Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because my husband and I don't shop and we have totally procrastinated on getting dining room chairs we have been using a pair of old office chairs as dining chairs and I'm finally sick of them.

While he was out of town on business, I tore one of them apart and stripped and finished the wood and ripped the upholstery off the backs and seats. Now I have to put new upholstery on and I've gotten a couple of books from the library. Most of what is in there is Greek......the terms don't make sense unless you know upholstery.

Has anyone here done it themselves? Any tips, hints, suggestions? Other than getting it done professionally......I can't afford that.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 7 2005, 11:05 AM
I don't know anything about this, only what I have seen on tv, but what do your chairs look like?  Maybe if you post a pic of your chairs that could help us to help you. 

I know my mom did her chairs several years ago and she said it took less than two hours to do 6 chairs, but then again, she was only doing the seat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40759
[/QUOTE]

yes, I did the seats on our chairs and it was SIMPLE putting the material on. I agree, I'd like to see pics!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've done it also. Make sure you have a heavy duty stapler. And yes, would love to see pictures so we can make suggestions. I have done work for my husbands company were I had to put upholestry on cases. I had to use spray glue and staplers so I got pretty good about holding the fabric tight. Make sure you have some batting so the chair will be softer to sit on.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it's time to stop procrastinating and set up on a web site so I can post pictures........

Fortunately I do have an electric staple gun as well as a compressed air staple gun. Give me a few days to set everything up to post a picture and then I'll tap into your experience.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My former husband's family owned a large furniture factory, so I have seen a lot of chairs in process! I have upholstered a couple benches myself. It is very easy... the staple gun is the most important thing and the good part is that no one will see the underneath part, so that takes some pressure off to do a perfect job.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I've seen it done on Trading Spaces!!!

I know you need some foam stuff, a staple gun, some spray stuff to make it stick...and some material...ha ha...I know I probably wouldn't be able to make corners and stuff look right...but they make it look SO easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts