Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a new thread because I am no longer "thinking" about adopting a 13 yr old, I DID:chili:

Well, I spoke to the rescue yesterday and she assured me she had no idea Whisper had the tumors. She told me she asked her vet to just check her heart and lungs so that is why the tumors were not discovered :blink:. She told me she would have to raise donations for her surgery which made me feel bad because I always try to "make" donations to rescues, not take them. Anyway, went to OUR vet today and she did xrays to make sure no spots showing cancer moved to her lungs, etc. The xrays were clear except for arthritis in Whisper's back for which the Doctor gave me Metacam.
Had there been indication of metasticizing (sp) that would have been the end of that. We then did a blood panel and everyone was surprised to see that ALL her blood levels were normal. Not even borderline anywhere.
In short, Whisper is very healthy soooo, I sceduled surgery for next week. I am going to send the rescue a copy of the $1300 bill which included todays procedures and whatever they can contribute will be wonderful. I don't expect them to pay for it all. Whisper is a delight and I am so in love with her. She was the Belle of the Doctor's office today! The only thing I am not having them do which will save $200 is the Histopathology which will tell us if it is cancer or not. It doesn't matter at this point. I just want to get her taken care of. :wub:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Whisper sure is lucky to have found you! You are her guardian angel!

I can't believe all that rescue does is listen to the heart and lungs. That is very unfair to prospective adopters and the dogs themselves.

I pray it isn't cancer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the rescue was considering her age and wanted to make sure she had no heart and lung issues. I suspect they are also trying to cut down on costs like we all are. I just cannot believe the vet didn't notice them. Given the size, I don't think it was possible to miss. I pray it is not cancer either but I think it may be. I am not asking for the results because if they take it all out and it has not spread anywhere else I see no point in spending another $200. I want to make the money I do have to spend go to where it is needed the most, her surgery and meds. The doc was confident it has not spread and said it is possible it is not cancerous.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Mammory tumours are usually not cancerous. Let 's hope she gets through the surgery so she can live her years out in blosssoming in your family!

I can't wait to see her all better and more piccies in her new life.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Well, the rescue was considering her age and wanted to make sure she had no heart and lung issues. I suspect they are also trying to cut down on costs like we all are. I just cannot believe the vet didn't notice them. Given the size, I don't think it was possible to miss. I pray it is not cancer either but I think it may be. I am not asking for the results because if they take it all out and it has not spread anywhere else I see no point in spending another $200. I want to make the money I do have to spend go to where it is needed the most, her surgery and meds. The doc was confident it has not spread and said it is possible it is not cancerous.
50% of mammary tumors are benign so let's hope Whisper is one of the lucky ones. She is lucky to have found someone who is willing to take care of her medical needs since the rescue did not.

Mammary Tumors (Canine)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I hope all will be well. Gosh, if it were me I would want to know if it was cancer or not. If not, then you can relax more I think! If it is, you can be alert to any signs that it spreads. I would have to know .... but that's me!!

Shame on the original vet. Knowing it was a rescue situation and Whisper was already there .. how much time would it take to look her over real good. Really .. that is pathetic.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That is just simply wonderful that you've taken this girl in! She can live out the rest of her life in a wonderful, loving home and getting the care she needs! You really are her guardian angel. Bless you for it!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope all will be well. Gosh, if it were me I would want to know if it was cancer or not. If not, then you can relax more I think! If it is, you can be alert to any signs that it spreads. I would have to know .... but that's me!!

Shame on the original vet. Knowing it was a rescue situation and Whisper was already there .. how much time would it take to look her over real good. Really .. that is pathetic.
I agree. I would ordinarily like to know but money is in short supply. I am confident it has not spread, since that is what the X rays showed. Rest assured, I will examine her continuously. I will not do anything to neglect her. She is such a happy little girl. I agree about the vet too. How can one miss large tumors? Oh well. She is safe and loved now.:wub:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
You are Whisperers guardian angel...God bless you for taking her. I hope and pray it is not cancer. Now Whisperer can have the home she deserves. congratualtions!:wub:

I decided to start a new thread because I am no longer "thinking" about adopting a 13 yr old, I DID:chili:

Well, I spoke to the rescue yesterday and she assured me she had no idea Whisper had the tumors. She told me she asked her vet to just check her heart and lungs so that is why the tumors were not discovered :blink:. She told me she would have to raise donations for her surgery which made me feel bad because I always try to "make" donations to rescues, not take them. Anyway, went to OUR vet today and she did xrays to make sure no spots showing cancer moved to her lungs, etc. The xrays were clear except for arthritis in Whisper's back for which the Doctor gave me Metacam.
Had there been indication of metasticizing (sp) that would have been the end of that. We then did a blood panel and everyone was surprised to see that ALL her blood levels were normal. Not even borderline anywhere.
In short, Whisper is very healthy soooo, I sceduled surgery for next week. I am going to send the rescue a copy of the $1300 bill which included todays procedures and whatever they can contribute will be wonderful. I don't expect them to pay for it all. Whisper is a delight and I am so in love with her. She was the Belle of the Doctor's office today! The only thing I am not having them do which will save $200 is the Histopathology which will tell us if it is cancer or not. It doesn't matter at this point. I just want to get her taken care of. :wub:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Janis - I too was surprised about the lack of the thoroughness of the rescue's vet. I thought that dogs are supposed to be fully vetted (bad play on words here) so that owners will know what the real responsibilities will be. That's really sad. My neighbor's rescue came with a one month policy where if anything was found wrong within that time by her vet they would cover it, which they did for her surgery. I know of some vets who donate some of their services and times to rescues. She has kept donating to the rescue to help other dogs.
Thanks goodness you are Whisper's mom now. I shudder to think if someone else adopted her. She might have ended up back with the rescue if they couldn't afford her surgery. I hope and pray for success in the surgery and after. Are you saying that they won't biopsy the tumors removed? I just wondered because sometimes if there is cancer the dogs (like my cousin's) are put on chemo in pill form. He's done quite well.
Good luck and keep us posted next week. You are indeed an angel.:hugging:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Janis - I too was surprised about the lack of the thoroughness of the rescue's vet. I thought that dogs are supposed to be fully vetted (bad play on words here) so that owners will know what the real responsibilities will be. That's really sad. My neighbor's rescue came with a one month policy where if anything was found wrong within that time by her vet they would cover it, which they did for her surgery. I know of some vets who donate some of their services and times to rescues. She has kept donating to the rescue to help other dogs.
Thanks goodness you are Whisper's mom now. I shudder to think if someone else adopted her. She might have ended up back with the rescue if they couldn't afford her surgery. I hope and pray for success in the surgery and after. Are you saying that they won't biopsy the tumors removed? I just wondered because sometimes if there is cancer the dogs (like my cousin's) are put on chemo in pill form. He's done quite well.
Good luck and keep us posted next week. You are indeed an angel.:hugging:
All rescues are not created equal, unfortunately. Good rescues take care of all existing health issues for the sake of the dog. It's not fair to pass along something big like tumors/possible cancer to an unsuspecting adopter who may not be able to afford the care a dog needs. Janis is truly Whisper's guardian angel for being willing and financially able to care for her. I pray her tumors are benign.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks you guys. I am more than willing to care for her needs. "able" is another story. It will be a bit of a hardship if the rescue does not /is unable to help with the costs, but we will manage it. Whisper is so sweet, I wish you all could meet her. I should rename her "Shadow" LOL. Her surgery is scheduled for next tuesday so I will keep you all posted. Prayers are always welcome. Love and licks to all.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
god blessu for saving whisper , and im praying thatthe tumor is not cancerous .

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Bless you for adopting Whisper and being her guardian angel!!! I am surprised as well that the rescue did not notice the tumors or did not address them. They should at least offer to help you with the costs of surgery now.

I adopted my Bailey at five months old from a rescue. When I brought him home, I noticed he had an umblical hernia (he's my first dog so I really didn't know what it was but I had it checked by my vet). I called the rescue and mentioned the hernia - he had already been neutered but I guess the vet who did that surgery didn't see a hernia at that time so he didn't fix it. Not sure how that happened. But his foster mom did offer to take Bailey back to her own vet to get the hernia fixed (he charges her waaaay less than the norm bc of her rescue work). Luckily my vet didn't think the surgery needed to be done so I didn't go for the foster mom's offer. Just sharing the story to let you know that rescue definitely SHOULD be offering to help!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You got her!!! :chili::chili::chili: Super excited for you - she sounds so sweet!!! Sorry about the tumor issue though - think it's pretty crummy and don't believe the vet didn't notice it because don't they run their hands over the dogs to at least give a general health check? :angry: I personally think it's pretty irresponsible because they could end up having someone dump a rescue due to unforeseen medical expenses - sure the dog is supposed to go back to the rescue, but how would they know? Just seems like not giving a thorough exam could cause more problems than not. At any rate, I hope they are benign - she sounds like she's in great health otherwise... can't wait to see pictures!!! :wub:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your kind words. I just sent the copy of the estimate to the rescue so we will see what they can come up with. I already told her I will absorb the $300 from yesterday's pre surgery tests. She had already told me they will help and I think (hope) this will be a good lesson for them in the future, not to skimp on the vet checks! You know, it is entirely possible that they may have put her down due to her age instead of opting for surgery. I am not sure how most rescues view this type of situation as it relates to age. I am just happy we have her now. She threw up last night - her whole dinner - and was trembling like she was cold. This was at 3:00 am. I cleaned her up and tucked her back into bed with me and she went back to sleep. I think I let her overeat and it was later than I usually feed them. This morning she got up, chased me down the hall (very stiffly):HistericalSmiley:, wanted her treat, breakfast and kisses. She played with me after potty time. She is the sweetest thing. You know, she even jumps on top of things that are placed low like the foot stool and a carrier I keep in the living room. She has a lot of energy for an old gal.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Janis, I wish there were more like you, you have a heart of gold, it's not easy with our older babies, I pray whisper lives a long life I know she now has all the love she will ever need.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts