Here we go again... :new_Eyecrazy:

· Registered
7,533 Posts

· Registered
7,533 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Aug 4 2005, 01:23 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2005, 01:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo

What a beautiful girl!! My mom lost her 15 year old, red Dobie, Amber this past winter.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87161

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Carrie, she was the most beautiful companion my children and I had while they were growing up. Sadly we lost her to something they call Wobbler Syndrome where the spine becomes deformed over the years and she had a fall in the back yard and one of her vertabre was pinching her spinal cord which rendered her paralized from the neck down. She was 10 years old a the time and it broke our hearts. My son carried her into the vet's on her last day with us and we had to put her to rest. This was in Australia and would you believe I have her ashes here with me in the US in her sealed urn to this day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87168
[/B][/QUOTE]

She was very beautiful. I like how her ears were kept natural. I'm sorry to hear that happened to her. That is very sad. It's wonderful you have her ashes with you.

· Registered
7,533 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Aug 5 2005, 10:25 AM
I've seen the stories of the sweetest pit bulls and how gentle they can be.......BUT, don't they have like the strongest jaws of any canine?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87385
[/QUOTE]

Uhh....I thought that was a myth...?

· Registered
7,533 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+Aug 5 2005, 10:47 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pico's Parent
@Aug 5 2005, 09:25 AM
I've seen the stories of the sweetest pit bulls and how gentle they can be.......BUT, don't they have like the strongest jaws of any canine?  If that is so, then comparing an attack or bite by a Lab to that of a Pit Bull is not comparing the same potential for injury.

My friend was attacked as she walked from the sidewalk onto her driveway by two pit bulls owned by the neighbor across the street from her.  The dummies had the dogs out front unleashed!  My friend was knocked to the ground as both dogs set on her and tore large wounds in her upper arms and back until the owners were able to get the dogs off her. 

So the danger is in the firepower of an untrained or poorly trained dog.  Like the difference between a bb gun and a shotgun.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87385

Is yes they do have a strong jaw, however it does not lock, they have done scientfic studies and there is no difference in the structure of their jaw. The difference in a pit bull bite and say a lab, a lab will loosen its hold to regrip a pitbull once it has a hold will not attempt to regrip. In breaking up a dog fight you are more likely to be bitten by a non pit bull due to the simple fact that they bite and regrip, creating a snapping action. Sorry if that does make sense I can not think of a better way to describe it. Although I agree that they do need a responsible owner and aren't for everyone, the same holds true for any breed. They are terriers they have the attitude that all terrier breeds have. My friends yorkie will kill a rabbit in a min and does so everytime she find a nest. So yes the size and power of the dog does inflict more damage, but remember this for every pit bull story you see in the news there are 3 or 4 with labs, mutts, huskys, malamutes that you don't see because the media doesn't report them. For all those who support BSL take a carefull look at the list of dogs on there. No more malamutes, huskys, st bernards, rotties, dobes, german shepherds, boviars, and many other breeds including the pit bull. Pitbulls should be made extinct because the wrong people own them? Well then following that logic shouldn't our malts and other toy breeds be banned look at all the horrible puppymillers that own them, look at all the dogs that are fear biters due to lack of socialization we try to save them because they are that way due to bad breeding and the way they are treated and/or raised is no fault of their own they are what they are. Why do pits not get the same? They didn't choose to be so overbred and genetically mutilated, to have drug dealers and other low lifes see them as a status symbol, to be starved kept on a 4 ft chain, beaten till they fight, fed gunpowder, have no other human contact. We made them what they are it is our job to save them. I and many others will continue to fight to keep this breed as what is should be loyal, family orientated, loving, goofy and alive. The first dog ever awarded a medal by the US military was a pittie the extent of their love and loyalty to people is astounding. I challenge everyone here to get to know one pit bull personally and see what the breed truelly is not what the media makes them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87398
[/B][/QUOTE]

I do know a Pit Bull (her name is Lilly) and I know an AmStaf (who is ALWAYS misidentified as a pittie, named Sugar...and hes a boy....) They are beautiful dogs, and they are not aggressive. I remember walking into Lilly's house, and her bounding at me and thinking "oh crap" because of what I have heard about them. Well, all she was doing was greeting me. LOL I'm glad I was educated first hand by her and Sug.
I was also attacked when I was younger, I was badly bitten in the face and hands, I was smart enough to turn over and cover my face as soon as I could. Then he bit me several times in the back and the back of the head. I was in the hospital for 3 days. I still have scars on my back and my face above my eye (which they thought I was going to lose) When I got home, the owner of the dog had sent my parents a bill for the dog having to have my glasses surgically removed from inside of him. Ironic, huh? I was attacked by a King Doberman Pinscer. He was running loose through the cemetery, we didn't even know he was there until he was about 5 or 6 feet from me, from which point he jumped and attacked me. From what I was told, he was a guard dog for a local business and they let him run in the cemetery once a week for exercise. Normally he was on a short chain in the back of the business (where they didnt have a cage door protecting the business).
The odd thing about this is, I forget I was attacked, I am NOT afraid of the breed. I feel bad for everyone, but I have NEVER once held it against the dog, or any certain breed of dog. One of my friends was attacked by a Great Dane a couple of years ago. His face was completely torn off. He had to have many surgeries to correct it. Another friend was attacked by a **** Hound, she still has scars on her face. All of us were attacked by dogs that were owned by irresponsible people. It should never be blamed on the breed.

· Registered
7,533 Posts
Don't be sorry, I'm not.

What I was trying to say, is that there are many types of dogs who attack, and when it does happen- there was some sort of irresponsibility involved.

As a great website says "Punish the DEED not the BREED".

I love all dogs, big or small, stereo-typically mean or gentle.....all.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.