Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I posted some info on the intro thread and people were warning me against socializing them before they have completed their vaccinations. I have two ten week old females... They had their first vet visit two weeks ago and received a clean bill of health. :) Next week, they get their second shot in the vaccination series in addition to bordatella. I had originally planned on starting them at a puppy socializing class the following Saturday. The organization that does the class requires they be through their second set of shots and the pups at the parties can only be up to 16 weeks old. I have read pretty much all over that the time before 16 weeks... ideally before 12 weeks... is the critical socialization period. I want the puppies to be properly socialized; I do not want them to be fearful or aggressive. So...... Advice?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
You'll likely hear several opinions here. I guess it just depends on your own point of view. I am a cautious person and would personally not be comfortable having mine in a public puppy class or walking on the floor/ground in public until two weeks after their last shot.

I would do things that were less risky such as taking them for rides in the car and to non-pet-related places such as dept. stores in a carrier or stroller. If you have a stroller, you could take them for a walk in your neighborhood and have some friends planned to stop and interact with them.

For me, the problem with the puppy classes is you just don't know where the other puppies have been and I personally could not bear risking it.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Puppies get antibodies from nursing that block the effectiveness of the early vaccines. That's why it is not so much the number of rounds of vaccinations, but the age when the puppy receives them that is so important. At nine weeks old, vaccinations are only 40% effective. At 16 weeks they are only 60% effective. It is not until 18 weeks that puppies can be 95% immunized against deadly puppy diseases like parvo and then it is recommended that you wait another two weeks for full immunity.

In one study of a cross section of different puppies the age at which they were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age, 25% of the puppies could be immunized. At 9 weeks of age, 40% of the puppies were able to respond to the vaccine. The number increased to 60% by 16 weeks, and by 18 weeks of age, 95% of the puppies could be immunized.

Parvovirus: Serious Diarrhea in Puppies & Dogs

This is an excellent thread by one of our members that gives tips on puppy socialization. Many of them can be done with a puppy who isn't fully vaccinated as long as you are careful not to take them to places like dog parks, pet stores, puppy classes, grooming salons, etc. where their chance of exposure is high.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/54-maltese-training/88275-systematic-socialization-your-new-puppy.html

They will both need separate outings/socialization lessons to make sure they grow up to be well adjusted adult dogs. Two puppies can be challenging:

Two Puppies or One? - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i think its important to socialize your young puppy, but that doesn't mean you need to take your young pup to a public puppy class. i recommend that you follow the protocol on the pinned socialization thread to get your pup used to 'society', such as sounds of cars, horns, vacuum cleaners, the stereo, fireworks, airplane sounds, etc. get your pup used to the sound of your doorbell while remaining calm.

also, get him/her used to being held and pet by people other than you and those in your household. get your pup used to riding in a car, in a carseat, in a bag, used to a crate, etc. go to your vet to just stop by and weigh the pup (no floor time). get your pup used to being groomed, having teeth brushed, ears cleaned, nails trimmed.

all of this is considered socialization, not just puppy class. :) but you can also take private classes to learn to teach your pup basic commands and manners before going to a public class.

if i were in your situation i would also start socializing with my friends' dogs - older, calmer dogs that i know are healthy and in a home environment. also, i'd get my pup used to having a lead on in the house and walking nicely around the house....after 2nd series of shots i would start to walk the pup in low risk areas (i.e. few dogs) like the mall.

hope that helps and good luck with your little one!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
It's been a while since my two were puppies, but we just went through this with my son's basset hound. The vet stressed early socialization, but also that she wasn't protected until 16-18 weeks of age. So, the idea was to socialize with other dogs that you knew had already been vaccinated (family/friends), not let her feet hit the ground in public places including the vet's office which was quite a feat as she reached over 20 pounds several weeks before 18 weeks. She could visit yards and homes of family and friends that we knew were safe. I really believe you can socialize a pup at a young age and not expose them to parvo, etc. Good luck.

Linda

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
i think its important to socialize your young puppy, but that doesn't mean you need to take your young pup to a public puppy class. i recommend that you follow the protocol on the pinned socialization thread to get your pup used to 'society', such as sounds of cars, horns, vacuum cleaners, the stereo, fireworks, airplane sounds, etc. get your pup used to the sound of your doorbell while remaining calm.

also, get him/her used to being held and pet by people other than you and those in your household. get your pup used to riding in a car, in a carseat, in a bag, used to a crate, etc. go to your vet to just stop by and weigh the pup (no floor time). get your pup used to being groomed, having teeth brushed, ears cleaned, nails trimmed.

all of this is considered socialization, not just puppy class. :) but you can also take private classes to learn to teach your pup basic commands and manners before going to a public class.

if i were in your situation i would also start socializing with my friends' dogs - older, calmer dogs that i know are healthy and in a home environment. also, i'd get my pup used to having a lead on in the house and walking nicely around the house....after 2nd series of shots i would start to walk the pup in low risk areas (i.e. few dogs) like the mall.

hope that helps and good luck with your little one!
:goodpost:

Tami gave you some excellent recommendations.

Congratulations on your new puppies! I understand socialization is very important. While this certainly is a critical period in their lives, it's not the ONLY time you can socialize...my Bailey is a rescue (with an unknown history) who I adopted at 5 months...he was a very nervous and scared little guy in the beginning but I dedicated A LOT of time to socializing him to everything under the sun and now he is very well adjusted and confident. I would recommend limiting your puppies' contact with other dogs and new places for now...you dont know what diseases could be lurking out there and pups this young are so, so fragile. You definitely can still start socializing them now though, to the things Tami mentioned above. You can still take them out and about...but keeping them up in your arms or in a carrier would be ideal. Puppy classes are a great thing, but I personally would prefer waiting until I know my puppy is fully protected by his vaccines.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wowwww.... thanks for all the info. Some of these articles/stats I am a bit familiar with but I like hearing all your opinions and input.

The pups were nursing until the day we picked them up. I read that it is useless to vaccinate before they are weaned... therefore, they had their first vaccinations about two weeks after and like I said, get set number two next week.

I think we are doing a good job socializing them already. They spend time apart so that they bond to us and not just to each other. They've been exposed to a lot. We do all the grooming stuff and use the lil blow dryer on them and they stay pretty relaxed. They are pretty good on leashes. Better than I thought they would be, honestly. When we take them out, we let people pet them and stuff and the pups do great. They love being outside, they explore and are curious. They do well in a crate at home and in the car. We have a carry bag and they do great in there, too. They're pretty good at basic basic commands and learning to house train very well. The vet commented, too, that they are friendly and confident, not at all scared or skittish.

The biggest issue is that they are not around dogs. My wife and I really only spend time with our families and there's only one dog on either side, who happens to be their grandfather, actually. ;) Soooo they aren't around dogs yet but I would rather be safe then sorry and I will try to do it after they are vaccinated?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Wowwww.... thanks for all the info. Some of these articles/stats I am a bit familiar with but I like hearing all your opinions and input.

The pups were nursing until the day we picked them up. I read that it is useless to vaccinate before they are weaned... therefore, they had their first vaccinations about two weeks after and like I said, get set number two next week.

I think we are doing a good job socializing them already. They spend time apart so that they bond to us and not just to each other. They've been exposed to a lot. We do all the grooming stuff and use the lil blow dryer on them and they stay pretty relaxed. They are pretty good on leashes. Better than I thought they would be, honestly. When we take them out, we let people pet them and stuff and the pups do great. They love being outside, they explore and are curious. They do well in a crate at home and in the car. We have a carry bag and they do great in there, too. They're pretty good at basic basic commands and learning to house train very well. The vet commented, too, that they are friendly and confident, not at all scared or skittish.

The biggest issue is that they are not around dogs. My wife and I really only spend time with our families and there's only one dog on either side, who happens to be their grandfather, actually. ;) Soooo they aren't around dogs yet but I would rather be safe then sorry and I will try to do it after they are vaccinated?
Sounds like you and your wife are doing an awesome job!!! I don't think you should be worried that they are not around other dogs yet...you will have plenty of time to introduce them to other dogs. While I am not an expert on this, I don't think you are going to miss out on anything crucial by not enrolling in this puppy class right away...you can get the same benefit even if you enroll them a few weeks/months later. As I mentioned, Bailey was 5 months old when I adopted him, and he didn't start puppy class until he was 6 months old (I waited till after he got all his shots)...at first he was really nervous around the other dogs and wanted nothing to do with them at all. I kept at it and now he is EXCELLENT with other dogs....he is always very friendly and playful with any new dog he comes across.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh... thanks for that. It really depends on who you ask about this stuff because really, everyone has different opinions on stuff because they heard it from this trainer or their vet thinks this or this worked for their pup... I think that's why it's good to get soooooo many views on this stuff, do your own research and then decide what is best for you and your pup.

I do think we will wait to socialize them with other pups... I'm pretty cautious about that sort of stuff. We love them so much and it would devastate me if something we did made them sick. :( I really wanted to take them to the lil puppy parties but it's more important that they stay healthy. Plus, they do get out a lot and experience lots of stuff and the fact that Bailey was socialized later gives me some hope that they won't be permanently scarred by not interacting with pups before turning 12 weeks, like some sites would like you to believe. :)

Thanks for all your input everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts