Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK...with all of these questions/problems I'm sure you experienced Malt owners are doing the eye roll right now for those anxious, first-time moms...BUT, I have another question/concern.

Leila was on her back while I was combing her tummy today and I noticed that one of her eyes didn't look quite right. It took me a few times glancing back and forth to realize that one of her upper eyelids seemed to have a bump on it. It doesn't really look like a stye to me (I thought those were more ON the eyelid..?). It is only one eye. The eye itself doesn't seem irritated or red (the white of the eye is still white) and it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain. I just want to know what this is.

I called the vet and they said if it doesn't seem to be bothering her, the eye itself isn't red or swollen shut, and there's no sort of 'oozing', that I could hold off and see if it goes down on its own. They suggested cold compresses and thought maybe it could be some sort of bite.

We went on a really long walk today and I have no idea if it could be some sort of irritation from something going into her eye, a bite, some sort of allergy..? I have no idea. In fact, I'm not even positive that today is the first day it's there :unsure:. When her hair is dry it's so fluffy that I probably wouldn't have even noticed it, but wetted down it's really obvious.

Here are some pictures. I feel like it looks a little worse in them because it's super close up and I just washed her face so all of her hair is out of the way. Excuse her wet/messy look.

ANY THOUGHTS?? Should I be freaking out or letting it go and maybe it will resolve itself on it's own? I really try not to rush to the vet over any little thing, especially if they're going to tell me it's a stye and to put a compress on it (there's a $90 exam fee right there...).

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi Ashley. What a babydoll :wub:. I am by no means any kind of an expert but I was wondering, could she have gotten bitten by a flea or an ant or something?

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
It does look like it could be a bite. What are you washing your little beauty's face with? I remember when Darla and Fallon were puppies, they both had skin irritations from coat handler and John Paul something or other.

Maybe call the vet again in the morning. Good luck, sweetie.
xoxoxoox

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah, if it's not bothering her I'd wait and see what it looks like tomorrow.

And in the meantime, I'd be looking for another good vet. $90 exam fee? Holy cow!! I'm in So Cal and my vet is what I consider the tops and state of the art, and they only charge $45 for an exam fee.

I really hope it's just a little bite, and the swelling will go down in a day or two. But, I am no expert!!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Ashley, from the photos it does look like she has a considerable-sized bump on her upper eyelid. She may have gotten bit by something, or it could be some sort of irritant. I would probably take her into the vet, as it looks pretty red to me (and pretty large).

If you think you want to wait to take her in, perhaps you can call the vet and ask the proper dosage of Benedryl to give her to see if the swelling goes down. If it's not a bite, I don't think the bump would get any smaller with Benedryl so that may help you determine what it is.

Extra hugs & kisses to Leila -- keep us updated!

·
Registered
568 Posts
First thing, the bump in her eye looks similar to what my son had when he was very young. He was seen by an opthamologist and it turned out to be a clogged oil gland. Pretty common in humans (not sure about dogs). It went away within a week by warm (not cold) compresses twice per day for 20 minutes each. If this is the case with Leila I would imagine it would be nearly impossible to hold a compress for that long, unless maybe while she napped in your lap? :unsure:

Second thing, I can't believe your vet charges $90 or even anything. Romo was just seen the other day and I will say I was very surprised I was not charged a single penny. He had to go in b/c his stitches came out from his neuter. The vet took about 40minutes with us. She took his temp, examined his incision area and on top of that I asked her a million questions about food, home cooking, supplements and behavior (adding a sister). Plus I brought Suri along with us and I asked her to be weighed (wasn't even her appointment). I thought for sure I should have been charged something for all the time I took up, I had my wallet in hand and ready to pay but they told me there was no charge!:chili:

I do know that our animal emergency charges $90 just for walking in the door then additional for the actual treatment.

I hope it's nothing serious, let us know what happens. I'll be thinking about her.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ashley. What a babydoll :wub:. I am by no means any kind of an expert but I was wondering, could she have gotten bitten by a flea or an ant or something?
Anything is possible. Like I said, we were outside walking for over an hour yesterday on pavement, grass, and sand, so it wouldn't be a far climb for something to hop up onto her eye...I hope it's that simple. Then it should just go away on its own.

It does look like it could be a bite. What are you washing your little beauty's face with? I remember when Darla and Fallon were puppies, they both had skin irritations from coat handler and John Paul something or other.

Maybe call the vet again in the morning. Good luck, sweetie.
xoxoxoox
I use Spa Lavish and have for about the past month. She hasn't seemed to have any irritation before now so I'm hesitant to say it's that. Especially since it's only one eye and a very distinct bump.

Yeah, if it's not bothering her I'd wait and see what it looks like tomorrow.

And in the meantime, I'd be looking for another good vet. $90 exam fee? Holy cow!! I'm in So Cal and my vet is what I consider the tops and state of the art, and they only charge $45 for an exam fee.

I really hope it's just a little bite, and the swelling will go down in a day or two. But, I am no expert!!

HUGz! Jules
As for pricing, I'm totally aware that it's completely outrageous. But, if anyone knows anything about Newport, RI (where I live), you know that it is a place known for it's huge mansions where the richest historical families (Astors, Vanderbilts, and numerous celebrities) come to 'summer'. Newport itself is on an island, separate from mainland RI, which has only three towns on it. I go to a different town, because Newport apparently has horrible vets, but the fees are very expensive. A well puppy check was $60 and a stool sample check was $35 the first day we went in. I was only estimating but I know sick calls are normally quite a lot more expensive. It's really a bummer, but most doctors/dentists, etc. in this area, come here because they want to live in a vacation location and be semi-retired, but still rake in the dough. I'm definitely not too pleased with this vet, but the options are severely limited and traveling off the island to find another would require at least $10 in tolls per trip and a 45min+ drive.

After graduation, in about a month, I will be moving up to Vermont, where my parents live, for the summer before grad school. The vet there is really sweet, the experience is more personal, and the prices are MUCH more reasonable. I'm waiting until we get there to do Leila's spay for that reason.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This morning, if it's not my imagination, the bump seems much less swollen. When I showed my boyfriend the pictures last night he said they looked much worse than she does. I was worried the bump would show up in pictures at all and had even gone on google images to try to find something similar. Anyway, unless she shows any signs of discomfort, I'm going to keep an eye on it today and maybe do some compresses and see what happens. Thanks for everyone's advice :)

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I'm glad Leila is doing better today.

My Brussels Griffon gets those periodically. I'm not sure if it's a bite or clogged gland but it usually goes away on it's own with in a week. It never seems to bother him in fact I'm not even sure he knows when they show up. Just keep doing what your doing and keep an eye on it for any changes.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter had one of these a few weeks ago and it went away after 2 weeks on its own. We didn't do anything to it, just kept his face clean and watched it and it went away. It looked just like your pictures.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
I must be the only one who didn't think $90 was so crazy. Last time I paid for a regular office visit in Northern VA it was $70. That's just a regular, routine visit.
I was thinking the same thing. Times 3. LOL
xoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an Update: whatever this thing was, it went away on its own. I didn't even have to do a compress or anything (I mean, she gets a face bath with a warm washcloth daily but that's about it). I guess now I know if this happens again...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I wasn't too quick to run to the vet...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts