Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my number 2 choice for a breeder (Cheryl Dawn Shoemaker) on Saturday. She has a female that should be having a litter around May 27. She said to call her towards the end of June and she will know by then if she will be selling any as pet quality. She is a really nice lady and I would feel comfortable getting a dog from her. Her pet quality females are $2000 though (that includes puppy shots and spaying).

Here are pictures of one of her dogs, a little boy named Luvie. He is a show quality dog.
Edit: Pictures removed.

Has anyone heard anything about this breeder? Good or bad? She is an AMA breeder. Her kennel is called Babydoll Maltese. I think she is incharge or helping with the National Speciality.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Gosh, he sure is a cutie!

Have you decided definately whether or not you're going to get a puppy? If you're still on the fence and trying to make a practical, level-headed decision, don't even think about looking at any puppies! It will be hopeless to resist them!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 9 2005, 11:45 AM

Have you decided definately whether or not you're going to get a puppy? If you're still on the fence and trying to make a practical, level-headed decision, don't even think about looking at any puppies! It will be hopeless to resist them!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61081
[/QUOTE]
I really want another puppy. The thing that had me thinking was the price. I've thought about it more and I think I've decided to go ahead with it.

After looking at the pictures from both breeders (Bar-Tell Maltese & Babydoll Maltese) I think I like the looks of Babydoll's dogs more. I really, really like the look Luvie's face.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 9 2005, 12:25 PM
I called my number 2 choice for a breeder (Cheryl Dawn Shoemaker) on Saturday.  She has a female that should be having a litter around May 27.  She said to call her towards the end of June and she will know by then if she will be selling any as pet quality.  She is a really nice lady and I would feel comfortable getting a dog from her.  Her pet quality females are $2000 though (that includes puppy shots and spaying).

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61076
[/QUOTE]
Seems to me that her price is extremely reasonable. Most show breeders charge more than that for a female and that is without spaying, etc. Does she have them spayed before going home? Same with shots.... they don't finish shots at 12 weeks... how is all that handled?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Although $2,000 is a lot of money (don't tell your parents!), I think it's a smart decision to get your puppy from a reputable breeder like the ones you have been talking to. Liver shunt surgery is several thousand dollars as is knee surgery if a puppy has luxating patellas. At my vet a few days of hospitalization and treatment runs about a thousand. I know because Lady has been hospitalized three times since I adopted her 5 years ago.

I know that buying from a great breeder is no guarentee. Charmaine's Nibbler is certainly proof of that, but it does lessen your odds of genetic problems greatly. I personally believe that it's a question of pay me now or pay me later and by buying a quality puppy, you can hopefully avoid the heartbreak of loving a dog with a chronic disease.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+May 9 2005, 12:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@May 9 2005, 12:25 PM
I called my number 2 choice for a breeder (Cheryl Dawn Shoemaker) on Saturday.  She has a female that should be having a litter around May 27.  She said to call her towards the end of June and she will know by then if she will be selling any as pet quality.  She is a really nice lady and I would feel comfortable getting a dog from her.  Her pet quality females are $2000 though (that includes puppy shots and spaying).

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61076
Seems to me that her price is extremely reasonable. Most show breeders charge more than that for a female and that is without spaying, etc. Does she have them spayed before going home? Same with shots.... they don't finish shots at 12 weeks... how is all that handled?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61095
[/B][/QUOTE]
Her vet does a lot of work for the shelters in Kansas City. She has all of her puppies spayed and neutured before they go home, which is at 3-4 months. When I said that I thought that you had to wait until 6 months she said her vet is used to working on small animals. He does a some of the spaying and neuturing for the shelters, which required the spaying and neuturing to be done before the adoption.

As for shots I will ask her again but all she said is the puppy shots are included. She did say she lets them go at 3-4 months so I don't know maybe she lets them go closer to 4 months. I will have to ask her again. Its been 2 months since I asked all of the questions. I will ask her the questions again when I talk to her in June.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 9 2005, 12:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@May 9 2005, 11:45 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61081
I really want another puppy. The thing that had me thinking was the price. I've thought about it more and I think I've decided to go ahead with it.

After looking at the pictures from both breeders (Bar-Tell Maltese & Babydoll Maltese) I think I like the looks of Babydoll's dogs more. I really, really like the look Luvie's face.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61084
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think they are both awesome looking puppies! I love the Bar-tel one too! The second photo on that link is just precious and very similar in my opinion to the Babydoll one you like so much.

If it were up to me, I wouldnt have a problem with a puppy from either of those places

and good luck!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Interesting that she neuters and spays them that young. I suppose it's to insure that no one tries to breed them despite a spay/neuter contract.

My neighbor had her male Maltese puppy neutered at 4 months. She wanted it done at 3 months, but couldn't find a vet who would do it that young. Her first male marked because she waited too long to have him neutered so she wanted to make sure she didn't have that problem again.

I was horrified, thinking this was cruelty, bad medicine, etc, but after doing a little research online, discovered that they have actually been studing early neutering and spaying since the early 90's and haven't found any problems with it. I guess it is pretty routine at shelters now, as you say. I know my daughter adopted her Lab mix puppy from the SPCA at 3 months and he had already been neutered. At age 3 he still squats to pee and has never developed any of the objectionable habits like marking, humping, etc.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard about neuturing young but I had never heard of spaying that young. But I guess it makes sense. If the puppy is big enought and strong enough to handle it.

I know my aunt and uncle got a dog from the shelter and were supposed to get it spayed when it was 6 months old. The dog is now around 3 years old and they still have not had it spayed. They aren't planning on breeding or anything but just haven't got around to getting it done.
I had to really bite my tongue when I go over there.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Both are very beautiful dogs...for that reason, I don't think you can go wrong...
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Lexi's Mom do you have the pedigrees from these puppies? I think that could make a big difference.. you need to see the pedigrees.... Are they champion sired or are both parents champions? You can tell a lot by looking at a pedigree..... I would not ever buy one without looking at the pedigree.....

·
Registered
942 Posts
OMG...what a good looking puppy. I would definitely go for it. Chanel is show quality and that was how much I paid for her.

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@May 9 2005, 04:05 PM
Lexi's Mom do you have the pedigrees from these puppies? I think that could make a big difference.. you need to see the pedigrees.... Are they champion sired or are both parents champions? You can tell a lot by looking at a pedigree..... I would not ever buy one without looking at the pedigree.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61149
[/QUOTE]
Is that something that they can email me?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts