Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys! It's starting to get chilly. This morning it was 64 degrees in my Apt. I wasn't sure if Cloud was warm enough but I put a light sweater on him anyway. But what am I to do when it gets even colder than that? I heard that heating cost doubled and I really need to conserve.

Anyway, here are my questions:
I was wondering do any of you guys use a portable heater when you're not at home to keep your babies warm?

How cold does it get before you decide to put a sweater on them?

If you don't use portable heaters, how high/low do you keep your thermostat?

One of the thing I was thinking of doing is leaving the thermostat on really really low and when I'm at home and sleeping, use the portable heater.

I can't stress to you guys how much of a budget I am but at the same time I do have Cloud's best interest in mind. This issue has been bugging me since SUMMER! Ask Lexi's mom!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would say as long as you have him in a room that is free of draughts and a nice warm bed he should be fine.
There are those bed warmers that you can heat in the microwave and they are supposed to stay warm all day. I would be worried about leaving anything electrical running if you are not there to supervise for fear of him perhaps chewing the cord. Just keep a little jumper on him for extra warmth in really chilly weather.
I think Petco have those special heat pads that go in the microwave.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm really paranoid about those portable heaters...every winter the news shows quite a few fires started because of faulty portable heaters. I would stick to the microwave heat pads like others suggested.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I agree with the others about not using it if you arent home. I use mine when I am home to supervise it. Plus, even though your heating costs might be high, the portable heaters are MAJOR electricity guzzlers so keep that in mind too when it comes to the amount of time you run it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would worry about using portable heaters just because you never know. What if Buttercloud gets too close to the heater and his hairs can get caught? That will probably never happen but I think its better to be safe than sorry!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
They have those newer kind that are really like a fan that just blows hot air...I would think that would be much safer, but I dunno.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My hubby and I were discussing this last month, and our solution was this......

The "kids" stay in our Kitchen/breakfast area when we are out. We do not let them roam the house.........Sweetie is not trustable in the pee-pee dept. We use pee pads.
So, we bought the kind of portable heater that is filled with oil, like a radiator. According to all the literature, it is MUCH safer than a space heater, takes MUCH less electricity, yet will heat a small area. That way, we can turn the heat down a bit (we have oil heat and live in the mid-atlantic states, OUCH!!! this year!!!), so that is our solution to conserving.

Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
yeah, i'm not a big fan of space heaters. i did have one of the newer ones that traci mentioned, that blows hot air (the fan, not traci, lol) and it worked really well. took a while to get "going" but worked well. i dont know that i'd have been able to leave a buttercup near it unsupervised, but that's me.

when i'm gone for work or whatever in the winter, the buttercup sleeps in her cave bed with other flannel-fleecy blankies to keep her warm. she LOOOOOVES her snoozer cave bed. it took her almost three years to use it regularly, but now, she's in it more than any other bed. i just re-read that sentence. i really need to stop buying things for buttercup that I LIKE and just stick to what SHE NEEDS, lol. for her to have a $60 bed that just sat around and decorated the floor for over two full years is just dumb on my part LOL

ann marie and the "chief financial officer" buttercup

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I agree with everyone else about not trusting space heaters when you aren't home. Maybe you could invest in some more sweaters and make sure that the bed is snuggly and warm.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 17 2005, 10:30 PM
They have those newer kind that are really like a fan that just blows hot air...I would think that would be much safer, but I dunno.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110776
[/QUOTE]

We used one of these one year, just a small desk size one, it was great because when it got too hot it would shut off by itself. We have a heat pump with a gas heat back up that cuts on when the heat pump cant keep up and with the natural gas prices supposed to be going up 50% from last year and we had a gas bill over $400 last winter, we are looking at an electric portable alternative to put in the family room so the gas doesnt have to run as much. At lowe's that had a few energy efficient models with a programable thermostat. They had some that were tower style so Rex couldnt get burned from it. Even with that if we do decide to get one, I think we will keep it on a table out of Rex's reach.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That hot air fan sounds like a good idea. But what makes it safer? Can I leave it on for over 9 hrs straight? I am thinking of blocking him off to my bedroom, the lil hallway, and the bathroom tomorrow to see how good he'll be. That way I won't have to put the heat on as high and he'll be nice and warm on my bed in the down comforter.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
What about those pet heating pads that only turn on when your pet lays on it? You could cover the cord so he can't chew on it. I'll bet one of the pet catalogs have them.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by mimi2@Oct 18 2005, 06:12 PM
What about those pet heating pads that only turn on when your pet lays on it?  You could cover the cord so he can't chew on it.  I'll bet one of the pet catalogs have them. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111043
[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I want the heater for myself too for myself at night.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Msloke+Oct 18 2005, 07:15 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 07:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mimi2
@Oct 18 2005, 06:12 PM
What about those pet heating pads that only turn on when your pet lays on it?  You could cover the cord so he can't chew on it.  I'll bet one of the pet catalogs have them.  

I'm trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I want the heater for myself too for myself at night.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111084

[/QUOTE]
I guess then sharing the pet heating pad is out of the question?
uh, sorry

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111090
[/B][/QUOTE]

HAHHAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Oct 18 2005, 06:39 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 07:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mimi2

uh, sorry

HAHHAHAHAHAH

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111098
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, then get the heating pad for the dogs and an electric blanket for your bed. That way you can all be warm and not worry about burning your place down.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke+Oct 18 2005, 07:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mimi2

[/QUOTE]
uh, sorry

[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
751 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 17 2005, 08:36 PM
Hey you guys!  It's starting to get chilly.  This morning it was 64 degrees in my Apt.  I wasn't sure if Cloud was warm enough but I put a light sweater on him anyway.  But what am I to do when it gets even colder than that?  I heard that heating cost doubled and I really need to conserve. 

Anyway, here are my questions:
I was wondering do any of you guys use a portable heater when you're not at home to keep your babies warm? 

How cold does it get before you decide to put a sweater on them? 

If you don't use portable heaters, how high/low do you keep your thermostat?

One of the thing I was thinking of doing is leaving the thermostat on really really low and when I'm at home and sleeping, use the portable heater. 

I can't stress to you guys how much of a budget I am but at the same time I do have Cloud's best interest in mind.  This issue has been bugging me since SUMMER!  Ask Lexi's mom!

Very dangerous to use these kinds of heaters if your away or even during the night.  Many fires have happened while using these.  I work where we sell all kinds of heaters and we tell our customers NEVER to use them at night or have them on if your not at home.  Actually when using them you should be in the same room.  Also, you never want to have a cord that your puppy could chew into.

My baby has his crate next to a A/C vent and he loves the cold air.  Strange unh?  I made him some sweaters, he will wear them but when I take them off he runs to the A/C outlet.  Wonder what he will do when I turn the heat on?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110705
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oops. Let me try this again....

Very dangerous to use these kinds of heaters if your away or even during the night. Many fires have happened while using these. I work where we sell all kinds of heaters and we tell our customers NEVER to use them at night or have them on if your not at home. Actually when using them you should be in the same room. Also, you never want to have a cord that your puppy could chew into.

My baby has his crate next to a A/C vent and he loves the cold air. Strange unh? I made him some sweaters, he will wear them but when I take them off he runs to the A/C outlet. Wonder what he will do when I turn the heat on?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Oct 19 2005, 04:08 AM
My baby has his crate next to a A/C vent and he loves the cold air.  Strange unh?  I made him some sweaters, he will wear them but when I take them off he runs to the A/C outlet.  Wonder what he will do when I turn the heat on?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111196
[/QUOTE]
Nikki loves leaning up against the A/C vent. At the breeder she had floor vents and she kept going over and laying on them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts