Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking Miss Phoebe tonight to have her checked for a possible UTI. Symptoms are peeing more frequently than usual, and squatting again immediately after going, and nothing coming out.

I went through this with Holli many times as she got older, and even to the point we had bladder surgery to remove stones. Gee- I hope we arent re-living that experience!

My question, is how common is this in little ones? If I had to guess I would say if its an infection it is due to her squatting so low when she goes, she is probably sitting in pee while its coming out. If thats what it turns out to be, I have a feeling I'll have to start wiping her - or shes going to need stilts to stay out of the puddle.

I am so tempted to start the outside potty training but its still freeeeeezing!

my poor pooper

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, poor baby! Hope it clears up soon.

If she's "going" inside, doesn't the potty pad absorb the urine right away? Mine go on potty pads and the urine soaks in right away so there is never a puddle or anything.

Is the hair around her vagina trimmed? My groomer keeps that area very, very clean... removes all hair ... knock on wood Kallie is almost 3 and has had no UTI's ever.

Keep us posted......

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is quite common for pups to get UTIs. If they are recurrent and she has a tucked vulva, talk to your breeder about special permission to let her come in season once before her spay to help the vulva pop out more.

Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason for the UTI. I use a baby wipe on Mikey to clean up his wee wee. I used Malaseb Pledgelettes on my lab girl who would have the little urine pool around her vulva and cause infections. Once a day wipe kept them away.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

Yes, shes going inside on pads. I just think her little flower is touching the pad as she goes (all that fur I cant really see, but shes close!), so its like shes sitting in it for a brief second as its being absorbed. I've trimmed that hair just because I worried about this happening, but I dont get it as close as your groomer I dont think. Going to work on that.

Never heard of a tucked vulva but I will definately bring that up. I wiped her good this morning because she had an accident again last night
I really hope shes not in any pain. I have had these before and they are awful

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the vet didnt see anything wrong in her urine. He is sending it out to the lab because he is worried about her going to pee but nothing coming out. He also did an ultrasound- no stones, and the wall of her bladder and other things appear fine. I wont know more until friday.

This new vet office is really nice. they do ultrasound right there. both other local vets have someone come in to do them and the most recent 2 that my Holli had were 450$ each. This whole visit was 112$. amazing.

On the way there she had to poop- so my car stinks like you cannot believe. Imagine how I was driving down the road stretching out a pad on my floor, getting her on it, trying to pick up poo from the pad during her going so she doesnt step in it, how she dropped a little bomb in my lap and how I was trying to bag it all up- Its raining, and all the windows are up - the smell omg. ok that nightmare is over now. I was nearly in tears

I really hope everything is ok and that this is nothing serious.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm so glad that it doesn't appear to be a bladder problem. Poor little *stinky* Phoebe. Did the vet have any other ideas? Thank goodness Phoebe doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort. We've added her to our prayers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am so sorry about little Phoebe. But I just had to laugh out loud about the poo scene in the car. What we don't do for these little treasures!
Quincymom

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Oh my goodness. That wasn't a fun car ride! XOXOXO's from Cloud and Noriko. I hope all is well.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Prayers and Hugs to little Phoebe and to you!! Keep us posted on the results. Also, I am glad to hear your experience with your new Vet was positive!! It is so important that you feel comfortable with them....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update *blush*

The vet called today and said nothing is wrong in the urine
He thinks she is just "testing" me to see how far she can push, when it comes to asking to go potty every single hour during then night. So, shes spoiled? I dont know. The part we were both concerned is that she was squatting and nothing was coming out. The only thing I can think if nothing really is wrong, is that maybe she is just doing it to fake me out since she knows I want her to pee on the pad? kids...

Anyway, I shaved her little flower and surrounding area (with daddys moustache trimmer, works nice
shhh) and am making sure to keep her dry and comfy. I'll keep an eye out for any more odd behaviors of course. I'm sometimes nervous that when they dont find anything since you never know what could be lurking in there.

She of course is fine and we hung out all day since I was off. She loves her mommy
daddy and I have an attention battle going and I always win

night folks and thanks prayers and for lovin the poo story
bleh. I am never going to live that down at home thats for sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi, my name is Sesika I was just informed by my vet that Cutie (my 5yr maltese) has a stone and urinary infection. I am sorry to hear about your little one, it makes me sad to see my little one squat for along time.
I hope your baby doesn't have a bad infection.

Can you tell me what happen to your other dog, the one that had surgery for stones.
how much did surgery cost you?
did you get to see the stone in the utlrasound clearly?
how long was recovery?
did vet try to disolve the stone by diet at first?
any info, i appreciate.

thank you.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
hi, my name is Sesika I was just informed by my vet that Cutie (my 5yr maltese) has a stone and urinary infection. I am sorry to hear about your little one, it makes me sad to see my little one squat for along time.
I hope your baby doesn't have a bad infection.

Can you tell me what happen to your other dog, the one that had surgery for stones.
how much did surgery cost you?
did you get to see the stone in the utlrasound clearly?
how long was recovery?
did vet try to disolve the stone by diet at first?
any info, i appreciate.

thank you.[/B]
Surgery costs will depend on where you live. In Northern VA, I'd expect to pay around $1500.

Most stones are diagnosed via ultrasound or radiographs. Not all types of stones appear on radiographs so an ultrasound with an experienced ultrasonographer can be a great tool.

Recovery for abdominal surgery is usually about 2 weeks, though the initial pain and discomfort is usually resolved in about 5-7 days. Discuss specific procedures and what you should expect with your dog with your vet.

I've never seen anything other than tiny struvite stones successfully dissolved by diet.

The type of stone is important to know. Diet can help keep dogs from forming them again. Some types of stones are secondary to other health problems (so treating the primary problem will help prevent the stones from returning). You need a stone to analyze the type so most of the time surgery to get them out and figure out what they are is necessary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts