 1st.
• FLEA FREE works well too. Just spray it on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow. First my sympathy to those who bought fakes.

I just ordered from my vet - it was a little more but with shipping the price was close PLUS my vet is top notch and I want to give them my business.

:angry:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts