Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took FannyMay's mommy's advice (thank you thank you) and called our vet.... for starters, just the office visit was $70. Then it just kept going. By the time the lady was done tallying everthing up, I was looking at about $180. Well, after I shed a silent tear, I called my Dad to talk to him about it. He then recommended his vet, which the whole rest of my family uses too. (They all live about 35-45 min from me) I called her and asked about the prices, what she would need, etc. This incredible lady spent almost a half an hour on the phone with me and gave me exact cost for what she KNEW Belle would have to get, and then the cost for what she will probably have to get. And, *heres the best part*, the final quote is...........$75!!!! She said that since I live pretty far, and my WHOLE family uses her, and since shes SURE I spent a ton on this puppy to begin with, she gave me a good discount. And to top that off, anytime she goes to the vet, she gets a free grooming session. Not that she'll need groomed very soon, but that was exciting!
So, I just wanted to pass my excitement along to everybody! And thanks for all the replies from my last 'vet cost' post!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just remember, these Maltese do tend to need more than just annual vet visits. Will being that far from your vet be a problem in an emergency?

My sister manages a vet office about an hour away that would have been much cheaper since her vet even gave a discount to family members, but I wanted to have a local vet who would have all Lady's records and know her. As it turns out, she developed so many health problems that it would have been impossible to deal with a long distance vet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LadysMom@Apr 29 2005, 09:11 AM
Just remember, these Maltese do tend to need more than just annual vet visits. Will being that far from your vet be a problem in an emergency?

My sister manages a vet office about an hour away that would have been much cheaper since her vet even gave a discount to family members, but I wanted to have a local vet who would have all Lady's records and know her. As it turns out, she developed so many health problems that it would have been impossible to deal with a long distance vet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57959
[/QUOTE]

Ladys Mom,
I thought a lot about that. And, 30 minutes is worth it for me to drive to see this vet. She is by herself, whereas the vet I was going to take her to locally there are like, 5 or 6 vets in the office, and I would feel better if she saw the same vet each time. As for emergency situations, there is a local clinic that operates solely for emergencies, so I would take her there I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Marj, between 30 minutes and 1 hour driving is nothing in Houston. I am fortunate that my vet is only 5 minutes from my home, but I would not mind driving the extra time to go to a good one. They used to be 20 minutes away but they build a brand new clinic closer to me. Since it's brand new, they also raised their prices

treasures_cherished, my vet clinic also has multiple vets there but I see the same vet each time. When I take my appointment I ask specifically for him. I will see a different one only in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by treasures_cherished+Apr 29 2005, 09:42 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Apr 29 2005, 09:11 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57959
Ladys Mom,
I thought a lot about that. And, 30 minutes is worth it for me to drive to see this vet. She is by herself, whereas the vet I was going to take her to locally there are like, 5 or 6 vets in the office, and I would feel better if she saw the same vet each time. As for emergency situations, there is a local clinic that operates solely for emergencies, so I would take her there I guess.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57982

Then be sure to get a copy of all your puppies records each and every time you go and so you will have them with you if you need to take your puppy to a local vet in an emergency. And do beware that those emergency vets charge and arm and a leg, so any savings from having a vet further away may be eaten up if you have to take her there too often.
[/B][/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts