Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted lola's condition awhile ago but I need some help.

She had a her first rabies shot when she was like 2-3 months onld and she has a bump on the site. She's now 11 months old and it's still there.

She scratches it so it left like a scab but the lump has turned into little clusters.

Has not gotten bigger but it's still there.

I took her to the vet and he said she should get it removed cuz it can be cancer.

So my question is....

has anyone else expreiance this??

Can a 11 month old get cancer??

Can cancer be cured in dogs by just removing it??

Any advice or stories would be very helpful.

Thanks in advace!

lola's mom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Good luck...let us know what you find out.

We had some small spots like that come up on our Bassett Hound. She had them all removed. They ended up being benign. She had a few more after that...and then they stopped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
If you are not comfortable enough to trust your vet. then please get a second opinion,but dont wait to long to get it done.If you wait there might be a chance it could spread. Good luck to you and your baby,please keep us posted..Prayers coming your way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
I will send good thoughts your way, I can't answer your question, but maybe Marj or JMM will see this post and help. Kisses to your baby...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
Poor little thing...I can tell you that my neighbor's beagle had some wart like clusters removed and tested. They turned out to be nothing. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone.... u guys are so sweet
I'll let u know what happens... right now the guy at the vet told me try putting a warm cloth there to see if it'll go away. I talk to my husband and he said it seem to have gotten smaller since the first time he noticed it so i'm gonna see what happens in a couple of weeks and then take her to get it removed or get a second opinion.

It's been there for about 6-7 months and it hasn't gotten bigger so it's a good sign. She shows no signs of being a sick dog, She's actually a really happy and very stress free dog...so I hope everything will be ok. (knock on wood) Thanks for all ur thoughts and comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,856 Posts
Hope everything works out ok for you and your baby. I will keep you in my prayers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
A reaction to the rabies vaccine often forms a lump that can take up to 6 weeks to go away. A lump like this that has not gone away and is unusual looking should be looked at and maybe removed. If you aren't comfortable with your vet, get a second opinion. It could be as simple as a really reactive site from the injection or a sterile abscess or it could be an unrelated lump. Best to get it checked out.

Yes, a puppy can get some types of cancer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 27 2005, 04:19 PM
A reaction to the rabies vaccine often forms a lump that can take up to 6 weeks to go away. A lump like this that has not gone away and is unusual looking should be looked at and maybe removed. If you aren't comfortable with your vet, get a second opinion. It could be as simple as a really reactive site from the injection or a sterile abscess or it could be an unrelated lump. Best to get it checked out.

Yes, a puppy can get some types of cancer.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57329
[/QUOTE]


thank you for ur advise. It's been way over 6 weeks I think I talk to a vet before about it and they said it can take upto a year also. I'm gonna get it removed as soon as I can. Till then i'm going to do the whole warm towel thingy and see if that helps. Again... it did decrease in size but is still there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
Kodie had a lump also after the rabie vaccine. His lump lasted around 1yr... and the one vet I saw was going to take a biopsy of it but things just didnt work out with that office. Anyway... Kodie had other issues that needed to be handled and I just kept an eye on it... it did go away.... shhh... Kodie hasnt had another rabie vaccine since... but... i know that some day they will make me get one... and then if there is another lump... I just dont know what i'm gonna do.
Kodie wasnt really scratching at it or anything... i dont even think he knew it was there.... so it seems maybe your baby has a different type of lump.?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Kodie@Apr 28 2005, 07:54 AM
Kodie had a lump also after the rabie vaccine.  His lump lasted around 1yr... and the one vet I saw was going to take a biopsy of it but things just didnt work out with that office.  Anyway... Kodie had other issues that needed to be handled and I just kept an eye on it... it did go away.... shhh... Kodie hasnt had another rabie vaccine since... but... i know that some day they will make me get one... and then if there is another lump... I just dont know what i'm gonna do.
  Kodie wasnt really scratching at it or anything... i dont even think he knew it was there.... so it seems maybe your baby has a different type of lump.?!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57546
[/QUOTE]

glad to hear it went away... Sounds the same I talk to another owner that had the same problem. So we'll see.

Thanks for ur input!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Originally posted by lolaku@Apr 27 2005, 11:22 AM
I've posted lola's condition awhile ago but I need some help.

She had a her first rabies shot when she was like 2-3 months onld and she has a bump on the site.  She's now 11 months old and it's still there.

She scratches it so it left like a scab but the lump has turned into little clusters.

Has not gotten bigger but it's still there.

I took her to the vet and he said she should get it removed cuz it can be cancer.

So my question is....

has anyone else expreiance this??

Can a 11 month old get cancer??

Can cancer be cured in dogs by just removing it??

Any advice or stories would be very helpful.

Thanks in advace!

lola's mom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57272
[/QUOTE]


I hope the best for you and your dog.....
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top