Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for you that read my original post about my vet almost killing my Pebbles by doing her intubation incorrectly, you will not believe this (if you didn't, please read and then you'll better understand my anger)!

When Pebbles came home on Monday, she had a purple bandage around her front leg. The vet said it was to stop the bleeding from where her IV had been inserted but that I could remove it in a few hours. Well I waited until last night (just to be sure) before removing it and you'll never believe this! The needle from the IV setup plus whatever you call the plastic part that he fluids enter through, was still in her little leg! I was so pissed. I had to take her to the emergency hospital because it was after hours to have it removed. Needless to say I left a really nasty message for the vet last night. His tech had the nerve to call me back this morning at work with an attitude saying that I didn't have to go to the emergency room and that it was really no big deal. I told her that i spoke with a vet at the hospital before bringing her in and she wanted her in ASAP to remove it since it had been in for 2 days now . She said her concern was that the area would become uncomfortable for Pebbles. The vet at the hospital felt so bad for Pebbles that she didn't even charge me for seeing her and I'm sure you guys know how much after hours emergency care can run. I'm still so mad I could scream!

Everytime I look at my little Pebbles, I could just cry for her. She's been through so much these last few days and as I said in my original post, I have to still get her spayed.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I cannot believe what has happened!!
Was the vet ANYWHERE around while all this was going on? He is either lacking somewhere or he may need to rethink about his staff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by paris@Apr 27 2005, 10:30 AM
I cannot believe what has happened!! 
  Was the vet ANYWHERE around while all this was going on?  He is either lacking somewhere or he may need to rethink about his staff.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57194
[/QUOTE]

At this point, I'm really not sure who was responsible for Pebbles. I can't get the truth out of anyone over there. Considering the level of service she received, I'd say the kids from the daycare nextdoor must have been over to assist him that day.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Poor, poor Pebbles. I am sorry, but, this has LAWSUIT written all over it. I hope things go well for you both.....I just cannot believe this happened. Be sure to call the Vet and speak to him/her personally as office staff "field" all calls and the Vet may NOT be aware that this transpired. I would think that removing the IV would be the Vet Tech's responsibility, and if she did not do her job the Vet should know about it......
hugs to you both.....I would be very interested to hear what JMM has to say about this.....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Your story is very sad and indeed shocking! There was a vet in my town who was like that. His office was near me and I almost went there when I first got my first Maltese, Rosebud back in l990. Luckily, I had a vet who was member of my women's professional group and I called her to recommend a vet (her practice was on the other side of town.) She then told me that all vets in town were fine, except one and he was the one. I later heard things from two vet techs that I knew on a semi-personal basis and they said, "An unusually high amount of dogs die at that place." Then later the guy was arrested for giving his wife (who was on city council) PHP or something like that, unbeknownst to her, in her drink.... Bottom line... the guy was not quite right and yet he practiced until he died, which was about two years ago. He ended up moving a couple doors down from me and I had to see him every day knowing what a horrible vet he was. He totally gave me the creeps.

Anyway, there are good vets and bad ones, and you definitely experienced a very bad one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 27 2005, 10:45 AM
Anyway, there are good vets and bad ones, and you definitely experienced a very bad one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57207
[/QUOTE]

You're so right. I just hate that he may get away with it but I'm going to do my part to get the word out there. The bad thing is that their office came highly recommended and he did the spays on my 3lb yorkie as well as Pebbles' sister, GiGi. it's going to be really hard for me to trust another vet with doing her spay. For routine visits, you're there and you can somewhat control the situation. With this, we are expected to leave them there and wait for a phone call. Don't be surprised if I tell you guys that I stayed in the waiting room this time.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am confused as to how it would have gotten bandaged up without them realizingthat whole set-up was still there?
Did they bandage it with that kind of "go home" bandage when they put it in? Seems to me they would have used "surgical tape" to hold the iv stuff and then replaced it with cotton and the purple bandage to go home...right?
Maybe someone can explain that for me, but to me it seems so unbelievable...maybe they were just so torn up about the poor baby almost dying, that nobody in charge could think straight,
but-good grief!

And how dare the vet tech get attitude with you!!! :eek: Just another thing to add to your list of complaints!

You poor thing! As if the spay problem was not enough for you to deal with!?
Hugs to both of you and some
nips, growls, and kicks to the vet/techs involved!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I am so sorry for your troubles with Pebbles. I hope you are seeking out a new vet! In the mean time, please report these problems to the state board that licenses vets. There might also be a state professional association (kind of like the AMA or the Board of Realtors) for vets. I'd report him there too. And finally, I send off a letter seeking a refund of charges paid

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 27 2005, 11:19 AM
I am confused as to how it would have gotten bandaged up without them realizingthat whole set-up was still there? 
Did they bandage it with that kind of "go home" bandage when they put it in?  Seems to me they would have used "surgical tape" to hold the iv stuff and then replaced it with cotton and the purple bandage to go home...right? 
Maybe someone can explain that for me,  but to me it seems so unbelievable...maybe they were just so torn up about the poor baby almost dying, that nobody in charge could think straight,
  but-good grief!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57219
[/QUOTE]

Okay, here's how it was wrapped which is why I didn't see it. They had it attached to her leg w/clear medical tape (holding it in place). Then over top of that was a dark purple guaze type tape/band (isn't actually sticky but stays in place) around that. It was wrapped around her leg numerous times so i didn't see any indication that something else was under her bandage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 27 2005, 11:52 AM
I am so sorry for your troubles with Pebbles.  I hope you are seeking out a new vet!  In the mean time, please report these problems to the state board that licenses vets.  There might also be a state professional association (kind of like the AMA or the Board of Realtors) for vets.  I'd report him there too.  And finally, I send off a letter seeking a refund of charges paid
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57229
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have done or will be doing all of that. I'm searching for a new vet now, I've contacted the state board and have downloaded their complaint form, contacted the BBB (not sure they can do anything but still wanted it out there) and have done some research on laws regarding vet malpractice.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Poor Pebbles,

I am hoping that you did indeed stop payment on the check and that you file a complaint with the BBB as well as the Vet Association (or whatever they would be called). Another Vet would be able to point you in the right direction for this. Did you ask the emergency vet if they knew of a competent vet who would do the surgery for your little girl.

I know that my Teddy had a problem with his neutering and I was beside myself but like you so happy that I had him in my hands that the whole situation did not sink in until I was home with him. It truly is an emotional time. When I took Teddy in I brought in the onsie so that he would not be able to get to the stitches, the vet told me to call at 2 to see if he was ok...when I did he had not yet gone in....ummmm sitting in a pen all day from 8 to 2 (that alone sent me over the edge), I was worried about him coming home so soon after. Then I called at 4:30 and they said he was done and fine...by 5 oclock when I got there all his stitches were eaten away...he pulled out every single one...I was horrified and asked how he got through the onsie...(they don't put that on yet cause they don't want to get blood on it)
why the heck did I bring it in there. Then I heard him crying so I got up and was asking what was happening....and they said oh no that is not him...he came out shortly there after with them explaining that they had to staple him back up...that was him crying and I know it because they used nothing on him to do it...I started a scene in the Vets office but needed to get poor Teddy home...They had him in one of those darn hat things and actually said "under any cercumstances do not take this off)...well after an hour of my baby being in horrible shape that darn thing was off. I watched him and since the anesthesia had worn off he never even touched the stitches. I did not have a problem with him the whole time he healed...he loved the onsie so every day a new one was put on.

I am just so sorry that your little one still has to go through this....I would certainly explain to the new Vet that this happened and see if he can allay your fears with doing your little one first or while you wait...Good luck and my heart goes out to you both.

S

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom+Apr 27 2005, 12:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 27 2005, 11:19 AM
Did they bandage it with that kind of "go home" bandage when they put it in?  Seems to me they would have used "surgical tape" to hold the iv stuff and then replaced it with cotton and the purple bandage to go home...right? 
Maybe someone can explain that for me,  but to me it seems so unbelievable...maybe they were just so torn up about the poor baby almost dying, that nobody in charge could think straight,
  but-good grief!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57219
Okay, here's how it was wrapped which is why I didn't see it. They had it attached to her leg w/clear medical tape (holding it in place). Then over top of that was a dark purple guaze type tape/band (isn't actually sticky but stays in place) around that. It was wrapped around her leg numerous times so i didn't see any indication that something else was under her bandage.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57230
[/B][/QUOTE]

That is the way I understood it...so it is not like they had it wrapped and "forgot"-someone had to have wrapped the purple gauze around the iv set-up and the clear tape...most probably- after the fact -to get her ready to go home. That is SO crazy that they would 1) forget to take the set-up out and 2) wrap around it without realizing it was there!
They REALLY messed up big time all the way around with poor Pebbles!

Again, big hugs your way!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I am in shock! Thats terrible!!
Are you planning to go in personally and talk to this doctor??? Honestly,... i dont usually have a big mouth but i would probably do so in this situation!

My heart goes out to you and Pebbles! I am glad she didnt get any infections from that just sitting in her paw like that! Keep us updated on this horrible situation!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am a phlebotomist and I can't imagine leaving the needle in someones arm.
There is no difference in people or animals, they are trained in animals so its the same for them as it is for me with people. Please stop payment!! They could have or maybe have damaged his vein. Only speak to the vet at this point and let him know your intentions to file a complaint. He will probably be more than happy to give your money back if he knows this. The techs may not be giving him the "whole" story to save there own butts!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by cocos mommy@Apr 27 2005, 01:42 PM
I am a phlebotomist and I can't imagine leaving the needle in someones arm.
There is no difference in people or animals, they are trained in animals so its the same for them as it is for me with people. Please stop payment!! They could have or maybe have damaged his vein.  Only speak to the vet at this point and let him know your intentions to file a complaint. He will probably be more than happy to give your money back if he knows this. The techs may not be giving him the "whole" story to save there own butts!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57244
[/QUOTE]

I agree. When you call back ask for the vet (by name if you know it). If he's busy (and he probably will be) ask them to have him call you back and leave a number for him to call. When he calls explain first about the needle and how you too your puppy to the ER and how you were treated by the receptionist when you called there about it. Then tell him that you are upset about the whole mess up of the spay and that since the spay was never completed you want your money back. Because he knows you are upset about the needle he might just offer you a refund because he doesn't want a lawsuit on his hands. If he denies the money tell him you are lodging a complaint against him and his office. Then if he still denies you the money tell him you are suing him for malpractice.
Both of the things that happened to Pebbles are unacceptable! And you need to make him see that you know it was unacceptable. Sometimes Dr.s and vets think they can walk all over you because you don't know any better. If you show them that you are smarter than the average Joe then maybe you will get some action.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom+Apr 27 2005, 12:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Apr 27 2005, 11:52 AM
I am so sorry for your troubles with Pebbles.  I hope you are seeking out a new vet!  In the mean time, please report these problems to the state board that licenses vets.  There might also be a state professional association (kind of like the AMA or the Board of Realtors) for vets.  I'd report him there too.  And finally, I send off a letter seeking a refund of charges paid
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57229

Yes, I have done or will be doing all of that. I'm searching for a new vet now, I've contacted the state board and have downloaded their complaint form, contacted the BBB (not sure they can do anything but still wanted it out there) and have done some research on laws regarding vet malpractice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57232
[/B][/QUOTE]
Do a search on here for malpractice. Someone posted an article on here back in March about a vet malpractice.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
There are no words to express what I feel about this situation
I feel so sorry for your poor baby.I cannot believe the vet. and his ppl. are so incompatent and I would not let this issue rest.Smooches & Hugs to poor Pebbles.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Definitely no words. I hate cocky people! ESPECIALLY Cocky doctors.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts