Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Ruby, my 4 month old, was diagnosed today with vaginitis. I thought at first that she had a UTI/bladder infection because she went 12 hours without peeing (not because she didn't have the opportunity to go) and then the next several hours peed normally. Then in a span of about 5 hours she literally went ten times. Has anyones dog ever had vaginitis? What causes this? The vet put her on amoxicylln (sp).

Thanks,

Ruby's mom Martha

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is very, very common for puppies to get vaginitis. Depending on whether or not it recurs, things like vaginal strictures or a "tucked" vulva may need to be considered. For some pups with recurrent vaginitis, it may be recommended that they be allowed to go through one heat cycle before being spayed. In dogs with tucked vulvas, often when the vulva swells during their cycle, it pops out and will remain in a better position even after the swelling goes down.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Yup... "been there-done that" too with my Missy. She has had a couple episodes in her lifetime ( also 1 episode of vulvalitis) all happening in her adulthood. The first time the vet gave an ointment with a long thin applicator at the end of the tube which I had to insert and dispense.
Later episodes were caught very early and another vet suggested the A&D ointment and that did the trick, nipping the problem in the bud.
I found with Missy.. she, who normally has pretty acid urine.. would now and again go Alky and that's when the vaginits would happen. ( I test ph at home so can keep careful watch.. and if heads into the Alky range.. I add a few grains of cranberry from a capsule ( and I mean only a few grains).. and that seems to bring her ph back into bettr range and seems to help clear up the problem quickly.
Missysmom

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JMM, I was worried that it was a symptom of something else, like diabetes or liver shunt....guess I'm just a first time mom! :D

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by nataliecmu@May 11 2005, 02:09 PM
What are the symptoms? I have noticed that Tini can go weeks on her normal potty schedule, and then she has a day when she pees like 15-20 times just little dime size pees...I've been debating going to the vet...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61663
[/QUOTE]

Ruby's symptoms were itching in the private area, peeing fairly large amounts and peeing very often and then not at all, plus some not so firm poops and then this morning she did a butt scoot...very strange. She also had some scabbing on her belly and by her vagina from all the scratching/biting. Almost forgot, for the last day or two she was drinking alot more water. Hope this helps!

Ruby's mom Martha

Hope to have a picture posted soon!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@May 11 2005, 03:09 PM
...then she has a day when she pees like 15-20 times just little dime size pees...I've been debating going to the vet...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61663
[/QUOTE]

If you notice this becoming more frequent, (every single day, peeing really frequently but only in tiny amounts) you should definately get her checked out.

I personally had a UTI about a month ago,
but I didn't think it was serious and I thought it'd clear up, so I ignored it.

It worked its way into my kidneys, and I got reeeeeally sick. I had a fever and couldn't hold anything down -- not even water -- which led to dehydration. I've never felt so horrible in my life!

The good news is, taking antibiotics cleared it right up in a matter of days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts