Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to vent about my Dr. appointment yesterday. They are SO arrogant!! I take Thyroid medication and I can always tell when my dosage is off one way or the other. I have been having my "classic symptoms" of a to low dose and brought them up to the Dr. (this is a new Dr for me). He had the b*lls to PAT ME ON THE HEAD and say "why don't you let ME worry about that and you quit "playing Doctor". I asked him just who in the h*ll he thought he was and I got my stuff and left, on the way out I reminded the receptionist to not bother billing me as I didn't have an appointment!! I was so mad I told her and everyone there that they could all go
themselves!!! There, now I feel a little better.....
sorry....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
oh my gosh! i cant believe your doctor would say something like that! and you have guts!!! thats really good that you said something though. you know how many times people have said crap and i didnt stand up for myself?? well...you make me proud!

and to tell them to "go
yourself"!!!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WOOHOO! You go girl! He no longer has balls because you definitely took them away from him! PUAHAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
323 Posts
SISSES MOM-I am an administrator for physicians and if any of mine acted the way that one did I would not blame you for telling him off. Being condescending to a patient is never acceptable, more often than not a patient like you that has had a long standing health issues knows their body very well and can be a great gauge of whether things need adjusted. (I am like you with my thyroid meds I know when I need a change after 22 years of being on them
). I hope your next experience is better. If you gave them your insurance information you might want to contact your insurance company and make sure they do not allow a billing to be paid for that office, in case they try to bill...just a suggestion....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Way to go! You got balls because you took his! lol Dr's are always like that to me too. I hate when Dr's think they know more than you. It's your body, you should know. I don't care how long they have been practicing medicine!
When I was a teen I had knee problems (still do that's just when I noticed them) and I was telling a Dr. what I thought was wrong. My brother and I have almost the exact physical handicaps so when he had surgery and found out what was wrong with his knees, I knew that's why mine were hurting too. But the Dr. didn't listen. He kept telling me I was wrong and I needed to exercise and make the muscle around my knee cap stronger so it could support my knee. Now I wasn't fat when I was a teen but he said most girls had this problem. So for years I exercised and for years I told him it was getting worse and the exercise wasn't working and for years he kept telling me I was the one that was wrong. Well when I was 18 they did knee surgery on both my knees and guess who was right? Sure as heck wasn't that arrogant Dr. Turns out the exercise was actually making my knees worse! Jerk! If it wasn't a free clinic I would have sued! Then after the surgery the Drs told me not to exercise lol.
My handicaps are unusual in that my brother and I are the only documented cases in the world. We actually had our pictures taken one year and were put in medical journals. Don't ask what ones cause I have no clue. That's just what I was told when they wanted to take my pictures. Whatever I figure it's good to get it documented so it can help someone else if they ever have what I have.
Anyway since my handicaps aren't normal most Drs don't really listen to me. I have come across many arrogant Drs that I wish I could have told off. One Dr actually had the nerve to tell me that I was wrong for not wanting genetic counseling. He kept asking me what if I got pregnant and the ultra sound showed they had the same handicap as me? He was basically asking if I would have an abortion. Well I wish I could have told him to "go
himself" but I just told him that it didn't matter, I wouldn't love them any less. My niece and nephew are like my brother and I don't love them any less. What a jerk to think that I wouldn't want a handicap kid. Like genetic counseling would prevent my kids from being handicapped anyway.
I love my new Dr. It doesn’t even seem to faze them that my arms are different. They just take my pulse or blood the way I tell them to and they don’t even ask 100 questions like some other Drs and nurses I have been around. I think they are just waiting for me to tell them or something. They just go by what I wrote on my papers when I first started going there.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
omg ..I am nearly speechless..and that takes a LOT! My doc ALWAYS listens to me. especially the one who manages my depression meds. He always asks me how I felt about the meds..how an increase/decrease was effecting me and even tells me if I feel like I am getting much worse after a change, to change them back immediately. He gives me the power to help myself..but has final say. Dang, I would have just said..I guess I'll find another doc!
way to go!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Wow, I can't believe your dr. treated you that way. Good for you for walking out. I hope you find a better dr. who understands a thing or two about respect.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What an arrogant ass. Glad you walked out. Having respect for people is just as important for a physician as possessing good clinical skills.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
First off: Way to go, Sisses Momma!

Originally posted by MalteseJane@Feb 2 2005, 08:56 PM
My husband walked out of his cardiologist's office because he had enough of him being always late.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33066
[/QUOTE]

I hate when doctors are late. I once had a doctor's office call to see if I could come in an hour and half early because there were no appointments before mine. So I show up early and then end up sitting in the waiting room for an hour and finally get shown to a room only to sit for another 45 minutes. Why the heck did they have me come in early?!?!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Feb 3 2005, 11:59 AM
Maybe I come from a different line of thinking, but I don't mind waiting for the doctor.  Yesterday I had a dr. appt. and I waited two hours.  I look at it like this, I can't complain because when my dr. sees me, he is thorough, friendly and willing to answer any of my questions.  Also, if he needs that extra time for another patient--take it.  I would hope when I need that time he would give it to me and I would hope others would be willing to let him give me the time.  Afterall, we are dealing with our health--I want to be as well informed as possible.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33144
[/QUOTE]

I am the EXACT same way! We often have to wait at the pediatrician's office...but I KNOW that it is because she is taking the same time/care with the other patients as she will with me and my children. I don't have a problem with that at all!!! If I thought people were piddling around picking their noses...that would be different.

I did have to take Emily to the ER on New Year's Day because of a bladder infection. We needed antibiotics ASAP! We waited 3 and half hours...and there was hardly any patients there!!! I was really getting furious! We had to have a lab test run, but that took less than five minutes...we have had one before. I have NO idea what took so long...but there was NO excuse for it in my book, and I told them so!!
Ha ha!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Feb 3 2005, 10:59 AM
Maybe I come from a different line of thinking, but I don't mind waiting for the doctor.  Yesterday I had a dr. appt. and I waited two hours.  I look at it like this, I can't complain because when my dr. sees me, he is thorough, friendly and willing to answer any of my questions.  Also, if he needs that extra time for another patient--take it.  I would hope when I need that time he would give it to me and I would hope others would be willing to let him give me the time.  Afterall, we are dealing with our health--I want to be as well informed as possible.
[/QUOTE]

The reason why I was pissed about the time I mentioned is that I was having surgery on my thumb the next day. They doctor literally came in looked at my x-ray and said see you in surgery tomorrow and left. He wasn't in the room for more than 30 seconds. I waited an hour and 45 minutes for a 30 second visit! He never did explain what they were going to do in the surgery. I didn't find out until after the surgery that they were going to put a tube down my throat.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Feb 3 2005, 12:59 PM
[/QUOTE]

I agree that they should take their time with you and others but what they should not do is pack their day with too many patients that they can't see in a timely matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts