Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*****Warning - somewhat disturbing pics ahead*****

Well, good news and bad news with this one. To recap, for MONTHS (and I mean months) I've been dealing with Caira and a skin infection where she has open oozing lesions. She has been on antibitoics for months

Good news?

Skin is almost all cleared up

This is what it looked like 5 weeks ago

and today, after a month of Simplicef

The bad news?

I still can't take the cone off of her :(
She's even worse than before, except this time it isn't her skin, it's her eyes.

I took her to the vet today and he thinks it's allergy related (still) but even with the cone on, she has been digging at her eyes so now she has upgraded to a bigger one. It's mostly the right eye and she has done significant damage to the skin around her eye so it's now green, goopy and infected.

during a a bath today

You can see how much worse the right eye is

And while we were at the vet today. Her hair cut is atrocious as i've had to cut (as in, hack) more and more out of necessity but her bad hair cut is the least of this poor thing's problems. :crying:

Here has been her long course of treatment:

3 weeks of Lincomycin with 2 weeks of Predisone
(no change)

3 weeks of an anti-fungal
(no change)

2 weeks of Clavamox
(no change and getting worse with new lesions on the Clavamox)

4 weeks of Simplicef
(finally the lesions cleared up)

and now....

4 more weeks of Simplicef. He wanted to put her back on Clavamox but since it had done nothing before, I didn't want to waste that time for no results, so I requested the Simplicef again She is also back on predisone and eye meds.

I have not started the colostrum that was recommended because i didn't want to put her on too many things at once, where I wouldn't know which thing was what cleared things up, but now I won't have that problem and will start it.

She has been on a strict allergy diet (rabbit and potato kibble with potato treats) for 6 weeks. I am taking her to the dermatologist again on tuesday for a recheck but I didn't want to wait until then to have her examined, so I took her back to my vet again. The dermatologist is only in town twice a month so I don't have the option of taking her in to be soon sooner.

I had never truly appreciated how awful allergies can be for a dog - now I can. She has had to wear a cone 24/7 for at least 5 months, I just want to get her to a point where I can take it off!

Thank you for reading and for all your inquiries and well-wishes on my sweet girl. I hope this gets completely cleared up soon! Not only has it been miserable for Caira, it hasn't been a cheap situation :(

On a positive note - Lois is due to have puppies next week :chili:

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
oh Caira:bysmilie:all I can do is keep praying for you baby girl.
Stacy my heart is breaking right now, I had hoped for better news.
Hang in there

Losi is going to be a mommy, I'm so excited make sure and keep us updated and pictures when the babies come, you know how I love seeing those pictures. do you know how many puppy's Lois is having

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
oh that looks so painful and bothersome. Is there something they can give her that will dull the pain and irritation a bit so that she isn't so inclined to scratch? Perhaps a little bit of a doggie tranquliazer just to lessen her desire so that it can heal?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
OMG! Her poor eye looks awful! Poor Ciara must be miserable!

Have you considered allergy shots for her? She seems to have such extreme allergies, she might be a good candidate.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Stacy, I will contiue to pray for your beautiful Caira. I was
so hoping for good news. When I saw her skin I had such
high hopes, but the I saw her eye, I have to say I was shocked.
She is very lucky she has you to love her and give her the special
care she needs.:wub:

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Stacy Your Caira is so blessed to be living with you... how many could handle the cost and the care required for this very awful condition.. OH how I am agreeing with you that it will end soon.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Just looking at Caira's pictures makes me want to cry. :smcry:I'm so sorry this is still going on. I didn't realize you were still having allergy problems with her. Bless her heart, that has to be terrible for her. She's a lucky girl that she's with you and you're doing everything you can to get her feeling better. I hope this is better for both of you soon. I just want to give her a hug.
:grouphug:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Stacy I am so sorry :( who is the dermatologist? Is it related to www.animaldermatology.com as that is who we go to. I have a soft cone that is really comfy for her if you need it i just bought some new ones from www.yorkiefantasy.com which i really like these alot here is a pic of it and I have used these with dee dee before when she rubbed her eyes like this which was a food allergy so did the eye rubbing start after food change or before?

Miscellaneous Items for small dogs

Simplicef is usually the best for staph type infections - did they do a skin culture and send out to lab? DD had an allergic reaction to simplicef which is very rare and clindamyacin worked great as well for staph and skin infections can take a long time to heal up if they get bad enough. It took two 25 day rounds of clindamyacin to kill it finally but simplicef is the first choice for our dermatologist then off to skin culture at lab which we did for dee dee.

This allergy season is the worst our derm said and being in california it is bad too :( YOu can check www.pollen.com to see how bad your zip code area is.

I feel so bad for you and her as i know how frustrating this stuff is after dealing with it for 6 years now. What are you bathing her in as sometimes those vet shampoos can be very strong and cause reactions such as what you are seeing around her eyes as that happened to dee dee as well so she cannot use the vet shampoos like malaseb and ketachlor for that reason. She does best with duoxo chlorhexedine diluted as it is not as strong and definitely not around face. Are you seeing this reaction after shampooing her if so it is the shampoo.

Tami has my number if you want to talk but again so sorry you are going through this and i will fed ex over the soft ecollar if you need it asap

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
o gosh stacy, i am so very sorry that poor caira is still uncomfortable! i really hope you can get to the bottom of this soon and get her back to her crazy self. :grouphug:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Poor little Caira, please give her gentle hug's from me :( I feel so bad for her I cant even think how painful that must feel to her. Max and Reggie said he well wishes also. Wish it all would be ok and her not to hurt like that.

Lois! ((Hug's)) hehe crosses finger's:wub::wub::wub: I am praying for a safe delivery and healthy babies! I will even come hold you little paw so your not scared Lois :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
So sorry that you and your little one are dealing with this :O(

Have you taken her off all flea/tick products are well as not giving vaccines to see if maybe these could be part of the issue?? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I have never seen anything like this before. How awful for her and you. I'm so sorry. I hope the new round of meds brings relief :wub:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Oh no, poor baby must be miserable! It sucks that she has to wear that cone too. It's moments like these that I wish they could talk so they can tell us how we can comfort them. Is there another type of cone she can wear? I think I've heard of some soft ones that are a bit mroe comfortable and she won't be able to get to her eye though I'm not sure what they're called. I hope she heals soon so that she can rest easy.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
as a sufferer of allergies and really bad eye allergies where i wanna rub n claw my eyes out i symphatize . that has to be soo uncomfortable for her .. have they not found out what she is allergic to ? i hope n will pray for ur baby girl every single day!! i hope she gets better soon n that u finally find the cure .. isnt there anything they can put to numb the eye ? maybe cover it , so she doesnt have to wear the cone .. im so sad for her n u !!!

to ur mama doggie , may she have a safe delivery !!

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
We are sending big, big tight hugs to you and prayers upward for your baby!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts