Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took in a small female Maltese that is ready to have her babies any minute. It was a bad situation she came from & I couldn't refuse to take her in the alternative was she would go to a shelter. My questions, What are signs she is going into labor? I have prepared a whelping box for her & have all the supplies that are needed (I have raised cocker spaniels so I am familiar with the birthing process but just never had a Maltese having babies). The people I got her from said they thought she would be due sometime this week. With my cockers they would begin to nest, pace, excessive panting what other signs might a Maltese show in the early stages. She only weighs about 8lbs now they told me she was bred by a maltese but not sure of the weight. My vet is aware & on call if needed. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Apr 11 2005, 05:57 PM
A maltese is no different in terms of signs of birth.  Have you checked her temperature?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51596
[/QUOTE]

I have not yet my vet had told me that their temp would drop when they get close. I believe that is what he said with my cockers I never had to check their temp it was always very obvious. Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by luvmymacy+Apr 11 2005, 08:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CharmyPoo
@Apr 11 2005, 05:57 PM
A maltese is no different in terms of signs of birth.  Have you checked her temperature?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51596

I have not yet my vet had told me that their temp would drop when they get close. I believe that is what he said with my cockers I never had to check their temp it was always very obvious. Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51600
[/B][/QUOTE]

Bless you for helping.....

Here is an excellent site that might offer some useful info for you. Whelping Info Web Site

The info on it includes Whelping Pictures -- (This is amazing... lots of pictures of the entire birth process!)

Whelping Pictorial

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
oh my goodness. that is so wonderful of you to take in this poor baby
i'm soo impressed. it looks like you've gotten some good advice, just DONT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF HER is all i can add
i've heard of female dogs sneaking away and giving birth on their own.

keep us updated! what's going to happen to the puppies?

good luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you both

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She will be with me every second from now until she delivers. I have a couple of people that want a puppy both are relatives of mine & will give them very good homes. I am sure I can find homes for these little balls of fur. I am excited but nervous. Right now she just wants to be close to me at all times which is fine with me. I will update as things progress. Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Start taking her temp and charting it NOW (2-3x/day). When it drops, she should go into labor within 24 hours.

Toy breeds in general often need c-sections. If she starts laboring but doesn't progress, don't wait. Take her in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 11 2005, 08:43 PM
Start taking her temp and charting it NOW (2-3x/day). When it drops, she should go into labor within 24 hours.

Toy breeds in general often need c-sections. If she starts laboring but doesn't progress, don't wait. Take her in.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51655
[/QUOTE]

You are so right JMM. My Malte's Mom (who I have also) had a very difficult birth. I was ignorant and didn't get an x-ray and had no idea she was carrying 6 pups. I lost the first two. I rushed her to the Vet. He had to induce labor for the remaining 4 but one just wouldn't come down, she was stuck in the canal. He did a C-section to get her out and a spay. I kept one, Jimmi. Had I not had the money to pay for the C-section which ran almost 2,000.00 she could have died. On top of this, my pup just had luxated patella surgery. My vet stated that her siblings have a 90% chance of having it also, so I contacted the owners of the other pups who are now in the process of getting hip and knee x-rays.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
One of my close friends was on a waiting list for a Maltese puppy about 10 years ago. I had helped her search and search until she found a great breeder. The breeder had an ultrasound done early on that showed an abnormal number of puppies, but the vet thought it was a mistake since it was done by a new technician. It was repeated towards the end and only showed 3 puppies.

The breeder had promised my friend that she could be present at the birth. She got the call in the middle of the night. She was so excited as she had waited so long....

It was a nightmare. The mom had been carrying too many pups afterall (they were hiding behind one another in the last ultrasound). The vet had to rush over there at 3:00 in the morning and then they had to rush to the vet's office for an emergency c-section and hysterectomy. They lost all but one puppy who was born with a deformed leg. The mom barely survived. The breeder decided to have the remaining puppy euthanized since it was deformed and the mother couldn't nurse it.

This woman had bred Yorkies for 20 years and only recently started to breed Maltese. Apparently, she'd had complications with other litters eevn with ultrasounds and constant vet care. She nicknamed Maltese the "heartbreak" breed. This experience shook her up so much that she gave up trying to breed Maltese.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Apr 12 2005, 01:36 PM
One of my close friends was on a waiting list for a Maltese puppy about 10 years ago. I had helped her search and search until she found a great breeder. The breeder had an ultrasound done early on that showed an abnormal number of puppies, but the vet thought it was a mistake since it was done by a new technician. It was repeated towards the end and only showed 3 puppies.

The breeder had promised my friend that she could be present at the birth. She got the call in the middle of the night. She was so excited as she had waited so long....

It was a nightmare. The mom had been carrying too many pups afterall (they were hiding behind one another in the last ultrasound). The vet had to rush over there at 3:00 in the morning and then they had to rush to the vet's office for an emergency c-section and hysterectomy. They lost all but one puppy who was born with a deformed leg.  The mom barely survived. The breeder decided to have the remaining puppy euthanized since it was deformed and the mother couldn't nurse it.

This woman had bred Yorkies for 20 years and only recently started to breed Maltese. Apparently, she'd had complications with other litters eevn with ultrasounds and constant vet care. She nicknamed Maltese the "heartbreak" breed. This experience shook her up so much that she gave up trying to breed Maltese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51856
[/QUOTE]

What a horrible story...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow! That web site was a real eye-opener for me! I say we should mention this site any time someone posts about wanting to breed their dog. It is NOT for the faint hearted or amateur.

What an awesome responsibility and a thrilling experience. But scary, too.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Apr 13 2005, 03:02 PM
Wow!  That web site was a real eye-opener for me!  I say we should mention this site any time someone posts about wanting to breed their dog.  It is NOT for the faint hearted or amateur.

What an awesome responsibility and a thrilling experience.  But scary, too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52272
[/QUOTE]

I know..... I wasn't sure I was up to seeing something like that but I felt drawn to it and found it fascinating.... The photos are as graphic as they come but it tells it like it is...... My take on it.... Breeding is a huge moral responsibilty.... little lives are in a breeder's hands.... how powerful.... one should make sure they know what they are doing before attempting anything like this.... who wants to be responsible for puppies who do not make it.....

Maltese Whelping Explained and Photographed - Web Site

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have arrived. 2 boys 1 girl they are beautiful. She started labor about 11am yesterday April 13 had the first pup at 6:30pm then it was like her labor stopped she had not known what to do with the first pup so I broke the sac cleaned it up and cut the cord. I sat with her the entire time. I kept putting the baby on her to nurse & this would bring the labor back then she began pushing about 10 pm finally just as I was telling my husband to call the vet I started seeing merconium this is not good I know from my nursing days but I said a prayer & asked God to help me & this little angel. After several hard pains the pup presented and delivered about 10:30 pm. Momma knew what to do this time about 25 minutes later the third pup presented breech that is why I had seen the merconium & I cut the cord at 11pm. Mother & babies are going great. I will post pics soon. Thanks for all the support.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by sheila2182@Apr 14 2005, 09:15 AM
That is great news!!!CONGRATS,so glad Mom and babies are doing well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52559
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so am I it was a bit nerve racking for a little will. But, everyone is doing well this morning even me. HA

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Wow... what a night you had.... I am so glad that everything turned out OK..... Welping is definitely not for the faint of heart!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts