Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have only had little Jill for about two weeks now when I had to take her for her distemper booster. I later found out that this booster actually has like 5 things in it. Anyway, She was a perfect little angel at the vet, except she threw up. (She gets car sick. I hope she outgrows that!) After she got her injection, she seemed fine. I had to be a work very shortly, but something told me not to leave her. I waited for my husband to get home. When I left for work, she was fine. About 2 hours later my husband called and said she was acting funny. Crying when he picked her up like she was in pain, not wanting to lay down, and she was wobbly. I told him to call the vet. They said it didn't sound like anything but he could bring her in if her wanted to. Well he did! When he got there they took her back without him and gave her a shot of prednesone. Now she has to have that before the next booster, in three more weeks. when I got home, she looked terrible, I though she was going to die, she is so little. Only 2 pounds and 12 weeks old. When I asked them about a reaction they said that it would happen right away. well it didn't. It took about 5 hours for her to get back to her old self after that prednesone. Thank goodness we didn't leave her alone at all. I don't know what I would have done if something happened to her. I will post some pics when I can. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
She was in pain and they said it didnt sound like anything?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 8 2005, 12:41 PM
She was in pain and they said it didnt sound like anything? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50534
[/QUOTE]

They told my husband that she was probably sore at the injection site. I have been taking my animals there for years, now I am having second thoughts.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Find out what was in that vaccine before you vaccinate her again. If it had 5 things in it, as you say, it probably had both lepto and coronavirus. Lepto should never be given to a Maltese. Corona can cause some awful side effects, too.

A 3-in-1 vaccine (distemper, parainfluenza and parvo) is all our Maltese need, in addition to rabies.

You were right to worry. Poor baby.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lady's Mom. I am gong to make sure that's what they give her next time. I have heard of lepto but what is corona?

PS Yes there was lepto in it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yikes... Lepto.... I'm so glad your husband was with her and that you all were able to get her back to the vet. My vet said they haven't used Lepto in years in any dog.... I am really surprised your vet didn't at least discuss it with you....esp. with a Maltese.... I am so glad little Jill is OK!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I'm glad to hear she's feeling better now. I bet that was a scare. I would suggested calling your vet now to see if you can get the next shot without lepto. If they don't do it I would start calling around to other vets.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww...poor baby! Glad someone was there with her. Hugs and kisses!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
toooooooo scary.. thank god she's ok

but um not to sound cheery or anything cuz this def isn't a happy matter but NEW PUPPY!? did i miss a post? let me know.

once again, glad little jill (too cute w/ the jack and jill btw) is OK...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Wow, thank goodness Jill is recovering. All these threads about vac's and other things are just SO helpful to us new Momma's. I am so glad she is doing better. There is a lot to be said for that inner voice too....if something doesn't feel right, go with that feeling and get some answers!!

Sisse sends kisses and tail wags to Jill!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
They should be pretreating with Benadryl and, if necessary, a steroid.

I would be very upset if my dog had a vaccine reaction and that's how my vet reacted (she's fine). I think you are right to question them. We ask clients to be home for a few hours with them just in case. Whenever they call and suspect a reaction we have them bring them back in just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by puppylucy@Apr 8 2005, 04:53 PM
toooooooo scary.. thank god she's ok 

but um not to sound cheery or anything cuz this def isn't a happy matter but NEW PUPPY!? did i miss a post? let me know.

once again, glad little jill (too cute w/ the jack and jill btw) is OK...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50632
[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what your questions is, but Jill is 12 weeks and her first set of shots was done by the breeders vet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 8 2005, 06:50 PM
They should be pretreating with Benadryl and, if necessary, a steroid.

I would be very upset if my dog had a vaccine reaction and that's how my vet reacted (she's fine). I think you are right to question them. We ask clients to be home for a few hours with them just in case. Whenever they call and suspect a reaction we have them bring them back in just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50674
[/QUOTE]
Yes they said they were going to pre-medicate her next time. I am researching new vets. I have been reading alot and when my husband said her belly was sore, they should have know right away it was a reaction. Instead they said "bring her in if you want to." I am very angry

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Apr 9 2005, 06:23 AM
I am not sure what your questions is, but Jill is 12 weeks and her first set of shots was done by the breeders vet. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50803
[/QUOTE]

that's cute.

i was just asking cuz i didn't know you added another white fluffball to your household

·
Registered
841 Posts
That's so scary hope Jill is ok, I took our baby Summer to the vet. for her last set of shots on the 28th of Mar. Was gone for a week ( Kids and Grandma stayed with her) and when I came home she had this bump on her back where they give the shot , So I called the vet and they said that its normal could last up to a month . I'm watching it everyday and night to see if its going down It seems to be but its so weird kinda of like a knot.
PS have question has anyone ever heard of only giving vacine every 3 yrs?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts