Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the fluffs in for their check up and all came out straight A+s. I'm always happy to hear everyone is in good nick! :chili:He said their hearts are strong and good muscle tone.

My 2 newbies gained 2 pounds each since I got them. He couldn't get over the muscle tone on the Malts especially. He couldn't believe how strong they were,while he holding them to get blood drawn...

I told him we walk 2 miles any time the weather is nice.When we lived in Naples we'd walk 3 miles. He couldn't believe the Malts could make it that far,even 3 pound Rylee,who is now 5 pound Rylee. Rylee isn't carrying his leg funny now,he doesn't have that "hitch in his giddyup" like he did.

He said he didn't feel any fat on them. He has a couple people w/ Malts and their joints pop and they have no muscle tone to speak of. He said he couldn't feel any issues w/ the joints,so the long walking is ok to do.

Vet said he's going to recommend longer walks for those w/ Malts,since obviously it does them a lot of good. He said ,no wonder our dogs are in such good shape and live so long.

I love taking them on walks,it gives us some fun time,we talk and play and take breaks and they get a drink from the water bottle and a little treat when we get back.

I'm just so happy they're thriving and doing so well. Looking forward to many happy year together.:wub:

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Great news!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
How wonderful that they all got such good reports from the vet!!! I wish "I" could walk three miles. LOL

·
Registered
847 Posts
This is great news! Congrats on taking such good care of so many babies! It's also good to know that Malts can handle walks on the longer side. I love walking Leila but was always worried about overexercising her (even after only a mile or so..)

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thrilled they're doing so well,considering how bad the health of the 2 rehomers were when I got them.. To think,the person I got them from was going to euthanize them..$700 to get them well or $20 to euthanize them at a shelter. I get so mad when I think about it.
My babies look forward to walkies,so they must love it. We built up over a couple weeks,back to the 2 mile walk. The benefits are great,we all get healthy and we get some quality bonding puppy time.

5 fluffs are a lot of work,but a lot of fluffy joy too.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Gosh, I don't know how you handle five fluff butts on a walk. I have difficulty with two! You go girl!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Ahhhh wonderful news on the vet-checkup!!!
As to walks for mine, naddie LOVES it and I think would go on and on as far as she could. mr. Quincy on the other hand isn't 'into' it LOL he sees the harness and leash come out and he runs and hides under the table LOL of course I do 'make' him do some because he needs but when we go he won't just 'walk...he trots and tires himself out ...like "Ok I gotta do this, let's get it overwith!" LOL
Even inside, Quincy tends to 'trot/run' from place to place rather than just 'stroll'...don't know why .

Your babies are sooo blessed to have you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great News! always nice to hear good news :)

My little guy is 5 months and goes about 1 to 2 miles with us always...

I always heard little ones cant go far but I took him the very first time and just went further and further. Me and my son also do sprints and jog with him. Seems like he never gets tired LOL

Seems like a myth that small breeds cant go on long walks my boy loves them :)

again great news enjoy !

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard that too. My cockers have always gone on long walks,we've done up to 6 miles w/ some belly rub/kissy breaks along the way. I took the kids out and we built up to it.
I can tell you it took about 2- 3 walks before I felt comfortable w/ making them walk tht far but I bet they took it better than I did... They were ready to boogie the whole way from day one.
Rylee being so tiny and luxing patellas,I figured we'd take it slow. He would see nothing of that,we did male mile one day,1 mile the next and 2 the next after that. His limp is much less now,so it must be helping. He only did that little carry the leg limp occationally but now he hardly does it at all.

People should realize animals are built to go long distances are part of their survival,deer are able to do that w/in a few hours of birth... Think how healthy many more Malts would be if people wouldn't carry them absolutely everywhere and let them walk... sure be careful in situations where walking could be hazardous but let them walk,they love it.

I am guilty of loving to carry my babies too, I get to kiss and sniff and hug them,it's hard to want to put them down...:wub:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts