Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who feel Flossies don't last long enough...

For those who want something they feel safe to leave their babies alone with...

Jett and Callie give this new chew a HUGE TWO PAWS UP!!!

Introducing Corporal Caps by Merrick. This is a meaty knee cap bone that is a NO-STAIN treat! Perfect for the smaller fluffs. :wub:

Jett and Callie tried this at the store yesterday and chewed on it for 3 hours straight! They were panting when I finally took it away from them. lol There little faces were so wet, but they were soooo happy. And they were EXHAUSTED for the rest of the evening. :thumbsup:

On the plus side, after working on it for 3 hours straight, they have not even made a dent in it. Also, even though their faces were wet, there was no staining. I wiped the Caps off with a white paper towel and they again left no stain.

On the con side...I will ALWAYS be honest about my products...there are some black flakes that come off with the first couple of uses. My fluffs clean those up off the carpet themselves. But I do want to let you know about the black flakes. There is a slight odor but it is more like beef jerky or ribs. Not unpleasant at all.

Here are Callie and Jett enjoying their Corporal Caps again this evening at the store.

Pampered Pet Boutique LLC - Merrick Corporal Caps

(I've done my best to research to ensure this is indeed safe for our precious fluffs. But if anyone is aware of any reason they may not be considered safe, please let me know. I'll take them off my shelf. Thanks!)

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I jumped right into this, I thought this was something WE could eat...LOL

(i've just been told I have to lose weight to lower cholesterol so my mind is on any good treats I can eat)

I'll think I skip the kneecaps but the pups sure do look like they enjoy them. Great that there's no stains.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Those are very intriguing...they look delicious for the dogs.

How would you rate the smell of the Corporal Caps to the smell of Flossies/Bully Sticks? I love the shape of those, and may need to order a couple! I have been wanting to order the PurePaws line for a while now also...and...and...and...lol!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Sophie would LOVE these!!!

I bought her another brand at Petsmart one time and she went crazy over it, but I decided I didn't have confidence in the brand and took it away much to her dismay. Plus it left her face a mess - a big mess!

I'll have to see if the feed store has these - the carry Merrick products.

Thanks!

Linda

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
what is it exactly ? a knee cap lol its meat bone , what is it , she sure looks like shes enjying it , i need to get dolce something to chew on...

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
normally we would be ordering those right away but since his extractions Hunter has lost all interest in everything that lasts a long time - no more bull sticks, no more antlers, nothing.......we have thrown out so many good treats its makes me sad to think he's missing out on so many yummy things!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Crystal, the babies look wonderful and must get me some of those. I know Mia and Leo would love them. Thanks so much for letting us know.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Definately need some Corporal caps here... sounds like excellent treat for my chewmeister Wedge. He goes through flossies in minutes. I'd like to see how Izzy does with one too. If Callie can handle it I'm guessing Izzy can too.

You may want to order another box of those - I think the orders are gonna come rolling in now....

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are very intriguing...they look delicious for the dogs.

How would you rate the smell of the Corporal Caps to the smell of Flossies/Bully Sticks? I love the shape of those, and may need to order a couple! I have been wanting to order the PurePaws line for a while now also...and...and...and...lol!
It has a stronger smell to it then the actual Merrick Flossie, which has no smell. But it actually smells good. Some Flossies really stink. And every once in awhile I will get a Merrick Flossie in that stinks. I can't say these stink at all. They smell like....ribs...or jerky. But it's a very faint smell.

what is it exactly ? a knee cap lol its meat bone , what is it , she sure looks like shes enjying it , i need to get dolce something to chew on...
Yup...it's a knee cap with some meaty marrow to it.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definately need some Corporal caps here... sounds like excellent treat for my chewmeister Wedge. He goes through flossies in minutes. I'd like to see how Izzy does with one too. If Callie can handle it I'm guessing Izzy can too.

You may want to order another box of those - I think the orders are gonna come rolling in now....
lol..at this point Callie is still a bit smaller then Ms. Izzy. And she actually has picked it up to move it a few times! I do wonder how Ms. Izzy will do with it more because of her teeth then her size. You may want to try the Sergeant Saddle for Wedge.

Forgot to mention. Miss Callie's hair is growing in nicely although I can't really see her face she's looking very good.

Thank you! Her body hair is growing really fast! And I'm thrilled to see how straight it is!! Even when it gets wet! The hair on her head is in a really awkward funky mohawk stage! She really looks silly right now.:blush:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How long will a cap last and how do you store it? Is it a one use only? I have not tried these kind of treats.
I have no idea how long it will last. I just got them in the other day and they've chewed on them for 2 days now. I'm guessing once they get all the flavor off, they may no longer think they are the 'cat's meow'. :HistericalSmiley: I'm cracking myself up. :innocent: But at this rate...I'm guessing a couple of weeks?

I just set them up on a counter when I wanted to take them away. No need for any type of special storage.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Thank you! Her body hair is growing really fast! And I'm thrilled to see how straight it is!! Even when it gets wet! The hair on her head is in a really awkward funky mohawk stage! She really looks silly right now.:blush:
Crystal, I don't think that the hair on her head looks awkward or funky at all, at least from the photo. I think she looks great. :wub:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crystal, I don't think that the hair on her head looks awkward or funky at all, at least from the photo. I think she looks great. :wub:
lol...that's because you aren't seeing her from a full straight on view! I'll try to get a pic of it and post it at this stage. It really does make her look silly and I want to remember this stage of growing her top knot out. :wub:

·
Registered
574 Posts
For those who feel Flossies don't last long enough...

For those who want something they feel safe to leave their babies alone with...

Jett and Callie give this new chew a HUGE TWO PAWS UP!!!

Introducing Corporal Caps by Merrick. This is a meaty knee cap bone that is a NO-STAIN treat! Perfect for the smaller fluffs. :wub:

Jett and Callie tried this at the store yesterday and chewed on it for 3 hours straight! They were panting when I finally took it away from them. lol There little faces were so wet, but they were soooo happy. And they were EXHAUSTED for the rest of the evening. :thumbsup:

On the plus side, after working on it for 3 hours straight, they have not even made a dent in it. Also, even though their faces were wet, there was no staining. I wiped the Caps off with a white paper towel and they again left no stain.

On the con side...I will ALWAYS be honest about my products...there are some black flakes that come off with the first couple of uses. My fluffs clean those up off the carpet themselves. But I do want to let you know about the black flakes. There is a slight odor but it is more like beef jerky or ribs. Not unpleasant at all.

Here are Callie and Jett enjoying their Corporal Caps again this evening at the store.

Pampered Pet Boutique LLC - Merrick Corporal Caps

(I've done my best to research to ensure this is indeed safe for our precious fluffs. But if anyone is aware of any reason they may not be considered safe, please let me know. I'll take them off my shelf. Thanks!)
Crystal.. these look like the smoked bones you can get at dog shows.. We had a schnauzer come in that was impacted and almost died from ingesting a bone just like this. My Labrador ate an entire one, in an hour (I wasn't watching him as I had NO idea that he'd do that)... and I've seen dogs get pancreatitis from this sort of product. (however, not sure how those bones are cured...)

So, my belief is, the only safe "bone" is a raw bone...and even those can cause pancreatitis, if the dog isn't used to eating from it.

I dunno.. I know I wouldn't give them. I see too much at the clinic!!!

ps.. Callie looks adorable in her pink dress and bow ;)))

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
So, my belief is, the only safe "bone" is a raw bone...and even those can cause pancreatitis, if the dog isn't used to eating from it.

I dunno.. I know I wouldn't give them. I see too much at the clinic!!!
What do your dogs chew on?

The vet gave me strict intructions to have them chew on stuff but I can't do raw bones with my havanese because he is prone to pancreatitis. I have been using flossies and antlers. The dogs like the antlers but they don't get as much action as the flossies do.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll put a call into Merrick on Monday to see exactly how they process their treat bones. I know there are no chemicals or artificial preservatives. And of course a vet tech at my vets office told me no raw bones for fear of bacterial infection...which I don't agree with. lol Sooooo many thoughts out there. It's so hard to know what's right.:huh:

Karla, what size bone did your Lab have? I don't recommend, nor does Merrick, the Corporal Caps for big dogs. They are for the little ones so there is no possible way for them to even bite off a hunk of the bone to swallow. If you see the size of that Cap in comparison to their wittle mouths, I don't see how they ever could actually eat it and swallow it. But I'm not in a vet clinic to see all the scenarios so that's why I'm asking. That's why I felt they were safer then the Flossies because when they get down to a small enough piece, I tell people to take them away due to the risk of choking. That's why I never give mine a Flossie when I'm not there to supervise. For the big dogs, there is the Sergeant Saddle Bone and even one that has the word Tank in it for the GIANT dogs. I didn't bring those in yet. Jett is my one with a sensitive tummy. He can't chew on a Flossie for more then 20 minutes without getting diarrhea. Both he and Callie chewed on them for more then 3 hours one day and more then an hour the next with no tummy upset at all. So that's why I again felt they were safer against the risk of Pancreatitis. Hmmmm....now what. lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts