Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:Times">Peaches has urine burns on the back of her hind legs and near her private area
. Her vet prescribed Oxydex and told us to apply twice daily on affected areas. Well I have been doing that and seen some improveness. Her private area
cleared up but the back of her hind legs are still pretty pink and very dry/flakey. I'm just about almost finished with the tube of Oxydex. Should I discontinue applying the ointment on her legs once the tube is finished?? Im so confused...
I dont understand why her legs had'nt cleared up. Has anyone else experienced this before???</span>

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I've never heard of anything like that. Since the vet is treating her for this condition, I would check with him/her on the expectations for it clearing up, etc.

Hope she's better soon!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Wonder .. did the vet check the ph of the urine?

When Missy's ph goes too ALKY on the ph she tends to get vaginitis. Her vet suggested I clean the area and apply a bit of A& D ointment. This acts as a "shield" from the urine on the skin. ( used mostly for human babies for diaper rash).It is a bit stinky but it really helped Missy during these 'bouts".
I also add a tiny tiny bit of cranberry to her food. I break a capsule and in her case it only takes a few grains to get her back into the acidic range and when in that ph she has no problems.
These are some things you might want to discuss with the vet.
Terry and Missy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts