Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago or so, I found some drops of urine on the floor just outside my bedroom door, which is right next to the bathroom. Today, I found two drops of urine outside the bathroom door. I'm pretty sure this is Sir N since he is the one who goes to the bathroom in the bathroom. Well, I do, too, but I know that I didn't dribble.

Sir N doesn't make mistakes. He has not had an "accident" in years...maybe three or four years, perhaps even more than that.

So, I'm worried that this might be some kind of health problem starting to crop up. What kind of health problem might this be? And yes, I did check the wee-wee in question and it doesn't have long hairs that might be storing urine for later dribbles.

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'll bet Sir N is marking. That's what they do when they mark - lift a leg and just squirt out a few drops of urine. Since you said he's been interested in Little C lately, this makes sense.

Unfortunately, males can start marking at any time. I have a friend who does Yorkie rescue. She has a male who just started marking 9 year old when she was fostering a particular rescue.

Time to invest in some belly bands, I guess!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm....but if it were marking, wouldn't he try marking something vertical? Belly bands? Gosh, I sure hope it doesn't come to that. He has been free to use the bathroom WHENEVER he needs/wants to his entire life.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Apr 22 2005, 09:30 AM
I think a trip to the vet would be in order,to make sure he doesnt have a UI.Just to be on the safe side.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55239
[/QUOTE]

I agree. A UTI or crystals could make him strain to go and just dribble. Since he uses pee pads, have you noticed normal size puddles on his pad or just little dribbles there, too?

As far as the marking goes, depending on his aim, the drops will very likely end up on the floor. They usually cock their leg against vertical surfaces, but not necessarily. They'll mark clothing lying on the floor, for instance. I hope he's not marking, but the fact that he's been "interested" in Little C sure does sound like that's what he's doing.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He doesn't use piddle pads. He pees directly on the bathroom floor. It's all tile and there is a drain in the floor. I shower directly on the floor....no bathtub. There was nothing on the floor where the dribbles were.

I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow and have him run tests. I worry because I don't know Sir N's background at all really.....I don't know anything about his parents or the people who were breeding his parents. I don't know their medical history. Plus, he's getting older. He'll be 8 this fall.

He is no longer interested in Little C in that way. He's gotten friendlier with her in that when she accidentally bowls into him on her way to fetch a toy, he doesn't jump up like somebody just puked on him and then growl. The dribbles happened long after he lost interest in her in THAT way.

This is going to sound terrible, but I hope that it is some medical problem, but of course, only one that can be easily cleared up. If this is marking, ugh. Well, if it is just a dribble now and then, I can deal with it so long as it only happens on the floor and not on my bed. But, if he gets more enthusiastic with it....*sigh* I don't know what I'll do.

I'll update after the vet visit tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Apr 22 2005, 10:26 AM
He doesn't use piddle pads.  He pees directly on the bathroom floor.  It's all tile and there is a drain in the floor.  I shower directly on the floor....no bathtub.  There was nothing on the floor where the dribbles were.

I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow and have him run tests.  I worry because I don't know Sir N's background at all really.....I don't know anything about his parents or the people who were breeding his parents.  I don't know their medical history.  Plus, he's getting older.  He'll be 8 this fall. 

He is no longer interested in Little C in that way.  He's gotten friendlier with her in that when she accidentally bowls into him on her way to fetch a toy, he doesn't jump up like somebody just puked on him and then growl.  The dribbles happened long after he lost interest in her in THAT way. 

This is going to sound terrible, but I hope that it is some medical problem, but of course, only one that can be easily cleared up.  If this is marking, ugh.  Well, if it is just a dribble now and then, I can deal with it so long as it only happens on the floor and not on my bed.  But, if he gets more enthusiastic with it....*sigh*  I don't know what I'll do. 

I'll update after the vet visit tomorrow.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55267
[/QUOTE]
Hows Sir N doing?Hope all is well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts