Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Vacuum Cleaner Question

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Noah 
#1 ·
Do any of you have/use a vacuum that is designed specifically for tile or hardwood floors?

Which one?

Do you like it?

I'm looking for a new one.

#3 ·
VACUUM?:new_shocked: WHAT'S A VACUUM?:smrofl::smrofl::innocent:

But seriously,Lynn. I don't use any vacuum on hard floors. I'm afraid it will scratch them. I used a slightly damp (water/vinegar)Swiffert WetJet and Swiffer dry pads to get my floors clean.

#5 ·
Sue -- I don't have hardwood -- but everything except my bedroom is tile.

Debbie - DH had an eletrolux when we got married (27 years ago) that he swore by. I would love to get a Dyson, but don't think I'll spend the money right now. I would love to buy that Navistar "Flirt" that they've been advertising, but will wait until the 3rd or 4th generation is out. :)

Marsha -- thanks for the info. I'll look at the reviews. :)

#9 ·
My big vacuum isn't specifically made for hard-surface floors, but it does an amazing job cleaning them. I have a Eureka Boss SmartVac similar to this one (mine is a slightly older model): Boss® SmartVac? 4870MZ Upright Vacuum - Eureka and it has a sealed Hepa filter (one of the first vacuums to have a real Hepa filter). It literally sucks dirt, dust bunnies, etc away from the edges and into the vacuum without actually having to run the vacuum along the edges. You can turn the brushroll off for hardwoods, and it also does an amazing job on carpet as well. The only cons it has is it is very heavy, so if you have to haul it up/down stairs, you will get a workout! It also does require bags, which was still common when I purchased mine but now everyone wants bagless.

The vacuum I WANT to get for my hardwoods & porcelain tile floors is the Hoover Linx Stick-Vac. It is only for the daily touch-ups where you don't want to pull out your huge vacuum. It is cordless and uses a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery that will last for approximately 20 minutes (enough to do those quick swipes around the house). It has amazing reviews everywhere, as one of the best (if not the best) cordless stick-vac. :)

#11 ·
I bought a Riccar 2 years ago, it is by far the best vacuum cleaner I have ever used, it is a canister that has attachments for hardwood, tile and carpet, plus attachments to clean furniture, after 2 years the suction is still as strong as the first day I got it....try one!!

#12 ·
I have the Electrolux canister that has to be nearly 30 years old. It came with two floor attachments, ( the reg nozzle which flips for rugs/hard surfaces and the power nozzle for rugs). Since we got rid of carpet I don't use the latter anymore. I use it about 2 x week and use the swiffer on other days for quick touch ups.

#14 ·
I HIGHLY recommend an Oreck. They are so lightweight, reliable, and they have a HEPA filter, so they're great for people with allergies. I use mine on all surfaces. We just got a new Electrolux at the school where I work and it is the heaviest thing I've ever lifted and it is almost too powerful. Only get one if you're strong!

#15 ·
I also have a Miele and I love it. I've been through a lot of vacuums in my life and it is by far the best. First of all it is quiet...very quiet. If you are only using it on hard floors you don't need a power-head, so it costs a lot less. They make a parquet floor brush and you can get a hepa filter, or just a regular filter. The bags are thick and easy to change. Bagless vacuums with hepa filters make no sense to me, because you get all that dust in the air when you empty it. I have a canister and it is light and very maneuverable.

#17 ·
I love my Miele. It's lightweight, easy to maneuver and quiet. I bought it with the power brush because we still had carpet in the bedrooms. Now I barely use it anymore, the only carpet left is in the bedroom closet. I would never buy a bagless vacuum because of the mess it is to empty it and like Sylie said it does not make sense because of the dust when you empty it.

#16 ·
I'm now starting to look into a new vacuum as well... and want canister type and fairly lightweight... ( getting too old to lug the heavy 'equipment') .

I'm leaning to want to stay with bag type.... have a couple of friends that got the bagless and say they regret it.... say it add just more job they have to do in cleaning ..where the bags is just take out and toss. Though one friend says she doesn't 'like' it but really doesn't mind it all that much.
What are your opinions on the bag vs bagless.

#18 ·
My SIL has a Dyson Animal. It weighs a ton and is noisy. She carries a tall kitchen (plastic) trash bag with her, because she has to empty it several times. She has a shedding beast. So, you get dust when you empty, it is a pain in the butt and you use a plastic bag every time you vacuum. I think some engineer who never vacuumed in his life invented that thing.
My Meile cost a pretty penny, but it will probably last for the rest of my life. That is one purchase I do not regret. Plus it's pretty and a really nice red.

#19 ·
We have hardwood throughout our home and tile in the kitchen/bathrooms. Honestly, I don't vacuum much since we have a cleaning service every 2 weeks....but we have a very inexpensive dirt devil upright vacuum that was around $20. It works awesome on getting up everything off the hard surface floors. I was really happy that we didn't bother with something expensive given how well this works.

This is similar to the one that we have: http://www.target.com/p/Dirt-Devil-Red-Versa-Power-Stick-Vac/-/A-12649684?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|12649684&CPNG=appliances&ci_sku=12649684&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

#20 ·
I've had all kind of vacuums from that SUPER heavy Kirby to cheap(last a year) Eureaks! Right now I love the little Oreck hand canister. It has a nozzle and soft brush for hardwood and tile and smaller attachments for stales and woodwork and furniture. You just put the strap over your shoulder and away you go!! I feel like the guys in Ghostbusters!! when I use it. It's inexpensive but I've had mine for at least10 years and it has great suction. As a matter of fact I'm using mine right now!!!

#21 ·
I have had the Eureka Boss too for many years and works great on carpet and has never lost suction. I don't like bagless vacuums and I don't think they work as well. For tile and hardwood, I have the Haan steam mop. It steam cleans and uses no chemicals. I don't like chemicals on the floor with all my 4 legged kids.

#22 ·
I have recently changed my vaccuming ways. On a wim (my downfall) I splurged on a Dyson cordless stick vaccuum. It was pretty expensive...like $300 but i got 20% off at Bed Bath & Beyond. :thumbsup:

I knew the Dyson name was a good one...and I must say I have been delightfully thrilled with it!

It's light and there's no cord and it has rotating brushes and very good suction!!! And I also updated my old hand held vac to a newer 18V Shark....between the both of them...I'm a happy camper now.

I have all hardwood floors and the man cave is vinyl.

#23 ·
Pat - I finally broke down and purchased a Dyson too. I love mine, but now I wish I had gotten the one you did. Since my house is all tile (except my bedroom which is carpet), I think I would have been happier with the cordless one -- but I do love my Dyson.

#24 ·
I really love my Swiffer Sweeper Vac for my house, which is all wood & tile. It's so lightweight and easy to move around. It's battery operated so there's no cord to get in the way. It's really easy (and never messy for me) emptying the canister. The replacement filters and sheets are quite cheap too.

Before I got it (for free as a bonus for a Staples order) I was always dreading lugging my vacuum out and etching the floors. With the Swiffer Sweeper Vac, I'm covering almost the whole house every day or two in a few minutes and the floors always look clean now. I actually haven't had to vacuum with my real vacuum since I got the sweeper vac a couple of months ago. :blink:

I'm sure the vacuum will get some love next time I spill some potting soil or something, but otherwise, I'm leaving it in the closet. The sweeper vac handles all of my typical daily mess just fine--dog hair, dry leaf bits/grass tracked in from outside, and shredded paper spilled on the floor.

I doubt it would be so handy/useful for someone that only has a couple tiled or wood floors, but for people with mostly wood/tile I think it's a great option if you're looking for something lightweight, especially if you can get it free like I did. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.