Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in South Carolina with my Father for the neext week, he lives on a coastal island below Charleston SC. I have brought Ty with me. I thought I prepared him well for the trip. The week before we came I treated him with Frontline for fleas. He's alson on heart guard.

We've been here less than 48 hours and this morning while brushing him I found several fleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What should I do??? I can't treat him with flea shampoo now can I???? Since he's been treated with Frontline will the fleas die when they bite him?

This morning his eyes are also all goey and glue shut. He's never had tear stains and this is more puss type than anything. There is not a VET on the Island, I cannot reach my Vet on the phone and the nearest Vet is 80 miles away.

Any suggestions for what to do for the fleas and the eyes would be greatly appreciated.

Ginny and Ty

·
Registered
25 Posts
My understanding is, you may see fleas, but, they will bite and die. Also, adding any other chemicals at this point would do more harm than good, and, Frontline can only be applied every thirty days, no less.

I would keep him indoors as much as possible, and, keep combing him and killing fleas by drowning in soapy water.

Try the natural remedies if you can get any (like Avon Skin So Soft bath oil). Add crushed garlic to his food.

The eye could be anything, not flea related. Just clean the area with a clean, dampened cloth. If there's a scratch and you medicate with anything over-the-counter, you could injure the eye, so, just keep it clean, I think.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Ancient 'Teeser@Sep 3 2005, 09:58 AM
My understanding is, you may see fleas, but, they will bite and die.  Also, adding any other chemicals at this point would do more harm than good, and, Frontline can only be applied every thirty days, no less.

I would keep him indoors as much as possible, and, keep combing him and killing fleas by drowning in soapy water.

Try the natural remedies if you can get any (like Avon Skin So Soft bath oil).  Add crushed garlic to his food.

The eye could be anything, not flea related.  Just clean the area with a clean, dampened cloth.  If there's a scratch and you medicate with anything over-the-counter, you could injure the eye, so, just keep it clean, I think.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96653
[/QUOTE]

I would be very careful with garlic. We had a post on here recently about it not being good for dogs:

Thread - Onion and Garlic

I agree that he should stay inside. I would not let him outside at all due to fleas and whatever is bothering his eyes.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I often use cold tea to bathe the eyes if they are sore or itchy, it is even good for soothing eye infections. This is an old remedy my mother passed on to me many years ago and I have used it on both humans and pets with some success.
All you need to do is make up a teabag in a cup and let it stand till cool then use a fresh cotton ball for each wipe and each eye so that you don't cross contaminate both eyes.

I think this may be a good solution until you can take him to the vet if need be. You can bathe his eyes two or three times a day with this.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This actually just happened to Miko except that I used Frontline a few weeks prior to noticing one or two fleas. I noticed more **** around his eyes and the skin around the eyes was more pink than usual plus he had a small sore on a leg. I took him to a vet and apparently the sore, eye problems was all due to few fleas. Apparently they can still bite him even though he was on frontline. The vet told me to apply frontline again (even though its been much less than 4 weeks) and he is on antibiotics and combination of antihistamine and steroid for allergies to fleas!! I don't know what to tell you but maybe you can use advantage (that stuff is safe to use almost every week).

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use liquid Downey to repel the fleas. So far so good!

I also know that a good bath with liquid dish soap, such as Dawn will kill fleas. It is much milder than the flea shampoos.

I thought we had determined that small amounts of garlic were not bad. Many foods and supplements have garlic in them.

My fleas in my area are immune to Frontline....it did no good for me. I had to change to Advantage. That might be your problem too...although if you can't get hold of more meds, it won't help you right now.

I don't know about the eye problem. I would just try to keep it clean and dry.
If you continue to worry about it, the drive to the vet might be worth it.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Sep 3 2005, 10:53 AM
I thought we had determined that small amounts of garlic were not bad. Many foods and supplements have garlic in them.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96667
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I believe we did.... just thought I'd refer her to that thread so she could read about it so as not to give too much garlic. I believe we figured out they could tolerate a small amount.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your great suggestions. My Dad has Downey and I gave him a dilute rinse this afternoon. The "locals" tell me that the sand here is crawling with fleas and it's a very difficult problem to deal with. I sat with him on my lap before bathing him and picked the ones off I could find (4 of them
). they must be jumping on when we go outside. Now when we go out I take a flea comb to him as soon as we come in. I hope the Downey will keep some off. The strange part is there is not a single flea on Tasker (my OES), maybe because he is soo far off the ground!!

I had forgotten about the Downey, Thanks!.

Will also try the tea on his eyes, it definately looks like an irritation or allergy of some type.

Seems foolish worrying about a few fleas when so many are worrying about where there next meal will come from or where they will be sleeping next week! Thanks for your help.

Ginny & Ty

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I hope Ty feels better really really soon, I think when they are upset it hurts us almost as much, good luck getting rid of those pesky fleas

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
What a mess! I hope you get those nasty things off of him!

Let us know how the Downey works--I have been interested to know if it really works when put into action in a "real" test.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Downey works GREAT!!! Before we go out I wipe him down with a sheet and so far no more fleas. I also wipe the big dogs legs and it seems to keep the fleas from wanting to hitch a ride. Great advice, Thanks!

The tea also seems to be soothing his eyes, I suspecti it's an allergy. Thank's Janet!

Now if someone could come up with a way to keep the mosquito's from biting ME :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think citronella candles are an urban myth!!!! I think they actuall DRAW the mosquitos!! My Dad has one of those expensive propane mosquito repellers. The mosquitos here on the coast are HORRIBLE, I've never seen anything like it. I counted bites last night and have over 40 on my legs and arms. That is with bug spray!!! I'll take the snow in the north over the bugs in the south ANY DAY!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 4 2005, 11:16 AM
I think citronella candles are an urban myth!!!!  I think they actuall DRAW the mosquitos!!  My Dad has one of those expensive propane mosquito repellers.  The mosquitos here on the coast are HORRIBLE, I've never seen anything like it.  I counted bites last night and have over 40 on my legs and arms.  That is with bug spray!!!  I'll take the snow in the north over the bugs in the south ANY DAY!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96812
[/QUOTE]

Well.... let's see if I can think of anything else!! I would wear long pants and long sleeves then.... maybe that would help ? Gosh, I truly think I wouldn't go outside. I wouldn't care about the bites so much, myself, it is the possble disease the mosquito could be carrying.... take care of yourself!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would suggest you wipe the Downey on your legs if you have nothing else, if it works for the fleas it should work for the mozzies too. I also read about the Downey sheets for mozzies.
I am glad the tea helped with his eyes too, I used to always use that with my pets and it seemed to be very soothing. It is good for humans too.
We actually bought a new product put out by Cutter for the mozzies it's got that new formula with eucalyptus in it and it works very well for us.
It's CUTTER ADVANCED with Picaridin as the main ingredient.
It repels mosquitos, chiggers, biting flies, No-see-ums, gnats and fleas.
The spray is a pump action and it has no smell and it is light and non sticky. I have to say it works for all because we were down on the river yesterday and this rotten bee was buzzing me all the time so I sprayed this stuff on and I never saw him again, nor any of the pesky flies either.
Great Product well worth getting. We got it at Wal-Mart in the bug repellent section, it is in a dark blue bottle with a orange to red top.

The thing I like about it too is there it no Deet so it is non toxic and safe for the children to use. Like all insect repellents though you must avoid eyes and not allow children to apply to their hands as it should not be put near the mouth.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this lady came in with two kittens that had fleas, but the kittens were only 8 weeks old. so she cant use flea meds anyway. the groomer told her that they basically "drown" the fleas by covering the kittens in a tearless shampoo...leave it there for 15 minutes, and then rinse. if there are any fleas left---they pick them off and kill them. i hope this helps.
it just seems a little safer than putting a fabric softner that contains chemicals on your dog, you know?

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Headed for the store to find Cutter Advanced!!! The fleas seem to be under control! Guess despite the fact that I was born in Georgia and my entire family is here in SC I'm a northern girl at herat

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
ok that's good I wish you luck, but don't use it on your puppy will you, it is meant for you to stop the bugs biting your legs etc. I don't think it is safe to use on your puppy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.