Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that my neighbor (across sreet, 1/2 foot ball field from me) has 2 boxer bulldogs that he allows to run free. Since we live in the county, there is no ruling on this.

Yesterday, I was walking Puddles in MY front yard. These 2 boxers saw us and started running across their yard, across the road to my house barking. I knew we were in trouble. Puddles started running for me and I towards him. Before I knew it Puddles was in my arms, licking my face.
His little heart was flying. I then ran hard for my front door, with the 2 dogs in tow. In my mine, I could see my little baby being tossed in the air and his soft fur being every where. I was never once worried about me, only him!!

Once in the house, my husband asked what was wrong. After explaining all this to him, I looked and could not find Puddles. Bless his heart, he was in his crate. I called the Sheriff's office regarding this and was informed their was nothing that could be done. Only if they had attacked me, well what about my puppy I thought and said well thank you for your time!

I decided to take this in my own hands and called the owner, which is a grandson of my neighbor. I told him what had just happend and all he could say was OH and only OH, no sorry, nothing. I then told him that hubby said "let this happen again and they will be dead boxers" and hung up the phone. He called his dogs home and they sat on their front pouch watching my house.

I have never been this mad at any one before. Guess I want to protect Puddles as if he is my child, since I don't have any children. I don't want any problems with the neighbors, since we all have lived here for 27 years.

Now, I am afraid to take Puddles to potty and I am sure he will be sacred also. And I am also scared to tell hubby if they do it again, he will shoot them. :wacko:

Just wanted to shair this with you, please watch out for your little furballs. No way would they have a chance against big dogs.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
WOW, seems like there would be some kind of ordinance, its a shame a person or other animal has to actually be attacked before anything would be done
i would keep him on a short leash for a few days to see how he does in the yard but you might also consider carrying some mace with you, i would hope the law at least allows you to protect yourself and property, but these days who knows, keep us informed

J

·
0 Posts
So sorry to hear about the two dogs. I too live in a place that has no laws against dogs running free. We have dogs show up in our yard all the time. The other day I saw a black lab with a maltese running free! At first I thought it was my little one. I just couldn't believe that someone would allow their maltese to run free. I live in a setting were there are lots of hawks and would never leave my baby outside by herself. On the other hand I have been trying to find out who owns the maltese, she was beautiful! But all I could think was she was going into the woods and she would be dirty and she looked to be such good friends with the black lab.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would definitely carry Mace with me at all times, and if those dogs even offered to attack my dog, on MY property, I would let 'em have it!

I really wouldn't want to harm a dog,
but if your neighbors have been told the situation and neglect to restrain their dogs or put up an electric fence to keep them from attacking another animal or person...then.....it's open season.

The way I look at it "MY property....your dog on MY property...MY DOG" :ph34r: ta da !

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
It torks me off when people let aggresive dogs run loss. They are just asking for something to happen. It is ridiculous that a dog has to attack you before the police will do anything. Isn't it the laws "job" to keep bad things from happening? <_< I just don't get it. It just sucks that you have to be afraid to go out in your own yard.

I agree with everyone on the mace. If the dogs come near you let them have it. You warned the owner and tried to get the police to do something. You are just protecting your self on your own property.

Can you have dogs arrested for trespassing? :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this would suck for puddles, but i was looking at the Pet-Agree website and they have this thing called a Dazer or something. it emits a really loud and hurting sound to keep dogs away. but....it would hurt puddles. theres also citronella sprays---but the dog would have to get close. its really messed up. i cant imagine living somewhere without a fence. it sucks that puddles cant really run around free.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wow puddles mom that would have pissed me off to no end
the other day i went to this park nearby that i havent gone to yet i heard it was a dog run but when i got there it really wasn't gated so i ran around with maxi but i didnt let him run without the leash there was this big dog that kept following us and wouldnt leave maxi alone and he scared maxi where as maxi really doesnt get scared
the owner was walking around on her cell phone so needless to say i dont go for that especially if my baby is afraid, i said to the women excuse me but put your dog on a leash and watch him he is following us around and scarying my dog
she got the message!
yuo have no idea the protectiveness i have over maxi and if i think someone or something will harm him i will really lose it
i can imagine now how uncomfortable you feel and rather than it happen again you need to tell this guy that before something does happen he needs to either leash them if he isnt outside to supervise or come to an agreement
good luck!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
<_< Ugh, people who can't keep their dogs contained don't deserve to own dogs. It's just so dangerous, not to mention disrespectful, for them to let their dogs just roam about free. I'm terrified of big dogs and that would have absolutely freaked me out... Some people just suck.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a few weeks as we are considering a Maltese. I just had to respond to this thread. A few years ago my Bichon (now 9 yrs old) and I were walking in our neighborhood. She was on leash, as always. About half a mile from our house a huge husky/shepherd mix that had gotten out of his yard charged us. He grabbed my bichon by her tail and started shaking her. I started screaming and he released her. Then he grabbed her by her neck and when he did that his bite released the collar and she started running. All of this happened in a matter of seconds. A wonderful lady saw what was happening and followed the two dogs down the street honking her horn. I was huffing and puffing behind and thinking that my poor dog was dead for sure! She ran straight for home (even tho she had never been outside without being leashed) and my daughter saw her coming down the street with the lady honking the horn and started screaming for my other daughter to let her in. Just as my dog started up the steps the husky caught up with her and threw her back on the ground. My daughter charged out and grabbed my dog. We called animal control and my neighbor followed the dog until they could come. Meanwhile I rushed my baby to the vet where she had emergency surgery on a severed achilles. Once I found out that the dog had attacked 3 other animals in the neighborhood I demanded that the dog be put down or I would sue the family. They complied and eventually had to reimburse me for the $500 surgery (only after my attorney sent them a letter). This was the most violent thing that has every happened to me. I can't even walk by myself anymore and my wonderful, happy go lucky bichon is VERY wary of big dogs. The moral is to do as much as you can to safeguard your dog now. I would never want anyone to go through what my dog and I went through. I would say that mace or pepper spray would be a good thing to try. At the very least have a big stick with you!

·
Registered
994 Posts
oh my god what a horrible story you must have been traumatized . If anything ever happened like that to Maxi i don't know what i would do thats why i kept picking maxi up when that big dog kept bothering us and i told the women get your dog away from us she knew i meant business i mean she was walking around on her cell phone while her dog is running all over the place

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
MsMagnolia, your story had my heart pounding......I was right there with you, imagining it was Pico being attacked. Good for you for going after the owners. Too many people think freedom means it's ok for their dog to do anything it wants. We don't have a loose dog problem in my neighborhood, thank goodness.

What we do have is all-night-barking problem. It amazes me that owners don't seem to hear or be bothered by their dogs barking (big, deep barking on one side, beagle howl-bark in two other yards). It's horrible being awakened from a nice sleep by that and having it go on and on. We even started calling the police on the deep barker. We did it regularly, always after 10 p.m., for several weeks. Can you believe that it continues? I must think the man is a moron if he still doesn't get it. I mean, we waited and saw the police go to his door (dog barking loudly at the back gate) and then the barking stopped. Next night, same scenario. For several weeks this went on. We had to give up. He was the bigger jerk.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i would sneak onto the property and get those bark control things so that when the dog barks, a high-pitch annoying, hurtful sound that only dogs can hear gets emitted. :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Msmagnolia your story gave me cold chills. That could have happen to Puddles and I. I am very sorry and glad things worked out for you both.

Tonight I was walking Puddles in the back yard (on a very short leash like ya'll suggested). He could not hardly do his business with out looking around. Wonder how long he will remember what happen? One thing I did notice was that hubby was standing on the front walk way with something on his hip....
I have never had this problem before, feel like the Hatfields and McCoys. :D

We are going to look for me some mace this week end. My only problem with that is, they will have to be closer than I want. What if they are faster than me??

With all these stories we have heard regarding big dogs, please watch out for our little babies !! I would be heart broken for someone to have to share a sad and heart broken story with us..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Puddles Mom (cute name btw!) please be extra careful and do continue to let those people know that letting their dog run free like that is harrassment!

I just got into an argument with a pit owner over this same thing! I don't know what people with large dogs are thinking when they let their dogs run around with no leash! It is just COMMON SENSE! This lady tried to argue me up and down saying "Pits are not agressive, it is just media hype" and, "Why should we have to keep our dogs on a leash when they haven't done anything." TO KEEP THEM FROM DOING ANYTHING YOU MORON! Gosh, it just really ticks me off!

The lady next door lets her chocolate lab run out to use the potty in the front lawn WITHOUT a leash! Yes, Brit DOES play with the lab, but another small dog (a Pom named Kosmo) is scared s***less of it and will run screaming to his house. Sure its funny the first couple of times but it gets tiresome listening to this d*** woman scream "Chocolate get Back in the house NOW!" Okkkkay why did you let him out in the first place? And the dog is so big and gangly he just runs all in the street in FRONT of cars and chases kids and other dogs. He may not be an agressive Pit but not everyone is okay with big dogs chasing them, ya know?

People should just learn to realize that having a big dog means more responsiblity! I mean we all have 3, 4, 5-11 pound babies and WE are the one keeping them on leashes and harnesses! It seems kinda backwards to me...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Brit'sMom@Sep 10 2004, 12:31 AM
I mean we all have 3, 4, 5-11 pound babies and WE are the one keeping them on leashes and harnesses!  It seems kinda backwards to me...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8815
[/QUOTE]

<_< You totally hit that one on the head.. I've seen huge dogs unleased running around here all the time.. But I have NEVER seen a little dog unleashed... I think we care a lot more about our dog's safety than they do.. It seems they could care less about their dog getting run over by a car or just running away. Stupid people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts