Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we saw the vet today and as was suspected, it is luxating patella's. Her right knee is sliding in and out pretty easily and her left leg is a little loose. They didn't do x rays today, because she (the vet) was able to just slide Sophie's leg back and forth and determine what was happening.

The vet said to keep Sophie quiet and don't let her walk around and especially don't let her jump. She sent us home with some pain meds to use as needed. She wants me to bring her in on Wednesday morning and she wants to sedate her and xray both her legs and hips just to be sure it is only her knees that are affected.

She talked a lot about the surgery that is done for it and wants us to have a consult with the ortho doctor when he comes to town in a week or two. She said that if they start having issue's when they are young, if left untreated it can cause more problems down the road with the bone rubbing and making the bone rough.

Poor Sophie shook the whole time we were there. It was just a few months ago that she was spade and had to stay overnight. As soon as we walked in, she knew where we were and she wasn't too happy about it!

I'm so sad. I know it's not the end of the world. I just feel bad for my sweet, sweet baby. I hate to see her in pain.

I am going to read up on LP's and gather any and all knowledge that I possibly can so that we can make informed decisions. Sophie will be a year old on December 1st, so she is still just a baby and she needs to be able to enjoy life!

Thank you all for your prayers! It does make me feel better that a few of you have fluffs with LP's that are being controlled by meds. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Aww Becky I'm so sorry. I hope that meds and reduced activity will help with this flare up. I know that several fluffs have had the surgery successfully.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
poor baby, I think B&B will be seeing the vet next week, she's still limping:huh:. I know how hard it is to see them in pain, Sophie honey awntie sends kisses and prayers to you and your mommy

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awwww sending lots of good thoughts. I truly know how you feel. How is she doing today? Hugs to you and Sophie.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much Susan. It does help to know that others have gone through it. Like my mom always says "it could always be worse." I am thankful that it is something that is manageable.

Aww Becky I'm so sorry. I hope that meds and reduced activity will help with this flare up. I know that several fluffs have had the surgery successfully.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh Paula, I was just going to check for updates on B&B. I'm so sorry that she's still limping. Sophie says thanks for the kisses and prayers and she's sending them back at ya! :smootch::prayer:

poor baby, I think B&B will be seeing the vet next week, she's still limping:huh:. I know how hard it is to see them in pain, Sophie honey awntie sends kisses and prayers to you and your mommy

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Awe-I'm sorry she has LP. She is still young and has a long life ahead of her. I know it will be hard to keep her from running and jumping. Do you have a pen you can put her in? Hopefully you and your vet can decide on the best treatment for Sophie. Thank you for the update. Keep us posted.:wub:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh, dear. Not the news you wanted to hear, but not a surprise, huh?

If it were me, I wouldn't have your regular vet sedate and xray Sophie next week. I'd wait until you see the orthopedic vet the following week. It's been my experience that they repeat all tests anyway.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, I will definitely keep everyone updated. I have 2 different pens that I could use. I have one of those that comes in pieces and they fit together. I wanna say it is about waist high for me. I used it when Sophie was little and I couldn't have my eye on her like while I was cooking, etc. I also have a metal one that we bought for my golden Jake when he had his surgeries. I is really tall though. I am hoping the shorter one will be tall enough as it would be easier to pick her up. My dh is going to get it down in a little bit, so I'll see. She is being very mellow, just laying on my lap being a little snuggle bug! :wub:

Awe-I'm sorry she has LP. She is still young and has a long life ahead of her. I know it will be hard to keep her from running and jumping. Do you have a pen you can put her in? Hopefully you and your vet can decide on the best treatment for Sophie. Thank you for the update. Keep us posted.:wub:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oh Sophie, the snuggle bug I hope you feel better. I am sure mummy will take good care of you, sorry abut the LP. Butterfly kisses from Maxie:Flowers 2:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, not good news but I had a feeling what was going on. Jake my golden did the same thing.

Marj, here is where I am not sure what I should do. I do not have any ortho vets in my town. The ortho vet that we used for Jake was in Fountain Valley about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away. The doctor that did Jake's surgeries is now semi retired. The way it usually works is that my vet sets up a day every month or so and the ortho comes up here to do consults. You have to have your x rays etc there for them to view and then if you decide to go down south , you can. One of the vets in the veterinary practice that I have been using for the last 20+ years trained with Jake's ortho (the one that is semi retired). She sends most of the hip surgeries down south, but does most of the knees here. To be perfectly honest, my heart is in my throat. The thought of going back down to the ortho office in Fountain Valley (where Jake had his surgeries and later was diagnosed with cancer and died) makes me feel sick to my stomach and my heart pound. I just don't know. If Sophie absolutely has to have surgery, I want the best for her. I would fly to the moon and back for her, but she was so nervous at our regular vet today and I was trying to calm her. I know if I go back down there, I will be stressed and emotional and I know she will sense that. Anyone on the list have the LP surgery down in the L.A. area that has a recommendation on a good ortho just in case I need it?

Oh, dear. Not the news you wanted to hear, but not a surprise, huh?

If it were me, I wouldn't have your regular vet sedate and xray Sophie next week. I'd wait until you see the orthopedic vet the following week. It's been my experience that they repeat all tests anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Just have to keep her quiet. Not always an easy feat to accomplish. Ask lots of questions and keep a notes on all the information. It can get confusing.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Becky, I am so sorry to hear about Sophie, and hope there is a good, solid fix for her!! I know your heart must be aching knowing that she might have to go through surgery.

Here is where you can look for an ortho doc. ACVS - Diplomate Directory

Big HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Okay, I just tried searching on the ACVS site and it is real quirky. However, there is a phone number on there that you can call. I'd do that first.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Jules I appreciate it. Hugs to you my friend, you're the best! :hugging:

Becky, I am so sorry to hear about Sophie, and hope there is a good, solid fix for her!! I know your heart must be aching knowing that she might have to go through surgery.

Here is where you can look for an ortho doc. ACVS - Diplomate Directory

Big HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh Becky honey...I can hear in your post how sad you are...I understand your worry. I hope and pray with the meds Sophie's pain gets under control and she starts to feel better. Praying for you too.:grouphug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts