Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THANK GOD FOR YOU PEOPLE!!! I posted yesterday about my baby boy having his eyes scrubbed by a vet tech, resulting in him keeping his eyes closed for two days then only slightly opening them for the last few days. In my last post I explained how the vet basically pretended nothing happened and I spent the weekend trying to get in to see any other vet available but there were none. Some wonderful people on this site suggested that what may have happened was that my baby's corneas were scratched. I FREAKED OUT and was awake all night. I decided to just show up at the only eye vet in my area when they opened their doors this morning. I was there and THANK GOD the vet, who was not even supposed to be there today, happened to show up when I was knocking on their locked door. Two wonderful vet techs (both retired military vet techs) put my baby through all the tests necessary to check his corneas. Then the doctor came in an examined him. The diagnosis? His corneas are irritated but NOT scratched!! THANK YOU GOD. So they sent me home with 3 different medicines to sooth and protect his eyes. Right now he is sleeping glued to my side, exhausted from all the examination he endured. I now have a new question for you wonderful people: Should I inform the vet whose tech hurt my baby's eyes (considering that he was very hostile) to tell him exactly the result of his tech's actions? My purpose in doing so is to maybe save some other pet parent the agony we just went through. Your opinions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,136 Posts
Definitely! It needs to be made a part of his medical record.

·
Registered
105 Posts
THANK GOD FOR YOU PEOPLE!!! I posted yesterday about my baby boy having his eyes scrubbed by a vet tech, resulting in him keeping his eyes closed for two days then only slightly opening them for the last few days. In my last post I explained how the vet basically pretended nothing happened and I spent the weekend trying to get in to see any other vet available but there were none. Some wonderful people on this site suggested that what may have happened was that my baby's corneas were scratched. I FREAKED OUT and was awake all night. I decided to just show up at the only eye vet in my area when they opened their doors this morning. I was there and THANK GOD the vet, who was not even supposed to be there today, happened to show up when I was knocking on their locked door. Two wonderful vet techs (both retired military vet techs) put my baby through all the tests necessary to check his corneas. Then the doctor came in an examined him. The diagnosis? His corneas are irritated but NOT scratched!! THANK YOU GOD. So they sent me home with 3 different medicines to sooth and protect his eyes. Right now he is sleeping glued to my side, exhausted from all the examination he endured. I now have a new question for you wonderful people: Should I inform the vet whose tech hurt my baby's eyes (considering that he was very hostile) to tell him exactly the result of his tech's actions? My purpose in doing so is to maybe save some other pet parent the agony we just went through. Your opinions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help.
Absolutely let him know about his actions. I am so glad you did not wait and went to the eye vet office where they tended to him and you were able to get meds so he can start to heal. Give him lots of hugs and kisses!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely let him know about his actions. I am so glad you did not wait and went to the eye vet office where they tended to him and you were able to get meds so he can start to heal. Give him lots of hugs and kisses!
Thank you, Lori, I am just SO grateful for people like you on this forum who have helped me through this nightmare. As to hugs and kisses, we call him the Velveteen Rabbit after the children's book character whose fur got thin because he was hugged and kissed so much. Of course our baby isn't getting thinning hair, but he gets affection 24/7 and puts up with it with a smile!

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
I am so glad you were able to get the eye vet to see your dear little dog and get him on the path to recovery! ❤

Instead of just telling the first vet, maybe you could get records from the eye vet that document his findings and treatment, and send a copy to the first vet so he knows what "they" did to your little one and learn not to treat another dog so poorly and dismissively

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am so glad you were able to get the eye vet to see your dear little dog and get him on the path to recovery! ❤

Instead of just telling the first vet, maybe you could get records from the eye vet that document his findings and treatment, and send a copy to the first vet so he knows what "they" did to your little one and learn not to treat another dog so poorly and dismissively
Yes, that is my plan. I am also debating asking for a refund on the vet visit that caused the problem, which cost me $500. Considering that today's visit with the eye vet cost me $300., with a follow up visit next week that will be at least $175., I think it's only fair. Thank you for your input, I truly appreciate every word that the kind people on this forum provide.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi! I am so glad you were able to see the eye doctor and saw you right away with the right diagnosis! Bless you for taking such good care of your baby. I am so glad you have the medication to have those beautiful eyes heal again. Corneal irrational will take some time to heal so you will probably have a few more eye doctor appointments. Eyes are so sensitive esp when that part of the eye gets injured. I am so happy to hear your update! And as far as the other vet that harmed your baby the answer is Absolutely! I would definitely 100% advise them this is not a bad haircut.. this could have went real bad and your dog could have gotten infection and removal of the eye. Don’t feel uncomfortable to say something. They did wrong and need to know to get corrected to avoid any other doggies to endure such pain. Bless you for being a great Mom! Give lots of hugs and kisses to your baby.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi! I am so glad you were able to see the eye doctor and saw you right away with the right diagnosis! Bless you for taking such good care of your baby. I am so glad you have the medication to have those beautiful eyes heal again. Corneal irrational will take some time to heal so you will probably have a few more eye doctor appointments. Eyes are so sensitive esp when that part of the eye gets injured. I am so happy to hear your update! And as far as the other vet that harmed your baby the answer is Absolutely! I would definitely 100% advise them this is not a bad haircut.. this could have went real bad and your dog could have gotten infection and removal of the eye. Don’t feel uncomfortable to say something. They did wrong and need to know to get corrected to avoid any other doggies to endure such pain. Bless you for being a great Mom! Give lots of hugs and kisses to your baby.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I have to say that right now I am so angry with this vet that I think I need to wait a day or 2 to call him. My husband and I knew when he came out of the room where he examined my baby that something was wrong. He was no longer a nice guy, but strangely he was angry and condescending to us. It kind of threw us for a loop. Now I know that he saw the damage to my baby but didn't want to assume any responsibility for it, even though the evidence was perfectly clear that his tech had roughed up my baby's eyes. But in any case, this vet is responsible for what goes on in his clinic. Thank you again and blessings to you!!

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Do you think he was mad because you discontinued the antibiotic he had prescribed? That one did not have an anti-inflammatory in it. I wish I could remember the name of the one my dogs have been prescribed, but fortunately its been a long time. I wonder if he didn't have anything else in stock.

Is he fairly newly licensed as a vet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think he was mad because you discontinued the antibiotic he had prescribed? That one did not have an anti-inflammatory in it. I wish I could remember the name of the one my dogs have been prescribed, but fortunately its been a long time. I wonder if he didn't have anything else in stock.

Is he fairly newly licensed as a vet?
This vet has been in practice for years but he came here from another state. The Eye vet gave me a different ophthalmic antibiotic ointment and my baby is fine with it. The thing is the old vet told us one thing about how to administer it to the eyes and his tech told us an entirely different way. We questioned the tech about the difference and she just rolled her eyes, like the vet doesn't know what he is doing! We think the reason the vet was angry is he realized that he was responsible for what happened and he was trying to cover his butt by pretending that nothing had happened at his clinic. But the Eye vet put it in writing that my baby's eyes were injured, so the original vet can't escape the truth. Thanks for your response!

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
The worst treatments I and my dogs have had were on both ends of the experience spectrum: from an old vet who patronized me and refused to look into what was wrong with my dog, said I should just go home and have a cup of tea, and a couple of newly licensed vets who I think tried to hide the fact that they didn't know enough.

I hope your experiences go better in the future!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The worst treatments I and my dogs have had were on both ends of the experience spectrum: from an old vet who patronized me and refused to look into what was wrong with my dog, said I should just go home and have a cup of tea, and a couple of newly licensed vets who I think tried to hide the fact that they didn't know enough.

I hope your experiences go better in the future!
Thank you, and I hope yours are better in the future as well!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts