Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
canaille's boyfriend is currently on antibiotics for a UTI. i know the symptoms and the treatment but i could not find what causes UTI. anyone knows?
thank you

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by suzanne@Jun 4 2005, 10:12 AM
canaille's boyfriend is currently on antibiotics for a UTI. i know the symptoms and the treatment but i could not find what causes UTI. anyone knows?
thank you
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68941
[/QUOTE]

Is this a human or a maltese? Sorry, I am confused. Either way, it is generally caused by a bacteria (such as E coli). If its a human male, he may have anatomical predisposition as males normally do not get UTIs.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol... canaille's boyfriend is a maltese. sorry about the confusion.
i read about the bacteria but where does this bacteria come from? how is it actually transmitted to the dogs?
thanks

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are a number of things that can cause the infection --
1. Urine pooling around the vulva or prepuce
2. Bladder stones
3. The bladder not being emptied long enough (urine sits there for a long time)
4. Kidney disease predisposes pets to UTIs
5. Immune compromise predisposes pets to UTIs
6. Puppies commonly gets UTIs from not cleaning themselves well, pooling urine, just being a normal puppy thing.
7. In males normal prepucial discharge can have bacteria in it that can travel up the urethra, especially if they have a lot of discharge.

For a dog to get a single UTI is not a major concern unless there are other changes on the urinalysis that make the vet worry about kidney problems, stones, etc.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 4 2005, 02:59 PM
There are a number of things that can cause the infection --
1. Urine pooling around the vulva or prepuce
2. Bladder stones
3. The bladder not being emptied long enough (urine sits there for a long time)
4. Kidney disease predisposes pets to UTIs
5. Immune compromise predisposes pets to UTIs
6. Puppies commonly gets UTIs from not cleaning themselves well, pooling urine, just being a normal puppy thing.
7. In males normal prepucial discharge can have bacteria in it that can travel up the urethra, especially if they have a lot of discharge.

For a dog to get a single UTI is not a major concern unless there are other changes on the urinalysis that make the vet worry about kidney problems, stones, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68960
[/QUOTE]

What are the symtoms please. Just curious

1 - 9 of 9 Posts