Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
So Riley is our first dog so we love him dearly and whenever he has a problem we bring him to the vet. Now i know vets are expensive but I just want to know what you guys think is expensive. I dont know if were getting over charged to the vet we go to so today I took riley in because he has a circular bald spot on his right leg behind. Now the doctor charges 50$ standard exam fee, he also gave Riley an antibiotic and he gave us a topical cream called: Fuciderm Gel 15g, he also did a skin scrape test. For all that we paid $222

Does that seem reasonable or a bit high? Oh and on a side note he couldnt figure out what he got it from he kept on saying it could be many different things, which is understandable but i still didnt get my answer.

Looking forward to some comments!
Best of day!

-Riley and Peter

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Sounds about what my vet would charge. I love her, but the vets are soooooo expensive! I need to check into insurance for her.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insurance for Riley is if you put $1000 its 20$ a month or if nothing down payment 24$

·
Registered
552 Posts
It seems a little expensive to me, but I'm sure vet fees vary from place to place. My vet fees are lower than that but I live in a low cost-of-living area. Even here the fees are different from place to place. Our first vet in town charged over 30 bucks for an anal gland expression while my current vet charges 18 (totally worth it for someone else to clean out my pet's butt....)! It's totally fine to look around at different vets or look into pet insurance. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in a pretty metropolitan city, just one city outside of Toronto maybe thats why then

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I paid 46.70$ for the last examination here in Surprise, Az.
My Houston vet was very expensive. Paid 63$ in 2007 for Examination and Consultation. You don't want to know what I paid in 2008, there were so many things involved but I wonder if I have not been charge twice for the same thing. So like some one else said, it depends also the area you live in.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
The fees you paid are right in line with what my vet charges. Did you dog have a rabies shot or any other vaccine recently? My Bogie got a bald spot right where his rabies shot was given. Although my vet at the time had no idea what the bald spot was from, I since found out that it is not uncommon to have that kind of reaction after vaccines.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I think, as everyone said, it depends on where you live - in Boston - that would be considered "cheap" -

Office visit's here are fourty-dollars. (At our local vets office.)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
WOW I guess I got a good deal ...I am in Houston,TX I paid 175.00 for Baileys bloodwork, getting her spayed and microchip and pain medication.

The office visit at my vet's is $25.00 Dr.Garza always says he tries to keep his prices reasonable:):)

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I had to take Madison to the ER vet over Thanksgiving. It was $95 for an office visit; total bill for one test, some SQ fluid, and an anti-nausea injection was $442! (They wanted to hospitalize her for 1-3 days - $3500! I declined for several reasons)

We took her to our regular vet on Tuesday for a followup. It was $45.00 for the office visit.

By the way, she is fine now.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Vet fees

Since I am mother to 4 fluffs, I purchase the Optimum Wellness Plan from Banfield at Pet Smart. this includes all vaccines and teeth cleaning. I paid out of pocket for Mimie's spaying 250.00 bt Cappi and Max's neuter is covered by the plan too. no money out of pocket for that.

I pay 122.00 monthly and I love the Vet they have. I make it a point to book my appointments on the days she is there.

Ladie is almost 6 years old and she has never been sick. Mimie is 2 never sick but when she was pregnant the plan covered her and the check up for pups once they were born.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts