Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
The great news is that on Tuesday (Cha Cha's 7 months b-day), She started eating only the hard kibble!!!! It's a MIRACLE!!! I give her Merrick Puppy Plate!! It's hollistic & she really likes it! Thank goodness.
My question is, in this food there are dried carrots, sweet potatoes and pea's She seems to LOVE the veggies ALLOT! Can anyone give me a list of fruits & veggies that are ok to feed her. She is full grown at 3lbs. and I want to keep her on a natural & healthy diet. Help please!!!
Thanks, Jellybn1

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I just posted this guide to giving your dogs fruit on another thread:

http://www.pet-grub.com/appendixA/scene7.pets

As far as veggies go, baby carrots, frozen green beans (thawed), peppers, squash, really whatever they will eat and doesn't cause tummy upset.

My Lady is diabetic and prior to be diagnosed, her idea of a treat was a Snausage or Beggin Strip. I never would have believed how much she loves her veggies. She has a real addiction to green beans!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am working with the "Animal Medical Center in NYC. They are a "renowned" and prestigious hospital. Maybe their wrong. Also, both parents were 3lbs. We will see... Thanks, Jellybn1

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by jellybn1@Jun 16 2005, 05:17 PM
I am working with the "Animal Medical Center in NYC. They are a "renowned" and prestigious hospital. Maybe their wrong. Also, both parents were 3lbs. We will see... Thanks, Jellybn1 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73174
[/QUOTE]

that's sad. where on earth did you buy your puppy?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy+Jun 16 2005, 06:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-jellybn1
@Jun 16 2005, 05:17 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73174
that's sad. where on earth did you buy your puppy?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73183
[/B][/QUOTE]

Why is it sad? In a little bit with some exercise to develop some muscle that dog would probably be 4 lbs. well within standards!

My puppy Mia is 5 lbs because she is solid muscle from running around in the yard but size wise you would think she is 3. Which to me is perfect. My other one is a Bichon with straight hair (maltese at 10 1/2 lbs for now) sold to me as a Maltese whose parents were 5 and 7 lbs? So secretly I am envious and happy for those whose maltese end up being healthy yet small.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
your puppy still has five more months give or take to go untill full grown... but I would not worry about it. Like kodie said , so long as your puppy is healthy that what matters and it seems to me she eating healthy.

Have you tried the Merrick stew soup. Chester and chelsey go nuts for it ... I give it to them on fridays when we eat out... I figure they can eat out too.
gee I have never seen them eat so fast. I also put some of there kibble in it the last time cause I thought they did not have enough food... they both eat in there creats or chester will end up with no food. He is such a gentelment he will sand back and watch chesley eat until she is done then when he goes ... there nothing left for him.
anyway when I checked there created... all he merrick stew was gone and both of them left the kibble behind like it was the worste tasting food.

Chester love lettes , we don't know why but he goes nuts for it. We just give him a very small piece.. They both like to chew on carrots but they don't eat it unless it in the merrick stew. They will chew the carrot to tiny bits and leave the mess for me to clean up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 27 2005, 10:03 AM
I've neevr heard of Merrick foods before, so I goggled it. Sounds yummy and very healthy!

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113902
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! Do you know of any national chains that may carry it? Thanks in advance! Always learning something new on this forum!!!!!! Thanks to all who share!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by mpd+Oct 27 2005, 01:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Oct 27 2005, 10:03 AM
I've neevr heard of Merrick foods before, so I goggled it. Sounds yummy and very healthy!

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113902

Thanks for the link! Do you know of any national chains that may carry it? Thanks in advance! Always learning something new on this forum!!!!!! Thanks to all who share!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113992
[/B][/QUOTE]
There is a store locator on their website.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Don't know about National chain stores.........my local pet store has it. The Merrick canned is real messy (soupy) and caused Frosty lots of tummy rumbling and loose stools. It is possible he would have gotten used to it, but I didn't want to go through the icky bottom until he did.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Oct 27 2005, 03:11 PM
Don't know about National chain stores.........my local pet store has it.  The Merrick canned is real messy (soupy) and caused Frosty lots of tummy rumbling and loose stools. It is possible he would have gotten used to it, but I didn't want to go through the icky bottom until he did.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114001
[/QUOTE]

I only give it to them as a treat on fridays.. chester also has a real senstive stomack and seemed to be on ok on it. Maybe your puppy is not used to something in it...

yep it is real soup, that why it's messy... I guess you can try to make you own as well eliminating anything your puppy tummy can not handel
I would not give the soup to them everyday.. I how is there normal can food?

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby won't eat any canned food, especially those with gravy or soupy content. I have tried just about every brand and he just simply won't touch it.
I now have him on Royal Canin for small dogs and it a kibble and a miracle too because he loves it. This would have to be the first kibble he has actually eaten without any problems.
I also give him any food we are having mixed with the kibble, he loves broiled steak, steamed chicken breast, any veggies except the baddies like onion, garlic and corn. He loves salad vegies, particlarly raw carrot, red bell pepper, celery, lettuce. I would have to say his favorite is carrot, peas and beans and bell peppers either cooked or raw.
We also give him the occasional teaspoon of natural yoghurt and cottage cheese which he loves.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
One of my Siamese will only eat Royal Canin, too. I just wish they hadn't cheapened the ingredients when they started marketing it here under Waltham. I had fed it years ago to my cats and swore by it, then couldn't get it for years. I was so thrilled to find it again until the local pet boutique owner told me they had stopped carrying it because the company had changed the formula and started adding corn and other cheap fillers.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I just read the lable and you are right there are corn fillers included in the ingredients so I called my vet and asked her what she thought about it. Her answer to me was that the nutritional value of the product is very good and if Scooby is happy to eat it then by all means give it to him. Considering that it is the only kibble that he has taken to readily and he is actually eating much better on it I fully intend to keep him on it. You have no idea how many different high quality natural foods we have tried and ended up giving away to neighbors because Scooby just won't look at them.
The vet says that because he is getting other foods as well he is doing great on the Royal Canin and he is very healthy.
I like it because it is small bits for small fussy dogs and that is exactly what he is. the little stinker

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Oct 27 2005, 08:37 AM
size shouldnt matter... health is the most important thing.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113886
[/QUOTE]

Health is number one, but I have to disagree a bit on the size.
If size did not matter, wouldn't we all have rottweilers or a gorgeous Pyrenees?

A healthy within standards maltese makes it very convenient to take along while travelling! That was one of my considerations, being able to take puppies along on airplanes.

However, by the time they are full grown we are too attached
to them to get rid of them because of their size, which they had no control over! :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts